Too bad so sad that the sky is falling for Christian hypocrites

Rod Dreher, a senior editor and blogger at The American Conservative penned a piece in TIME titled, Orthodox Christians Must Now Learn To Live as Exiles in Our Own Country. He’s upset by the SCOTUS decision in Obergefell. He said,

It is hard to overstate the significance of the Obergefell decision — and the seriousness of the challenges it presents to orthodox Christians and other social conservatives. Voting Republican and other failed culture war strategies are not going to save us now.

Discerning the meaning of the present moment requires sobriety, precisely because its radicalism requires of conservatives a realistic sense of how weak our position is in post-Christian America.

He recommends,

It is time for what I call the Benedict Option. In his 1982 book After Virtue, the eminent philosopher Alasdair MacIntyre likened the current age to the fall of ancient Rome. He pointed to Benedict of Nursia, a pious young Christian who left the chaos of Rome to go to the woods to pray, as an example for us. We who want to live by the traditional virtues, MacIntyre said, have to pioneer new ways of doing so in community. We await, he said “a new — and doubtless very different — St. Benedict.”

Throughout the early Middle Ages, Benedict’s communities formed monasteries, and kept the light of faith burning through the surrounding cultural darkness. Eventually, the Benedictine monks helped refound civilization.

I believe that orthodox Christians today are called to be those new and very different St. Benedicts. How do we take the Benedict Option, and build resilient communities within our condition of internal exile, and under increasingly hostile conditions? I don’t know. But we had better figure this out together, and soon, while there is time.

I thought this was a piece by the Onion when I read it, but it isn’t.

The people he calls Orthodox Christians, I call Christian hypocrites.

Jesus preached equality. He ministered to the poor, the mentally ill and the marginalized. He welcomed everyone, but warned that a rich man had about as much chance of getting into heaven as a camel getting through the eye of a needle. He would have had no patience for the Christian hypocrites.

I don’t either.

17 Responses to Too bad so sad that the sky is falling for Christian hypocrites

Hypocrisy on steroids.

2. Trained Observer says:

Off-topic: On the unsealing of Bill Cosby’s admission to acquiring quaaludes to have sex with women other than his wife, kudos to U.S. District Judge Eduardo Robreno in Philadelphia , who in unsealing docs from a 2005 court settlement (read: buyout) ruled: “The stark contrast between Bill Cosby, the public moralist, and Bill Cosby, the subject of serious allegations concerning improper (and perhaps criminal) conduct, is a matter to which the AP – and by extension the public – has a significant interest.”

I love it when the mighty and seemingly untouchable get hoisted high by their own words, and I suspect more incriminating documents will soon see the light of day,

Wow. After all the people he shamed, criticized, lorded it over. Mothers who were all unfit, kids who were all uncivilized, people who should be shot because they had pound cake in their hands.

OMG I am so tired of this story over and over.

• girlp says:

Another hypocrite exposed

I notice that the Germans would never say that they have to preserve the swastika because Naziism is their “cultural heritage.”

These KUNfederates don’t shame easy!

This last week, radio shows were talking about the right-wing desire to pull down the US Supreme Court, and I had to laugh. Sorry I just had to laugh. They DO NOT GET IT. Meanwhile the KKK apparently adopt the well known “I’m the victim here” stance of the practiced psychopath.
    “KKK Posing as Victim of “Cultural Genocide”

CULTURAL GENOCIDE?

Yeah, that’s it, guys. You didn’t notice but you were charged (with the crime of being an anti-American, anti-Democratic, anti-Freedom, anti-Morality Hate Group that committed murders galore) and you were prosecuted (in the law, in the press, in the society at large, and even by the world) and you were convicted (and you were stupid enough to testify in your own defense and to scream “I DID IT I DID IT AND I’M GONNA DO IT SOME MORE!”) and you were sentenced to death.

GET IT?

You’re being killed. You’re gonna be extinct. Oh Boo Hoo. Bye…

5. Girlp says:

Why are they so interested in legislating other peoples lives??? I believe many religious fanatics are running away from themselves they can’t face who they really are.

I know a few people who were not raised fanatical but who embraced fundamentalism as adults. To me, their “conversion” had to do with feelings of loneliness, deprivation, and mistrust. They found someone (god) who would give them everything they wanted.

• girlp says:

The money prophecy is worse, you give me money I will pray for you and God will give you what you want. God said I need a 65 million dollar airplane or a Rolls Royce, 30,000 sq houses. Religion has become a business.

• gblock says:

The fundamentalists probably didn’t think up this kind of thing themselves. Years ago I received, a number of times, mailings from Catholic churches or organizations in which I could specify that they say a prayer for the person/cause of my choice on specified days for a given fee.

• girlp says:

If they are hearing voices telling them they need things and talking to the air there are meds for that, if they are sane tax them; all of them.

6. gblock says:

They can’t stand it that, in our society with its secular government, they don’t get to make the rules for everyone else.

You also didn’t see too much carrying on about who had sex with whom in those days. Jesus did not spend any time or attention on preaching to the masses about not having sex. He was an unmarried man at the age of 33 when he died but did not once mention celibacy. He never carried on with his disciples about their own sexual relationships and we only hear him saying, about stoning a woman who had sinned, “he who is without sin, cast the first stone.” He wouldn’t have spent ten minutes in his whole lifetime carrying on about the issues that seem to drive these “Orthodox Christians” batshit crazy on a daily basis.

8. Kinda strange these self-named Christians overlook the Biblical admonition straight from Jesus’s mouth about love, compassion, and tolerance.

9. Disappointed says:

Atheist get married. So imo marriage is not about religion. It’s about love commitment and planning a life together. Also many ppl get married that can’t have children. No need for them to be married according to bible. If I need blood I don’t care who it comes from and I’m guessing a dying bigot Christian wouldn’t either. Or would they?

10. kllypyn says: