Kim Davis is not a hero; She is a disgrace

Yesterday, I watched a crowd of homophobic religious zealots celebrate the release of Kim Davis from jail. She is the elected public official who runs the Rowan County Circuit Court in Kentucky. A federal judge held her in contempt of court last week because she refused to issue marriage licenses to couples who had satisfied state requirements to obtain them. He lifted the contempt order yesterday because Davis’s assistants had completed issuing the licenses that Davis had refused to issue.

Lost in the hullabaloo over religious liberty is the reality that the decision to issue a marriage license merely requires checking to see if the applicants have completed the application and provided necessary documentation. A decision to issue a marriage license means that state requirements to obtain one have been satisfied. It does not mean that the clerk who issued it approves of the marriage. Indeed, the clerk’s opinion is irrelevant.

Kim Davis defended her decision to deny marriage licenses to qualified couples because she objects to same-sex marriages on religious grounds. Either she does not understand that signing off on an application for a marriage license is merely a ministerial duty that requires little thought, or she knows that and she decided to create a public spectacle to draw attention to her opposition to same-sex marriage. I think she saw an opportunity to seize her 15 minutes of fame.

The public celebration of her release from jail, accompanied by the tune Eye of the Tiger, was absurd theater. Had I not witnessed it, I would not have believed that it happened. People need to see her for what she is: a flawed human being prejudiced against homosexuals who attempts to justify her prejudice by hiding behind her religious beliefs.

Apparently, she does not see the irony in using her Christian faith to support hate instead of love and acceptance. She is not a hero or martyr. She is a disgrace.

25 Responses to Kim Davis is not a hero; She is a disgrace

1. Trained Observer says:

Tomorrow’s Friday and I suspect Kim Davis won’t miss an opportunity to show up for work and thumb her runny snot nose at the law of the land.

If gay couples do not show up for marriage licenses tomorrow, then maybe things won’t come to a head until next week.

No matter what the day, I predict Davis’ ignorant butt soon will be back in the slammer. Next time, she may find getting out won’t be so prompt.

How are the Thanksgiving meals at Rowan County jail?

2. gblock says:

I heard that the group that has the copyright to the song “Eye of the Tiger” was talking about suing Huckabee for its unauthorized public use.

3. Jack says:

I’m not Kim Davis’ supervisor, but if I was I’d address the issue by giving her a fair choice: Either comply with the law of the land, or in fairness to your religious convictions, be prepared to make a lateral move within the agency.

• a2nite says:

@Jack

She’s elected so they are stuck with her until the lege comes back into the session next year. They can’t remove her or change the law for whatever accommodation covers her bigoted self-righteous a$$’

• Trained Observer says:

Kim Davis an elected official and can’t be removed at the drop of a hat without some legislative/gubernatorial machinations. But I suspect her son, only an employee, can be sacked from his deputy clerk job by the County manager with support from the Rowan County Commission. He’s the only bozo who has refused to issue licenses among the six deputies.

Strangely, I was almost fascinated by the peculiar stuff I read recently about how terrible gays are. I remember once back in about 1991, 1992, I was trying to figure out what straight men feared from gay men. It just didn’t make sense to me that a straight man would care that a gay man was not straight! After all, less competition for the women, right? They should be GLAD. So it puzzled me. I remember thinking: “What are they so worked up about?”

I formed my own opinion back then and don’t want to share it right now, but now, I got a different view that may help inform me in the continuing search for an answer:

That is what I see in the many gays that now are so prevalent:

So many of them are educationally deficient, culturally inept, and really, they don’t understand what they do. They would be stupid no matter how you cut it.

Which, isn’t all that bad, (what they do, ), but for the fact that, they are telling the world to… ”Go to hell”, they are sure that they are in some way.

I mean, if you were a Plumber by trade, if you were wierd, you might keep trying to put a male nipple intoi a male cupler, and afet a while, you might start tryin’ to put a female fitt’n into a female fitting, and after a while, hey!

After a while you would get fired FRed

Now I’m gonna ignore the part about gays being stupid (this was stated without citation and there is plenty of data leading to a contrary conclusion), “educationally deficient” (as described by someone whose descriptions alerted two squadrons of the grammar police) and “culturally inept” (they did OK at the Academy Awards). But the concept that they are telling the world to “go to Hell” interested me. What they have done is, essentially, to tell other people (who comprise, apparently, “the world”) to stop trying to shame them for their own private behavior that is their own private business. And they have SUCCESSFULLY done that, as compared with the many other groups (women, minorities, etc.) who are still fighting the big fight to get “the world” to stop trying to dominate, shame, and dictate to them.

