The Prince of Peace is disgusted by many who claim to worship him

Due to a wave of hostile criticism, the Augusta County School District in Virginia has cancelled classes today.

The Huffington Post is reporting today,

A Virginia school district closed all of its schools and offices after an outcry over a high school geography lesson that included an example of Arabic religious calligraphy.

The lesson, which was part of a world geography class at Riverheads High School, asked the students to copy the Arabic letters that translate to: “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

The school said the lesson wasn’t to promote Islam but to study “the artistic complexity of the calligraphy,” superintendent Eric Bond said in a news release cited by the News Leader newspaper.

In addition, the Virginia Department of Education confirmed to the Daily Progress that the lesson met state geography standards, which require learning the language and religion of each region under study.

But some parents were outraged.

“I will not have my children sit under a woman who indoctrinates them with the Islam religion when I am a Christian, and I’m going to stand behind Christ,” Kimberly Herndon, an Augusta County parent, told CBS 6.

Meanwhile, Salon is reporting,

An Evangelical Christian college suspended a tenured professor for insisting that Christians and Muslims “worship the same God,” echoing the pope.

Dr. Larycia Alaine Hawkins is an associate professor of political science at Wheaton College, an Evangelical private liberal arts school in Wheaton, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. She has taught at the school for seven years.

Last week, in the midst of a wave of anti-Muslim attacks and hate crimes, Hawkins announced that she would publicly wear a hijab, a traditional Islamic headscarf, in solidarity with Muslims during the Christian season of Advent.

Hawkins said she asked the leading Muslim civil rights organization the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) “whether a non-Muslim wearing the hijab was haram (forbidden), patronizing, or otherwise offensive to Muslims,” and noted she “was assured by my friends at CAIR-Chicago that they welcomed the gesture.”

“I don’t love my Muslim neighbor because s/he is American. I love my Muslim neighbor because s/he deserves love by virtue of her/his human dignity,” Hawkins wrote in a Dec. 10 Facebook post explaining her decision.

“I stand in religious solidarity with Muslims because they, like me, a Christian, are people of the book,” she added. “And as Pope Francis stated last week, we worship the same God.”

“As I tell my students, theoretical solidarity is not solidarity at all,” Hawkins explained. “Thus, beginning tonight, my solidarity has become embodied solidarity.”

Hawkins’ act of inter-religious solidarity went viral, and was covered in a variety of news outlets.

Her school, on the other hand, was not enthused by Hawkins’ finding common cause with Muslims.

I am speechless.

What do you think?

12 Responses to The Prince of Peace is disgusted by many who claim to worship him

Considering that the message of Jesus was love, tolerance, and forgiveness, far too many of today’s “Christians” just don’t have a clue. Christianity for some has become synonymous with ignorance, intolerance and bigotry.

The person who said that Christians and Muslims worship the same God is correct. Islam accepts the Bible.

I always said that if Jesus returned now, he would find it impossible to live here. First of all, the crosses he would see everywhere would scare the Hell out of him; he would be sure he was living in Rome and everyone he saw supported crucifixion! AND he would not be able to teach, as he made his lifestyle in his home from AD 1-33. He would be reviled as an immigrant and denied food stamps and he would be homeless. Nobody would suffer their children to go to learn from him. He’d end up in a jail or a private prison. His public defender would try to get him placed in a mental facility instead of prison, but he would fail.

Virginia has an irremediable history of unconstitutional, inhumane, anti-American, anti-freedom, unChristian, reprehensible conduct dating back to its colonial birth. Its standard bearers have always been shameless.

As far as “standing with god” is concerned: they wouldn’t know where to find the place to stand. Certainly, before standing there, they’d have to leave Virginia.

Oh, and here are a few things they would have to take out of the curriculum to be consistent with their present idiocy: (1) Study of all history prior to 2016 years ago; (2) study of the period from BCE 4 to CE 400; (3) Study of the “dark ages” of Europe; (4) Study of the medieval period of Europe; (5) study of the “Renaissance”; (6) study of the “modern era” up to 2016.

That pretty much leaves: math (thanks to the Arab contribution, which gave us Arabic numerals); science (no, skip that, it’s ungodly); and two or three languages (but not any language that has the words “Flying Spaghetti Monster” in it).

As for Dr. Hawkins is concerned, I bet she looks terrific in hijab.

4. girlp says:

And the bigotry continues

5. O/T: Today is Keith Richard’s 72nd birthday. My favorite tweet is:

“We’re going to have to start worrying about what kind of a world we’re going to leave for him.”

• anita says:

I absolutely love & adore Keith & all the Stones. I remember the 1st time they were on Ed Sullivan, I was almost eight. I remember today is his birthday. I’ll go read some of the tweets. It’s scary to think “what kind of world we’ll leave for him”. Yes, girlp, the bigotry and stupidity continues! Trump is practically praising Putin, so sick. Thanks for the great post, Prof.

The Prince of Peace loves “sinners”, those whose minds are obscured by error, but is likely despairing at how stubborn and blind they are.

It’s frightening to find such anti-intellectual sentiment in America’s schools, particularly at the tertiary level.

• Yes, he did love sinners, including tax men, but he taught us to love God with all our hearts and strength and follow the Golden Rule. I’m not seeing even an awareness of those principles, much less a pretense of attempting to do that by the Muslim haters. Frankly, their fear, hatred and hypocrisy disgusts me to my core. So much so that I can barely hold back from uttering a foul jeremiad.

• girlp says:

This was simply a lesson in culture and art not indoctrination, I took world religion as history in high school and learned a little about all the most influential…no harm done no one complained and this was around the time of the Iran hostage crisis.

• gblock says:

All American high school students should learn a little about all the major world religions, even students who take only the standard history and geography courses.