How many black Americans were lynched in the American South between 1877 and 1950?

The Equal Justice Initiative (EJI), which is based in Montgomery Alabama, reports that 326 black Americans were lynched in Alabama during that 73 year period. Jefferson county, in which Birmingham is located, led the way with 29 lynchings. Jefferson County is the most heavily populated county in Alabama and Birmingham has the largest population in the state. According to the 2010 census, the population of Birmingham was 658,466.

ELI reports that,

This was not “frontier justice” carried out by a few marginalized vigilantes or extremists. Instead, many African Americans who were never accused of any crime were tortured and murdered in front of picnicking spectators (including elected officials and prominent citizens) for bumping into a white person, or wearing their military uniforms after World War I, or not using the appropriate title when addressing a white person.

I will post the correct answer at 7 pm EST.

10 Responses to How many black Americans were lynched in the American South between 1877 and 1950?

1. a2nite says:

> 4000 & that’s just the South. Don’t know how many in the North or the West & how many disappeared.

2. so jaded says:

If a muslin had shot three white people the idea of parking as the reason would of been ridiculed. It would have been treated like a terrorist attack.

3. YQ says:

I remember a friend of mine who was a photographer loaned me a book titled “Without Sanctuary”. It was essentially a collage of photos of lynchings of Afro-Americans, most of them at the turn of the 20th century. By the time I was done viewing the photos, I was gutted, having seen some of the most cruel and inhumane things that could possibly have been done to a human being. There were not just men, but women and children being hung, burned alive, and other things of the sort. The more infamous photos had their assailants posing in front of the victims with much pride. Signs hang on the dead men and women stating the reason why they were lynched. Horrible to look at! I knew lynchings happened, but seeing them in a photo… man, it just blew me. And there were countless occurences! Most of victims remained unidentified, so unfortunately I believe that the actual number of lynchings will never ever be exact, or even close to it.

Anyways, thanks for sharing!

“Strange Fruit.”

Forgot the link.

• YQ says:

Right, it is.

• YQ says:

Funny story! My parents got me a 88 Lincoln Town Car from an elderly lady who was about to sell it for scrap. It had a problem overheating. So I came down from Atlanta to check it out. I broke down on the way back from Tampa to Atlanta. I smelled the overheat and pulled over somewhere in Adel, GA, at an abandoned gas station. When I opened up the hood, smoke came out everywhere! I was stranded for a while, waiting for the car to cool down. But the more I stayed there, the more paranoid I got because.. well, you know. So, this pickup truck comes out of nowhere with a confederate flag, gun mounted in the back window. I had absolutely no weapons. I hopped back in the car and drove that car with the radiator bone dry to another gas station that was open! I thought I was a goner! LOL!

OMG you said “funny story” in the beginning but by the time I read “confederate flag,” I couldn’t see anything funny, and sped to the end even though I realized you had to have survived to have written it. I AM GLAD YOU DROVE THAT THING OUT OF THERE!

4. The correct answer is more than 4,000.

5. I believe the triple homicide in Chapel Hill, NC was a hate crime. Difficult to believe it resulted from an argument about a parking place.

Chapel Hill Shooting Leaves 3 Muslim Students Dead; Neighbor Is Charged