Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Good morning:

This is a dark day for us because of the number of people who voted against their own best interests by voting for Republicans whose core constituency is the 1%, not the rest of us. No one can reasonably expect them to do anything that their billionaire overlords oppose.

Republicans lie because they have to lie to get elected.

That’s why they gush about the so called ‘job creators,’ who actually created massive unemployment by relocating their operations overseas eliminating millions of jobs here at home, and the ‘trickle down effect,’ which never happened because the 1% hoard their wealth and park their obscene profits derived from exploiting natural and human resources abroad in foreign banks to avoid paying taxes on those profits.

That’s also why they lie about voter fraud, despite the absence of any evidence to support their claim, in order to pass laws that, in effect, eliminate the right to vote by imposing all sorts of restrictions designed to disenfranchise millions of voters who would not vote Republican.

Our economy is stagnant because there is little demand for goods and services and there is little demand because people don’t have money to spend. They don’t have money to spend because of high unemployment caused by the loss of those jobs overseas and underemployment. Most people who are employed are not being paid a living wage, so they can’t afford to buy new stuff.

This deplorable situation is not going to change because it is exactly what the 1% want.

They also want militarized police to protect them and keep us in line.

Oh, and climate change, which is the biggest problem we face.

Here’s the new Republican chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. Meet James Inhofe:

Well actually the Genesis 8:22 that I use in there is that “as long as the earth remains there will be seed time and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, day and night,” my point is, God’s still up there. The arrogance of people to think that we, human beings, would be able to change what He is doing in the climate is to me outrageous.

There are far too many people in this country who are too stupid or willfully ignorant to pour piss out of a boot.

26 Responses to Republicans elected by willfully ignorant voters voting against their best interests

Grateful to be in Cali where we’ve re-elected our Dem gov for a 4th term, voted in lesser legal penalties for drug use and other progressive measures. My heart goes out to unwitting supporters and non-supporters of TP nonsense that will ensue in other states.

2. Sophia33 says:

Aside from the willfully ignorant we also have to contend with the willfully apathetic with short memories. After what happened with Trayvon Martin, every young person who could vote should have voted in Florida, but they didn’t. I do not believe that this is what the American people want. But they didn’t vote. I had a conversation with a young man a few days ago. I asked him if he voted. He told me that he only voted once in 2008 for Obama. But when the economy didn’t get fixed in 2 years, he never voted again. I tried to explain to him that politics is not immediate gratification. Something that this generation is used to. The “I want it right now attitude” causes many young people to become disenchanted with the political process. After all, most everything that they want is a key stroke away on a computer. Add that to the fact that too many don’t understand civics. I got the impression from my conversation with this young man that he felt that Obama could just unilaterally do what he needed on his own. When I spoke about Congress obstruction, he looked perplexed. When I tried to explain the role that the state legislatures and local offices have in decisions (I used Mike Brown and Missouri as an example) he looked perplexed. We need to do a better job of educating our young people on the political process. We have two different electorates between midterm and Presidential election years. I wonder how much of that has to do with people believing that the President can do everything. Until we get the liberal base to understand that midterms are just as important as Presidential elections we are going to continue to have a gridlocked and divided government.

I see young people everyday who are so disenfranchised that they don’t believe that there lives will be improved no matter who will be elected.

Also, President Obama and the Democrats overall need to stop catering to the conservative wing of the Democratic Party. The President refused to sign an executive order on immigration reform because of the requests of some Democratic Senators in historically red states. Not only did those Senators lose any way, but he cost the election for people like Udall in Colorado because the Hispanics stayed home for the broken promise. The same thing happened 4 years ago with healthcare reform. Mary Todd-Lincoln and others like her in red states asked him to not go for the public option. He listened to them. MTL lost anyway and we didn’t get the best healthcare law that we could have.

I hope that the President has his veto pen and executive order pen ready. At this point, he has nothing else to lose. So I hope he fights for his ideals.

3. Greg Beasley says:

Hillary Clinton just said businesses don’t create jobs. That is the average intelligence of a democrat for you. Most of our politicians are pedophiles and Satanists anyways so there are very few actual good candidates.

• Actually, Hillary Clinton is right. Businesses do not create jobs. Demand for goods and services sold by businesses creates jobs.

For example, a business owner isn’t going to hire new employees unless the demand for the products he sells increases.

