Death with dignity should be a fundamental human right

Lindsey Bever of the Washington Post wrote on Friday,

One gunshot.

Then another.

Within minutes, a prominent death-with-dignity advocate was shot dead along with his ailing wife in an assisted living center in Florida.

Eighty-one-year-old Frank Kavanaugh — who served on the national advisory board for the Final Exit Network, an advocacy organization in the right-to-die debate — was discovered dead in the early morning hours Tuesday alongside his wife, 88-year-old Barbara Kavanaugh.

The couple was found at the Solaris HealthCare Charlotte Harbor center in Port Charlotte, Fla. Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Skip Conroy said the case is being investigated as a murder-suicide.

I support death with dignity via physician assisted suicide. There are any number of ways to design the process for the purpose of excluding a spur-of-the-moment decision based on situational depression. If the woman in this case could have opted for physician assisted suicide, she likely would have, given the information in the article. However, it was not an option.

My English teacher in high school did what Frank Kavanaugh did. She shot to death her terminally-ill-with-cancer lover and then drove to the police station where she committed suicide by shooting herself in the head. She left a note explaining why she did it.

I was shocked, of course, as all of us were, but we respected her decision and the courage it took to do what she did.

Since most people do not want to commit suicide and could not be talked into it, I doubt that physician assisted suicide would unleash a tsunami of suicides.

For more information, please read another story by Lindsey Bever about Brittany Maynard, the 29-year-old woman who was terminally ill with a stage 4 malignant brain tumor. She chose to die with dignity in her own bed at home via physician-assisted suicide surrounded by her loved ones.

I would like to see death with dignity via physician-assisted suicide designated as a fundamental human right.

____________________________________________

PS: Rachel’s father passed peacefully early Saturday morning. Our cat, Byrd, was killed by a vehicle on the street behind our house at approximately the same time. We found his cold body lying in the street when we walked out to our car at dawn. I buried him deep in the woods on a hill overlooking a lake.

17 Responses to Death with dignity should be a fundamental human right

1. girlp says:

I’m a little confused about the e-mail thing, some report that Clinton broke the law others that she did not follow policy(s). I’m thinking more like not following policy as it was not against the law to have the private email in other words she may have been careless not that this is ok. Not great but if she is the nominee I will still vote for her over the sociopath. I don’t believe they would have released this report if they intended to charge her with anything. I also keep in mind the State Department has been hacked on the secure server many times and it’s reported no one stole classified information from her. So did she commit a crime or was this not properly following policy.

Those who have a security clearance have various laws with which they must comply. A private email server isn’t in compliance with those laws. She could have used her own server for her personal emails, but everything related to her job should have been on a government secured server. If her personal server was hacked (and there is a report that Russia has her emails but I’m not sure how true this is) then she could subject to charges of treason.

Strange, I ran across this story about human trafficking and got quite a little “uh oh” when I realized how much Zubin Parekh looks like Fogen!

See?

• girlp says:

He does but so large. So many perverts in positions that put them in close proximity to youth, it’s scary.

OT In a previous post I indicated that it should be up to the party to choose its candidates. My view comes from being active in the Green Party which, in a small and vulnerable state, could easily be taken over, much like the Republican Party that nominated and elected Michelle Bachman and the various Tea Party folks. I’m coming around to the idea that maybe the parties should be opened up to include those who don’t specify a party. I still think that Dems should vote in the Dem primary and Repubs in the the Repub party, but both should be open to those who don’t belong to either. I have been convinced by the number of independents who won’t have anything to do with the major parties as they are constituted but who have become active because of the Sanders and Trump campaigns.

• gblock says:

Although I don’t back Bernie as a candidate (I don’t think that his knowledge and experience are broad enough to make him a good president), I think that his candidacy could do the Democratic Party a lot of good in the long run. A lot of potential voters, especially young people, have stayed independent instead of affiliating with one of the parties. Bernie Sanders’ candidacy could result in a lot of those people joining the Democratic Party and pulling it in a more progressive direction.

On the other hand, the Republican Party is in desperate need of a positive new direction, but there is no way that Trump can provide it in any direct way. Trump only stands for two things: Trump and finger-pointing. Unfortunately, none of the aspiring candidates for that party (who have since dropped out) have provided the positive new direction needed.

No one knows everything that we would like a President to know but do you think that Bernie is wise enough to get good advisors and then listen to them?

• gblock says:

I think that, at best, there needs to be some direction from the top, and the learning curve will be much steeper for Bernie Sanders than for Hillary Clinton.

Missing you folks. Processing grief and family stuff can take awhile. Still, hope you are doing well, all things considered.

• gblock says:

So he thinks that he should get blood money after the fact for killing a black teenager who wasn’t hurting anyone, What a conceited a-hole. I’m getting the impression that the auction websites, fortunately, have enough decency and good taste to kick him off.

When he runs totally out of money and out of resources, he comes up with something to “creatively” solve his problems. I think that was his motive for killing Trayvon Martin: It was the end of February. Shelly was totally fed up with him and ready to leave; she went to her father’s. His own family didn’t want to bail him out again. He had no real job and no prospects and no money even for his twinkie habit. His idea was that since the cops wouldn’t hire him, he’d make RTL Housing Committee hire him (for at least the cost of his rent) as the armed guard for the neighborhood, but the only way he could accomplish that was to show them that they were in grave danger daily and therefore, he had to be armed and posted all day all over the place so he could protect them and their property. He set out to find someone to “bring in” for the cops (who were not good enough to protect the endangered terrorized neighborhood on their own and he decided to “bring in” Trayvon Martin. But Martin ran and then screamed for help and in the end poor old Fogen was forced to shoot him to restrain him; otherwise he might “get away.” Remember “effin’ punks-or-coons-whatever, they always get away!”?

Last time he had to set up a “HERO SCENARIO” to get some money; now he comes up with the idea of a “HERO AUCTION” to revive his flagging celebrity. We know what else is flagging don’t we? (Hey, no domestic violences charges recently? He must not be getting any dates.)

• gblock says:

I haven’t seen any updates on the Apperson case recently. Is it still pending? Based on the charges and what the DA said, it sounded as though he totally bought Fogen’s story about the incident. To me, what Fogen said happened sounded like a really bad movie script.

I haven’t found a good update either. I could look up the case at the courthouse using whatever searches Florida courts provide, but don’t have time just now.

• girlp says:

People like Fogen get away with almost everything they do. Someone will murder him one day, most likely in in self-defense. Unfortunately most likely they will be charged with 1st or 2cnd degree murder and spend their life in prison even though they were standing their ground.

So sorry for your loss.

6. Disappointed says:

Sorry to read Crane’s father passed and your cat. When it rains it pours. I think it is our right to decide what we want done with our body. Healthy sick or dead it still belongs to me.