Jahar Tsarnaev finally cries in court today

Jahar Tsarnaev finally displayed emotion in court today when his Aunt Patimat Suleimanova took the stand to testify on his behalf in the penalty phase. She is his mother’s older sister. As soon as she took the stand, she began hyperventilating and sobbing hysterically. She was unable to speak and had to be excused. As she left the witness stand, Jahar began to cry. That is the first time during the trial that he has displayed any emotion.

Today was devoted to family witnesses who traveled from Russia to testify on his behalf. We learned a lot about his parents, particularly the change his mother, Zubeidat, went through after she transformed into a Muslim fundamentalist who cast aside her jewelry and wardrobe of colorful clothes and started wearing the hijab. Unfortunately, none of the witnesses have had any contact with Jahar since he was 8-years-old. They described a happy and beautiful boy whom everyone loved.

The defense also elicited evidence that the eldest brother in Chechnya culture occupies a position of authority in family life relative to the siblings and this would have been true in the Tsarnaev family. Jahar has been described by a female college friend as a follower and not a group decision maker.

Difficult to tell how this testimony affected the jury.

I was touched today by this statement from Becki Norris, one of Jahar’s teachers.

“I have discovered the painful truth that when you care deeply for someone, that does not stop even when he does unfathomably horrible things.”

Her statement perfectly captures today’s testimony.

33 Responses to Jahar Tsarnaev finally cries in court today

Has anybody heard from Professor?

• I have (heh). I’ve been busy writing lots of posts at Firedoglake and neglecting my site. My fault. Sorry, I’ll try to do better.

Just posted one today on the Michael Brelo verdict in Cleveland.

2. Trained Observer says:

Apperson, the guy who alleges shooting into Fogen’s SUV, is arrested and charged on multiple counts.

3. ay2z says:

Mixed day all around with the blend of Zimmerman posts and the memories of the great, late B.B. King as shared with us as we followed the tragedy of Trayvon’s killing and LLMPapa’s tireless, compassionate, fitting and so ‘right-on’ videos.

A tribute to the great king of soul, BB King with LLMPapa’s choice, The Thrill is Gone.

And today, Jahar Tsarnaev has been sentenced to death.

4. Trained Observer says:

What with the rail tragedy up north grabbing all the headlines, Fogen must be gnahing his teeth over how his latest troubles have failed to hold interest.

Oh well he will have to go to the dentist and little miss last-chick-to-call-911-on-defender-of-white-pride will get to see him wth his mouth open again!

Has anybody checked to see if Apperson is a member of the New Black Panthers? Maybe we should call in the FBI; this might be a hate crime.

HO HO HO I just translated a bit of the article about Fogen’s latest adventure.

We read:

The trouble Monday started because Apperson was driving closely behind Zimmerman as he went to a doctor’s appointment, according to Zimmerman’s lawyer Don West. Zimmerman recognized Apperson from their past run-in, West told The Huffington Post, and he made a U-turn in an attempt to avoid him. As Zimmerman changed direction, Apperson shot through the passenger side window of Zimmerman’s truck, West said.

Following the incident, Apperson’s family stood by his side.

“Matt is a good man,”

The translation could be (depending on which white-lie-language is used:

The trouble Monday started because Zimmerman had not had a violence/media fix for a long time and he was cruising around looking for Apperson, one of his white road-rage contacts, Zimmerman’s liar Don West. Zimmerman recognized Apperson from their past run-in, West told several miniskirted journalists who have been panting over Zimmerman for years, and he made a U-turn in an attempt to line the cars up for a photo-op. As Zimmerman changed direction, to bring him into line for a blood-curdling threat such as, ‘asshole, ungunna blow you way!’ Apperson (who had apparently armed himself after his last pas-de-deux with Bobby’s bro) shot through the passenger side window of Zimmerman’s truck, before Zimmerman could enact his own personally planned out sexually thrilling drama.

Following the incident, Apperson’s family stood by his side.

“Matt is white, not a thug at all; in fact he’s a gun-totin’ Merkin!” they said. “Zimmerman had no cause at all to be shootin’ him nor even threatenin’ his white ass with murder an’ mayhem or nuthin’ like that there. THIS time it’s on the Peruvian blob.”

Reportedly several of the journalists think Apperson is cute.

• gblock says:

I heard on the news last night that Apperson claimed that he saw Zimmerman point a gun at him. That has not been confirmed, although it HAS been confirmed that Zimmerman had a gun in the car with him at the time.

7. Trained Observer says:

Strange that well over 24 hours has elapsed in a situation with a local deadly menace known nationwide and yet detectives haven’t yet debriefed with Fogen or the other guy, much less charged them or jailed them without bond as nuisances.

Oh the FBI has decided he’s not a menace.