The primary problem with our economy right now is an absence of sufficient demand for goods and services to make it worthwhile for business owners to increase their inventories and hire more people to sell them. We will see a spike in hiring because of the holidays, but we’ll see most of the new hires laid off after the holidays.

The absence of demand is due to millions of people who have no money to buy anything.

Our economy will continue to flounder until they do.

Although it seems counter-intuitive, a national minimum wage would jumpstart the economy because workers would have more money to spend. Their expenditures would force employers to hire more workers to meet the increased demand, etc.

Studies have shown that each additional dollar paid to an employee will be spent to buy something, which in turn will be spent by the seller of that something to buy something else. This cycle will on average repeat itself 7 times.

Therefore, even a modest increase in the minimum wage for millions of workers could lift us out of this economic depression within a few months.

No mystery here; just basic economics.

BTW, I’m not a Hillary supporter.

• BTW, what do you mean by Satanist?

4. Disappointed says:

Well I am glad I did not offend anyone. To be honest I really wanted to believe in the bible- but what kind of God is ok with incest? Murder for adultery and enslaving anyone?? I do not care what economical status, race, nationality anyone is from. We are all equal we all feel pain we all bleed red.
    IMO anyone who is in office to represent the people should leave their beliefs at the door as far as religion is concerned. Christians Catholics Muslims all believe something a little different. Therefore for them to shove their religion down our throats is not fair. It may differ from ours.
    My husband served our country. I’m an army brat. Lived in many places growing up. Lost my son on 9/11. The republicans shit on the middle class and the poor. Very few actually fought in a war. They are always first to want to put boots on ground. Fine put the boots on ground starting with your children and grand children. Most of us have lost enough on their stupid battles. Isis would not be an issue if bush had not have lied about weapons of mass destruction. Rant over.
    Thanks again for accepting me and my opions.

• Although I was not raised in a church or spent much time in any house of worship, I have studied many Holy books.

This principle, attributed to Rabbi Hillel, matters most to me:

“That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.”

5. Annie Cabani says:

Amen, Brother.
    Worst part is, several of them sit on the SCOTUS.

And don’t forget the Republican-owned computer voting machines that have proprietary software. Between the ids and the caging and voting machines and the district gerry-mandering, I’m not at all surprised with the outcome.

• girlp says:

In North Carolina, people in one county was told where to go to vote and the place was closed.

• Annie Cabani says:

North Carolina has become a very progressive state. It’s progressing to deeper levels of hell with each election cycle.

(I can say that, because I live in that hell hole. Only a few counties are worth a damn anymore.)

7. Disappointed says:

I’m sorry but the bible has changed over the years so as far as I’m concerned it’s just a book of fiction. I’m sorry if that offends people here. Raise miminium wage and the amount of people on welfare will drop. That saves the country $$.

Last night a republican was already talking about shutting down the govt. wtf? Eventually a shut down will happen when it’s time to pay soldiers, veterans and social security. Maybe that’s what needs to happen. Sad as it is maybe people who vote these idiots in will see what republicans really stand for. It is a sad day today. I am sad for our country. Fred I completely agree with your post you just say it much better than I do.

• Thanks, but you said it well and you are absolutely right about the minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage to a living wage would mean that working people would have lots more money to spend. That would substantially increase demand for goods and services. Businesses would have to increase inventory and hire people to produce and sell inventory. Gross receipts and profits would increase for businesses and tax revenues would increase for local, state and federal governments.

Contrary to the Republican lie, a minimum wage increases employment.

Austerity economics puts people out of work reducing tax revenue which increases government debt.

Austerity economics doesn’t work, never has worked and never will work.

• girlp says:

It doesn’t offend me at all.

The Bible was a book of its time. A great book? Absolutely. A book of OUR time? I hope not, but I fear so. Soon we will have what the Bible had then: A primitive patriarchy run by the land-owners who claimed divine powers and who ruled by Draconian measures designed to impose “God’s will” upon the slave class. The Bible also had slavery, father-daughter incest (not forbidden, although father-son incest was forbidden), capital punishment doled out for such offenses as adultery.

• girlp says:

Sounds repukblican to me…I tried most of my life to believe what’s written and it’s true there are very good things in the Bible and some beautiful poems, as well as some really good teaching stories, but there is something about the way my brain works most of it looks unrealistic also extremist scare me, balanced people do not scare me at all.

American Christian Taliban. : /

8. Scary, sad, disheartening ….