Republicans continue lying deliberately about Planned Parenthood

Yesterday, Cecile Richards, the President of Planned Parenthood, spent over five hours testifying about the organization before the House Oversight Committee. In an extremely dishonest and amateurish effort to win the Gotcha Game, Republican Representative Jason Chaffetz from Utah confronted her with the following chart. Jennifer Bendery of the Huffington Post describes what happened.

As his time ran out, he put up a chart showing the rate of abortions increasing at the clinics while the number of “life-saving procedures” performed decreased, and demanded that she explain. Nobody seemed to know where the chart came from, and Richards said it was inaccurate. Her attorney finally leaned over and cleared it up.

“My lawyer’s informing me the source is Americans United for Life, which is an anti-abortion group,” said Richards. “So you might want to check your source.”

Zachary Ross of MSNBC explains what’s wrong with the chart, which appears to indicate that the PP performed far more abortions than cancer screening and prevention services in 2013, which is contrary to her testimony.

But look at the actual numbers in the graph. They show that in 2006, Planned Parenthood performed 2,007,371 anti-cancer services and 289,750 abortions. By 2013, the gap had closed slightly, but the group still performed many more anti-cancer services than abortions, 935,573 to 327,000.

Why does it seem otherwise? Because the “graph” has no y axis, which allows its creators to simply plot the results wherever they choose in order to create a compelling visual effect. That’s how 327,000 is made to look like a much larger number than 935,573.

This is yet another example of intentional deception by Chaffetz to go with Carly Fiorina’s lie about the so-called ‘Planned Parenthood video’ that she claimed proved the PP was performing abortions to harvest fetal brains for profit. According to Dr. Jen Gunter, the video is not from PP, given the procedures followed.  It’s likely more than 15 years old and it shows a premature stillborn birth, not an abortion.

The Republicans are willing to play games with women’s health and lie through their teeth to destroy Planned Parenthood. They are also planning to shut the government down on December 13th for as long as it takes to force the Democrats to defund PP.

They are insane and very dangerous. Fortunately, they also are stupid.

The chart is from PBS. Right-click on it above to view the complete image (or click the link).

(H/T to Malisha for providing the link to Dr. Jen Gunter’s website)

16 Responses to Republicans continue lying deliberately about Planned Parenthood

It’s amazing to me that the Republicans have been able to hijack the whole government. And why? Because after allowing them to pour us into war and maim a significant percentage of our young population, we put our foot down and elected someone who was not utterly mad? This protracted temper tantrum on behalf of the alleged “Tea Party” (which is really a snot party) should have been stopped as soon as it started; we no longer have the national will to pull ourselves out of sewers. Shame on us! Lying about Planned Parenthood is so obvious and so contemptible that no amount of outrage is sufficient to respond to it.

Shame shame shame shame shame.

So, I heard the ATF rep in Roseburg say 6 weapons were found at the crime scene and seven more at the perp’s residence and then she proceeded to speak about the 14 weapons. So I just thought, “She failed arithmetic in second grade” and didn’t pay any more attention. Then I read this:

14 firearms found

Investigators found 14 firearms connected to the shooter, authorities said.

Five pistols and one rifle were found at the college. Police searched his apartment and initially found two pistols, four rifles and a shotgun, Celinez Nunez of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said. Hanlin said investigators later discovered another handgun at the shooter’s home.

So…I wonder what that’s all about.

• girlp says:

You need a license to drive it proves you understand the laws and rules related to driving and owning a car as well proof you know how to operate the car. Break certain laws misdomener or felony you can lose your license for a period of time or in certain cases forever. Certain medical or mental health conditions you can’t get a license. Also, the county and state are aware of the number card you have and have had. But, when it comes to guns….nothing they want zero controls they really don’t want registration.

I’m sorry, I know this is OT, but about Thursday’s mass shooting in Roseburg, Oregon: the gunman this time was someone who had enlisted in the Army and been discharged quickly for not “meet[ing] minimum requirements.” Yet he was able to purchase and use guns. OK, this is a very clear and unavoidable point: In the US Army, you are armed and dangerous, and you are using the weapons under both supervision and direction. SOMEONE IS THE BOSS OF YOU.

If you do not obey commands about how, when and where to use your weapons, you are PROSECUTED under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (“Courts Martial”).

So, here we have somebody who was definitely determined, on paper, by law, to be unfit for the position of being armed in the service of his country, so obviously, he could not become part of a “well regulated militia” as mentioned in the Second Amendment.

