Donald Trump is unfit to govern because he enthusiastically supports torture

Donald Trump reacted to the suicide bombings at the airport in Istanbul by claiming that we need to torture our enemies. MSNBC reports,

Trump seemed particularly annoyed that the United States feels the need to act lawfully. “We have laws; they don’t have laws,” the GOP candidate said last night in Ohio, adding, “Their laws say you can do anything you want and the more vicious you are the better.”

From there, Trump transitioned to emphasizing his support for barbarism. “You have to fight fire with fire,” he declared. “We have to be so strong. We have to fight so viciously. And violently because we’re dealing with violent people viciously.”

Trump added, “Can you imagine [ISIS members] sitting around the table or wherever they’re eating their dinner, talking about the Americans don’t do waterboarding and yet we chop off heads? They probably think we’re weak, we’re stupid, we don’t know what we’re doing, we have no leadership. You know, you have to fight fire with fire.”

I could not care less whether members of ISIS think we are weak and stupid. Their opinions are irrelevant. We will win the war against ISIS on the battlefield with superior military forces, tactics and weapons. We will win the hearts and minds of the people by fighting honorably and respecting the rule of law.

Torture, which includes waterboarding, is prohibited by international law. When used during witness interrogations, it does not reliably produce the truth. Instead, it produces confirmation of the interrogator’s suspicions. Used otherwise, it’s a manifestation of a psychosexual disturbance that will produce incalculable suffering, multigenerational hate, desire for revenge and war everlasting.

Donald Trump is unfit to govern because he does not understand the consequences of using torture. He is a one-trick pony who only thinks in terms of being meaner and nastier than his opponents. The world is not a junior high school playground and he needs professional help.

18 Responses to Donald Trump is unfit to govern because he enthusiastically supports torture

1. Carlyle Moulton says:

Professor, what happened to your post on torture?

2. Kelly Payne says:

TORTURE IS A CRIME AND A VIOLATION OF INTERNATIONAL TREATIES.

3. Trump likes the idea of waterboarding. Hitler was fond of forced labor and gas chambers. : /

4. Politico: Trump says he doesn’t understand why he isn’t leading in the polls and blames the media

• girlp says:

Poor thing, so sorry not everybody loves him. He gave a disjointed speech that reminded me of Sarah Palin. The Republicans can forget it, Trump will never change because he can’t.

5. masonblue says:

Politico: Trump says he doesn’t understand why he isn’t leading in the polls

6. Donald Trump is also unfit to govern because he’s a narcissistic idiot.

• I agree. I didn’t mean to suggest that his enthusiasm for torture is the only reason he’s unfit.

For example, I believe he’s a con man who belongs in prison for defrauding people out of millions of dollars with his Trump University scheme.

It’s too bad that the party elites (both the dems and reps) don’t see what’s happening. They have their heads so far up their nether regions trying to protect their power and prestige that they don’t get it: Most people are totally fed up with the elite’s sense of entitlement and ends-justify-the-means mentality. Those that have bought the fear propaganda and the bigotry due to their own sense of entitlement, see Trump as the hero. They don’t see that he’s on all sides of every issue and they are buying into only that part with which they agree. Otoh, there are those who bought into the Trump is too crazy to govern so they go for the lesser evil, Clinton. How can we have a president who has is so thoroughly disliked as Trump and Clinton? Now is the time for another party, but it looks like the Libertarians have the edge over the Green Party. And they are scary too because their brand only works for those with lots of resources without regard for the predators just waiting to prey on those without the resources when the laws protecting us are rescinded.

Just saw a video where a scientist demonstrated how the jet streams from north of the equator are merging.with those south of the equator. It’s the jet streams that regulate the temperatures of the seasons. Mix them up and we can expect havoc to be raised with the food crops. Scare propaganda or science?

• Although the lesser of two evils is still evil, I’m going to vote for Hillary to keep Trump from winning. I’m not happy about the choice because I’d rather vote for Bernie. Nevertheless, I think Hillary is significantly better than Trump. He’s crazy, scary and dangerous.

So whatcha’ gonna do when Trump is indicted for fraud and Hillary is indicted for treason (by using a hackable server). Of course, she won’t be indicted, but what if……

Ok, so now I know that the FBI doesn’t recognize a crime when it sees it. Still won’t vote. Guess what she did is espionage, not treason? Whatever. Amsterdam was such a great city when I visited many years ago. Wonder how it is now?

Dropped some words. Won’t vote for Hillary. My initial reaction to the FBI presser was to vote for Trump, I’ll show them. But I can still send a message with a vote or Jill Stein.

• I don’t believe she committed a crime. See my new post

Wasn’t espionage or treason because it was not communicated to or intercepted by unauthorized third parties.

He is definitely unfit to govern, but I disagree that he needs professional help. Professional help is for people who have a goal, or, obviously, a court-mandated responsibility, to change their lives or to change themselves in some significant way. We have a society that rewards people like Drumpf. All he wants is more of what he has already been given, in terms of these rewards. He has no reason to want to change either himself or his life. He simply wants to dominate others and make them change THEIR lives to his benefit. Unfortunately (yes this sounds terrible) this kind of person is not ever going to become an acceptable member of our society or any society in which any rational self-respecting human would want to live. He cannot be good for anyone and he cannot be a working, or even a gratuitously supported non-working member of society. I would never support laws who would kill such people but I would readily support laws that limited their ability to impinge upon the lives of others.

• When I say he needs professional help, I’m focusing on his mental illness. I agree with your point that he does not believe he’s mentally ill and would not voluntarily seek treatment. That makes him untreatable and dangerous to others, but I don’t believe that he will be involuntarily committed. I’m committed to using my writing to prevent him from being elected president. That’s the most I can do.