Now, WHY the gay movement succeeded where other movements have still not succeeded is a big big BIG question and I have a few answers for that (most have to do with money, of course) but that’s not what this post is about.

This post is about a big CONGRATULATIONS to the gay rights movement for making “the world” get the Hell out of their private business. If they want to be married in a way that somebody else disdains, so the Hell what? If they want to be plumbers, all they have to do is get qualified and pass the certification exams, just like other plumbers in “the world.” 😆

• girlp says:

I agree Malisha and congratulations to my gay and lesbian friends who are free to share their lives as a married couple. Their private business is their business and no one elses.

• gblock says:

I’m happy about this success and agree about money making a difference, but we shouldn’t ignore that gays and lesbians still have a long ways to go when it comes to getting full legal equality, not to mention full social acceptance.

5. ed nelson says:

Oh Dog on it! I see I made a whole bunch a typoes, well at my age, it isn’t my typin’ skill so much as my vision that makes me do mistakes, I can’t see the screen very well.

Hey I am getting ready to play that card for all it’s worth… Buddy!

Oldster, Senior Citizen, Don’t park in front of my house!, I’m a Senior! I am getting hip to a whole new strategy!

6. ed nelson says:

That is what I see in the many gays that now are so prevalent:

After a while you would get fired FRed,

7. ed nelson says:

Jeesis Ed! lighten up on ’em, for Christ’s sakes, they don’t even have a modicum of knowledge…. or a hint of what is. These poor fools don’t realize, that all sex is taboo. All Sex is a weird thing, and should be avoided…. Sex is Bad, escpecially weirdforms of it!

8. ed nelson says:

so the jist of your responses is: ”it is good to have ‘gay marriage’, and that it is all wrong to oppose that, or to be even slightly against that thing… ” Right or wrong?

I just have to tell you dumb fucks… Marriage is not for queers

A reasonably social Civil Agreement would work for me, but to make a ”Marriage” of same sex people is completely stupid, and I am not against doing what they want to do… just let’s not be idiots, and let’s call a Spade A Spade!!!!

Be as Qureer as you can and get away with….! But I don’t think you will be on a level with … the American Normal view of things…
    You won’t be on a level with any traditional society anywhere.

Queer Marriage is a terrible sign to send to the mentally retarded masses.

Well, you have fun with the MRM’s…. you go have your fun,,, You would have been wonderful understudys of Edward Barnays!.

• Disappointed says:

First time being called a dumb fuck. I don’t care what anyone does as long as it does not hurt other ppl. It’s not my place to judge. Ppl don’t choose to be gay. They are born that way. Why would anyone choose it? Look how you treat ppl just for defending other ppl’s rights. Peace.

• gblock says:

So you decided to show us your homophobia. As I said in a comment to an earlier post, Civil Unions are often not as equal as some people claim them to be, so if you haven’t tried it yourself, don’t go around telling other people what would “work for you”.

Marriage has a powerful symbolic meaning, as a life-long or long-term union, that has both emotional and legal consequences of major importance.

• Trained Observer says:

Ed, you don’t seem to get it on assorted levels. If there’s a dumb fuck here, try looking within.

9. Disappointed says:

She disgust me. I gave up on religion long ago. It is not the same anymore. It’s used as tool/excuse to hate and judge. If that is “Godly” I will pass. I don’t need a man in the sky to tell me how to treat ppl. I treat ppl the way I want to be treated. I could careless your skin color sexual preference or where you came from.

• gblock says:

Religion has always been used to push political agendas. For instance, the Southern Baptist Church used religion to justify slavery before the Civil War, And let’s not forget Henry VIII’s split from the Catholic Church because of his wish to dissolve his marriage and re-marry.

But please don’t assume that all religions are the same when it comes to the same-sex marriage issue. For instance, look up the Unitarian Universalist Church, or the United Church of Christ.

I find it very distressing that a Clerk, who makes good money, has gotten away with issuing an order [to refuse marriage licenses] to those who worked for her [whose salary was paid by the taxpayers] that amounted to violation of the law. She has not been fired; she has not been disciplined; she has not paid the price for her dereliction of duty. She has not paid restitution, either.

11. Not to mention that the alleged guy in the sky will forgive her the sin of signing off on the certificates, if all that’s promoted by his kid in the New Testament is true!

12. I agree 100%, she is a total disgrace to the human race and calling herself a Christian?

13. ed nelson says:

Well, a lot of folks have mixed emotions about gay marriage, as do I. I mean, how about marriage itself, is it completely perfect?

But one thing that the gays had going for them, was not being married! Now they seem, (many of them) to not remember that marriage is a whole ‘nother trip that more often than not is a pit fall.

It is humorous to observe, it’s like they want the right to… pay taxes or something, dumb as hell!