Yet he was permitted to purchase not one, not two, not…but apparently thirteen (13, count them, 13) guns. And he was permitted to use those guns without supervision and without direction.

Does this sound like a rational thing? Does this sound like law and order?

How stupid can we be, as a country, before we just die of dumbness?

I listened to the tape of Chaffetz “interrogating” Richards on this “slide” and I must say, the most outrageous part was where he said to her in an indignant voice, “You’re DENYING this slide?!?!?!?” She responded, “You never showed this to me; I don’t know what it represents” and he went on to castigate her as if she were caught in a lie, saying that he took the “figures” right out of her annual statement. She repeated that she did not know what the slide represented or appeared to represent and he kept pressing as if he had victoriously caught her in a big whopping lie until … oops … she caught him in a big whopping lie.

This is the technique of a psychopath. Seize the “punisher” position and then accuse the “accused” of NOT ADMITTING the fault that the “punisher” has chosen to pretend is the reason for his administration of the punishment.

He should not only be ashamed. He should be removed from office in disgrace and put out to pasture.

5. ed nelson says:

ok, I ain’t goin’ to make any more comments FRed, siince you never answer me anymore. It kind of feels like you don’t like me or maybe, maybe you don’t don’t want to be associated with my views… Now that is scary… like I said, JEB is the Repub candidate….getused toit Gomer! ( time for a new key board, the space thing isn’t too good).

• Come on, Ed. I like you. I like your sense of humor and I would rather spend time hanging out with you than any of my lawyer friends who, as it turned out were too absorbed in their own professional lives and hanging out with success stories currying their favor. You are a real person, a working man and you are honest. I appreciate that. You’re right, though. I do disagree with you about several matters or issues. But I don’t expect you to agree with me about everything. I always read your comments because I am interested in what you have to say.

I’m pretty busy keeping up with the news, reviewing the evidence and cutting through the bullshit to get to the heart of the matter. Sometimes, I get tired of writing about legal issues and cases. For example, I got interested in economics while I was writing at Firedoglake, but I didn’t want to write about the economy until I was satisfied that I knew what I was talking about. The point is that maintaining this blog is more than a full time job.

When I started this blog, I tried to answer all comments, but that took too much time. Sometimes I don’t respond to any comments. Just because I do not respond to a comment doesn’t necessarily mean anything. I think you’re taking this a little too personally.

I agree that Jeb started out as the candidate backed by the big money, but Trump has thrown a monkey wrench into the script. By appealing to racism and suspicions about Obama’s legitimacy, he has surged into the lead while Jeb has faded to just 8% support. He’s stumbling and the big money may lose patience, if he doesn’t start getting it together.

As Yogi said, “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

Best wishes and thanks for letting me know that you’re upset. I wouldn’t have known, if you hadn’t let me know. Gave me a chance to respond.

6. girlp says:

It was funny to look at the face of Jason Chaffetz’s aid when Richard’s pointed out to him the chart came from an anti-abortion group. They guy’s jaw fell. I didn’t notice earlier last night but looked at Rachel Maddow during the second showing last night and I notice the aid go ooop’s forgot to edit the rectangle with the giant X.

7. “Republicans continue lying deliberately …” You could have stopped there; those words apply to every topic under discussion.

• Point well taken. Yesterday, I used the word ‘scumbags,’ which has been my favorite word to use when describing right-wing hate-machine Republicans for whom the ends always justify the means

But they have been lying and lying since St. Reagan decided to return us all to feudalism. What they do is pick a topic or a target (and this could be anything: debt ceiling, Planned Parenthood, BenGhazi, weapons of mass destruction (say: what would you call a tank or a bomber, a weapon of mini-destruction?), sex, Muslim teen-agers, you name it) and then fuss and fuss and fuss like colicky babies and then manufacture (out of thin air) conclusions from “facts” they never even proved and that, in truth, are not factual. What they are actually doing is just providing counter-irritation so they can take away the constitutional rights of the American citizens (90% of them at least) without people saying “OUCH!” In fact, keeping half the poor enraged and suspicious about the other half of the poor has ALWAYS worked.

• They also created the war on drugs and the war on crime and their minimum mandatory sentences to lock up more people for longer periods of time per capita than any other country in the world, plus gerrymandering and ridiculous voter registration requirements in order to reduce votes for Democrats.