Robin Williams committed suicide

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Good afternoon:

Robin Williams hanged himself.

NBC is reporting:

Comedian and actor Robin Williams, 63, died from “asphyxia due to hanging,” according to preliminary findings announced at a press conference on Tuesday by Lt. Keith Boyd of the Marin County’s Sheriff’s Office.

Williams was discovered on Monday shortly before noon by his personal assistant who became concerned when the actor did not respond to several knocks on the door, Boyd said. Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider, last saw her husband alive around 10:30 p.m. when she went to bed.

Schneider left the home around 10:30 a.m. Monday, assuming Williams was still asleep, Boyd said. Williams had retired to a different room and was found fully clothed with a belt tied around his neck. The belt was wedged between the closet door and door frame, and Williams “was in a seated position slightly suspended off the ground,” Boyd said. “What that means is that his body looked like he was sitting in a chair.”

I’m stunned and I will miss him.

Seems to me that we are having a suicide epidemic.

Why are so many talented and successful people, who seem to have it all, committing suicide?

20 Responses to Robin Williams committed suicide

1. ed nelson says:

… Old oriental proverb: “Nail what stand up high, Get hammah!'”…

In a time when propaganda is news, and advertisement promise all good things, and when, the whistle blowers, get hammer, and long sentences, alcohol is control mech. and mental disease is ”hobble”. The masses and their cherished ones, leaders, comics, jesters and the like, stick to the acceptable format to get by, but at a cost.

He who lives carefree in chaotic environment must be different kind of psycho. It’s been said, something to the effect, that in a larcenous culture, the honest are outcasts.

And too, comics are notoriously dark in personal lives. (look it up… ).

Robin Williams was extremely intelligent. In there is a certain mystery. We cannot even begin to imagine what he was thinking and feeling; he didn’t tell anybody THAT part. THAT part would not have been remunerative, successful, perhaps it wouldn’t even have been well accepted. Celebrities have no fewer private miseries than the rest of us.

I have a friend right now in the Menninger Clinic. She tried to hang herself. I haven’t asked directly “why” and she hasn’t told me anything that would even vaguely fit into that category. I’m also not terribly impressed with the treatment out there although it is the best the country has to offer (by report). Maybe they know something we don’t know.

When I thought about Robin Williams being dead right now I thought, “Wow. What goes on? Sybrina Fulton lives on, in racist brutal corrupt Florida and Michael M. McDonnell lives on, on death row in Oregon and … [etc. etc.] and ultimately some bad environments are tolerable to some people and others that seem perfectly fine are the Seventh Circle of Hell to others and who knows?”

3. Marilyn says:

no one has mentioned his physical issues: he had open heart surgery 5 years ago. I can’t imagine that did not change him in some major ways. maybe he was not able to do those things he used to do before the surgery. Our physical issues, whatever they may be, have an impact on our psyche.

4. Frederick Leatherman says:

NBC News continues,

“We absolutely have to start focusing attention on the middle aged,” said Julie Phillips, a sociologist at Rutgers and among the first researchers to notice the rise in Boomer suicides. In a paper she presented last year, she argued that Boomers are “the tip of the iceberg.” They have the highest suicide rate right now, she found. But everyone born after 1945 had a higher suicide rate than expected—and everyone is on pace for a higher rate than the Boomers.

She calls it, “the new epidemiology of suicide.”

Houston, we have a problem.

5. Frederick Leatherman says:

NBC is reporting this morning,

The suicide rate among Americans 45 to 64 has jumped more than 30 percent in the last decade, according to the CDC, and it’s possible to slice the data more finely than that. Among white, upper-middle-aged men, the rate has jumped by more than 50 percent, according to the public data. If these men were to create a breakaway territory, it would have the highest suicide rate in the world.

6. Tee says:

I pray that family members start paying closer attention to their loved ones. There are always signs, ALWAYS!! We as a society sweep mental illness under the carpet and keep it hidden like its a dirty little secret, when it shows it’s “ugly” little head in our family as if it’s shameful to have a family member with mental issues. We should realize that to truly love someone you love the whole person warts & all, that means calling a spade a spade and not “loving them to death” , but loving them back to life. I have a mentally disable brother that I care for & it’s hard but I do it up front & personal everyday and we fight when he thinks he’s fine, and I let him know if he can’t do right by himself then I will force treatment on him by hospitalizing him. I pray for his soul & I pray for his family. One question how do you leave the house & not know if your husband is alive or dead, where is the I’m leaving honey, where is the goodbye kiss, where is the damn breakfast a simple have a nice day! Disconnected people. Sorry for the rant.

Yeah, it did seem strange that his wife had only seen him the night before and though he moved into another room, assumed he was still sleeping. Sad to be that distant when you know someone is having a problem. On the other hand, perhaps she gave him distance he asked for. Sometimes people do assure you they’re fine and then . . .

7. ay2z says:

On the American flag… or ‘as’ Flag

8. ay2z says:

On the human condition, loneliness-

9. ay2z says:

On creating someone–

10. ay2z says:

I will miss him too.

‘Thank You for All You’ve Given This World Robin, Thank You My Friend’

An article by Patch Adams written last evening

• ay2z says:

I can’t help but believe, even without thinking about it, that in so many of Robin William’s characters, lies himself, his uniqueness, his humanity, his humour, himself.

His character, whether a real person of Dr. Adams, or the rebelious private school teacher, who he is comes through. Some characters ‘become’ through Robin’, as if the writers leave him to it, so much of the time.

There was, of course, a suicide central to Dead Poet’s Society, as Neil was forced to conform in his life choices set for him by his demanding father. The choice was do die living, or choose for himself.

11. J4TMinATL says:

RIP.

This country needs to take mental health seriously instead of treating it as a luxury.

• He had just attended a Hazelton 12-step-based treatment program in Minnesota, an addiction treatment center.

But that may have been merely treating a symptom of an underlying mental illness, which appears to have been depression.

He should have been in a mental hospital.

• masonblue says:

Crane-Station here. This is a terribly sad and unfortunate situation that should not have happened. Robin Williams had, like many brilliant and talented others historically, both a blessing as well as a curse in that he was apparently very gravely mentally ill. There is no excuse for our US mental health system being so over-focused on the ‘war-on-drugs’ to completely miss an underlying primary grave illness like this, at Hazelden, the Number One, primary US drug and alcohol treatment center. That the many ‘professionals’ at this primary founding treatment center in Minnesota missed this horrendous underlying man’s bout with medical depression only recently, and had this man sitting in the likes of confrontation circle meetings rather than being in a hospital under the care and monitoring of psychiatrists and nurses is shameful and indefensible.

I wish this had not happened. That is my rant.

You’re probably right. The combination of bipolar and addiction is serious business and it’s difficult to do anything but end the pain.

Mr. Williams did a brilliant job of bringing joy to others despite his pain. I’m sure he’s a star in the heavens now. What a talent and what a loss!

My thought exactly that he was probably bipolar. Clearly he was an addict. Self-medication isn’t a good idea. It took me years to “fix” my depression.

12. Frederick Leatherman says:

I don’t know about society as a whole, but our veterans are committing suicide at a rate of 22 per day.