Didn’t you hear? He’s just a weak guy who knows how to shrimp when attacked and who therefore has to murder folks in the rain.

8. girlp says:

Young Turks

I understand what the Young Turk was saying about Epperson shooting at Fogen, in traffic, etc., and how criminal that is. On the other hand, if Fogen had threatened to kill me in the past and suddenly he’s in the car next to me, I have every right in the world to fear for my life! I think “a reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm” is axiomatic when Fogen (who admits he takes his gun EVERYWHERE and who is afraid of EVERYONE and who is constantly ENRAGED) is nearby and is already your enemy. Even if you’re white.

• girlp says:

The female anchor Ana Kasparian warns him that we don’t know what happened yet, however we know Fogen well. I believe there is a possibilty that Fogen was/is stalking him.

I certainly agree. Fogen “gets a hard-on” for someone who disrespects him (oh my how unjust!) and he goes after them. He also believes he can get away with anything. He probably assumed Apperson had no weapon on him.

Look what Brother Bobby said (trying so hard to wax Shakespearean:

“But for the assassin’s poor aim,
          our brother would lie slain,” Robert Zimmerman,
          George Zimmerman’s brother, said.

The “assassin” is now someone trying to bring down royalty.

All you need, to become white royalty, is to kill a Black kid, right?

• girlp says:

OMG not only has he gone straight but has been possessed by a sprit from the 16th century. Will all this ever be over ( I just want Fogen in jail…in solitary confinement where he belongs)

• Nef05 says:

Probably. Apperson called police a couple days after the road rage incident to say Zimmerman was in the parking lot of his job. Zimmerman claimed he was there for a Drs. appt. in the building, but no one seems to have confirmed with said Drs. office whether Zimmerman actually had an appt. (Hipaa, maybe?). Yeah, way too many coincidences in fogen’s life.

• girlp says:

That’s his MO, stalking and confronting people. Apperson chose not to use his gun the first time. Zimmerman should get the message but he won’t.

9. concernedczen says:

Natalie Jackson thinks it’s another one of GZ’s hoaxes to get some attention for himself. She thinks him and Apperson are in on it together. I think she may have a point.

UH OH Fogen is driving up the White-on-White Crime statistics!

Matthew Apperson, who shot at him, is both white and [it seems] assaholic. 👿

• gblock says:

This is the guy who had complained that Fogen had been going after him in the “road rage” incident. He may have had good reason to want Fogen off his back.

11. girlp says:

Poor guy will probably get in trouble… I’m betting porgie pie threatened the guy again. Probably thought the shooter didn’t give him the proper respect. Smh

12. Trained Observer says:

Yes, with some behind bars assault rage that might leave him needing dentures.

After a “road rage incident.” Hmmmm. This guy gets wife-rage, girlfriend-rage, suspicious-guy-walking-rage, and road-rage quite a bit. Wonder if he needs a little incarceration-rage to go along with it all?

Yeah, a bunch of my friends called me to tell me Fogen was “involved in a shooting” but most of them presumed the reports meant he shot somebody else again. This time he probably got into a road rage incident with another gunlover. Dumbass is still represented by Don West who appears to be in love with him. Jeez, I wish Fogen would marry one of Don West’s cutesy little racist daughters.

15. Nef05 says:

George Zimmerman involved in shooting during “ongoing dispute”. Receives minor wound. No info on whether Zimmerman returned fire. Since the report doesn’t say, I’m assuming he didn’t, cause they would to make it even more sensational.

Note: Interesting Mr. Stand Your Ground had no trouble drawing and shooting an unarmed kid from close range, but had no ability to draw and fire on another grown man (presumably) who really WAS a threat to his life? He really is a bitch-made coward, excuse my french…

Important reminder that no matter what anyone does, they are still a precious human being. Even that dang Fogen! : /

Really shows something. When a person is seeing pain as possibly their OWN pain, they can feel FOR someone. Here’s this young man, totally closed off to pain until someone gets up there whose only experience of him is as a not-yet-closed-off child, a child who can only be the human he is. When she cried and displayed her pain, he had to zoom back into his own memory and remember himself as a person. OMG. If only we could show each other ourselves.

One time my kid ran off with two friends and “vanished” in a playground where there was some sand construction that the three of them were enjoying, oblivious of the fact that both mothers were screaming their names and running all over the place trying to find their children. When we retrieved them, the other mother, beside herself with fear and rage, smacked her kids silly. I took mine home. We walked into our living room and I said to him, “Sit on the couch and imagine that I had disappeared in the park and you couldn’t find me and you were screaming ‘MOMMY MOMMY’ and I didn’t come.” I went to prepare supper. When I came back, my kid was dissolved in tears, weeping his heart out. I didn’t touch him but he got it.

I feel for that aunt, for the witnesses in court, for the injured and killed. Feel like sitting on the couch and weeping.