#TheodoreWafer: Verdict Watch

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Good morning:

The jury has asked to see the police video of the Theodore Wafer interview and is now taking a lunch break.

FYI: Judge Masipa recessed court until tomorrow morning at 9:30 am in the Pistorius case after hearing Gerrie Nel’s closing argument on behalf of the prosecution in the Oscar Pistorius trial. She also listened the first 30 minutes of Barry Roux’s closing argument before recessing for the day.

Nel’s deconstruction of Pistorius’s testimony is thorough and devastating.

To watch today’s arguments go here.

If you appreciate what we do, please make a donation.

Fred

48 Responses to #TheodoreWafer: Verdict Watch

1. Dave says:

Several key things tie in:

The above quote.

“Piss and vinegar”

The Ramboesque shotgun with the extended magazine and pistol grip.

Opening the door while holding the shotgun in his left hand and suddenly swinging it to point upward at about a 45 degree angle. (Try that sometime. It takes serious, conscious effort.)

The failure to say three things:

“Who’s there?”
    “What do you want?”
    “Go away!”

The lack of any rational explanation for opening the door.

I tried to keep an open mind until he testified but he convicted himself right there and then.

2. Dave says:

If anyone is in a hurry to learn what Wafer’s sentence is likely to be, here’s a link to the Michigan Sentencing Guidelines Manual:

Michigan uses a point system, based on the severity of the crime and the prior criminal record of the defendant

I think his “I wasn’t gonna be a victim in my own house” sunk him. He wasn’t gonna let whoever was out there get away with scaring him or disturbing him or in any way discomforting him.

He was giving NO QUARTER. He felt “done to” and someone was gonna PAY.

3. Dave says:

I have to admit I’m a bit surprised at the verdict. I didn’t think that the evidence presented for M2 was that strong but then I didn’t see the exhibits or hear the actual testimony live as the jury did and I don’t doubt that they made the right decision. Obviously they deliberated very carefully. Good for them!

4. Patricia says:

Renisha and family finally get justice! A reporter asked reinsha’s mom how she felt about ted wafer she said ” I’m not pissed and vinegar” towards him. Good for her!!!!

5. Nef05 says:

Finally, justice. I hope the family feels some sort of comfort and closure with this verdict, though I realize nothing will bring Renisha back. Kudos to Kym Worthy’s office for a job well done. Det. Free Press article below with video of the family’s statement after the verdict.

6. Very good. May the McBride family gain some sense of justice. May Mr. Wafer meet many new friends that change his attitude and maybe in a non-violent way..it can happen one hopes.

Now my Big Show. Advocate Nel wore another hat today. The hat of deference to the court. He seemed to be creating the space for Judge Masipa and her 2 Assistants to fill in the blanks in only one way, but not without respect to their deliberations. He’s such a cocky basterd, I dig.

7. fauxmccoy says:

fanfuckingtastic! best ‘news’ i have heard in a long time!

8. LessonLearned says:

Pleased with the verdict in this case, the prosecution played it well, they forced Wafer to the stand let him put on his , she had her whole life before her and now she’s gone and I think of her everyday performance, and then they played the statement he gave, he wasn’t sorry and he wasn’t afraid.
    Renisha was an IT as far as Wafer was concerned.
    He took her life away out of anger.
    I hope he gets a life sentence., for the sake of justice.

9. I’m thrilled to see the system work.

10. a2nite says:

Don’t get murdered in FL if you’re a black man.

F*CK the police & the law.

11. J4TMinATL says:

Good day my friends

12. Kelly Payne says:

Shows what happens when you have a prosecution who actually wants to convict and uses all the evidence at their disposal. And have jurors who actually pay attention to the evidence and listens to the defendant’s inconsistencies and actually cares about the truth.

“And have jurors who actually pay attention to the evidence and listens to the defendant’s inconsistencies and actually cares about the truth.”

Makes a huge difference. If Fogen had a 12-person jury I think we would have seen a difference there too.

For the prosecutors: Papa’s got a brand new bag!
    For us: I FEEL GOOD!

• crustyolemothman says:

Wow, Professor, that is an understatement…. as I go bouncing around my cave hitting my hard head on the rock above my head….

The jury probably wanted to check out his original story of it being an accident as he said in his first interview. Handling the gun and checking how hard it was to discharge would show whether the accident story had merit. Guess it didn’t.

One of the things they teach in law school is “accidental shooting in the face usually requires the elements of (a) being out hunting with a shotgun and (b) being the vice president of the USA.

• crustyolemothman says:

bettykath, do you suppose that they might have been looking for any small sign of remorse that he might have shown that morning when he was interviewed? I really think the key thing they saw would have been his stating he was “Mad” and full of piss and vinegar! That was my contention from the get go, that he murdered Renisha out of anger and it did not really matter to him who was at the door, they were going to die… Hopefully this verdict will stand upon appeal, but IMO there is enough factual evidence to with stand the appeal….

• I think that’s exactly what they saw in that video. Renisha McBride’s life meant nothing to him.

He couldn’t even be bothered to ask if she needed any help.

He just blew her away.

I’m relieved, but a little shocked too. I figured he’d get at least manslaughter, but to get all three convictions, wow. I’m happy for Renisha’s parents.

15. MKX says:

I am taking my kids on vacation, so I have not been that active.

All I can say is – great job!

I

16. crustyolemothman says:

Professor, you were right and I was wrong, the jury did reach a verdict today… And it was finally a correct verdict! As quiet as it is on here right now, perhaps everyone fell over dead out of shock? We’re not used to seeing justice actually happen correctly, right?

• MKX says:

I was wrong about a hung jury. Maybe they has someone who was objective and convincing, as you have been here.

• crustyolemothman says:

Blush…. Thank you, while at times during this trial I was discouraged, I forced myself to be positive… This trial hopefully will begin a new era in justice in this nation and perhaps in Florida as well… We all need to think positive in the Dunn case, and we need a conviction there as well to continue the momentum that we have started here… Have fun on your vacation…

I would have collapsed in shock but for the fact that this jury was really a good mix and seemed like ordinary normal people, and there wasn’t any allegation that the victim was one of those dangerous young Black Males whom so many in the “home of the free and the land of the brave” fear so much.

Also we could see that the prosecution meant business here. In the other trials, not so much.

17. girlp says:

Guilty of second degree murder

18. crustyolemothman says:

Now we need to send a tape of this trial to the pros in the Dunn case in Florida as an instructional tape of how to conduct a trial…

19. crustyolemothman says:

Jury back found guilty of all charges…..

20. The jury has been deliberating for 6.5 hours.

21. crustyolemothman says:

Jury now back to work… after lunch….

22. crustyolemothman says:

Professor, after the juror asked this morning about the hours that they would be expected to deliberate tomorrow, do you still expect a verdict today? IMO, we won’t have a verdict until Mon afternoon or Tue morning…

Hmm. I wonder if the jury is interested in seeing whether Wafer looked remorseful and upset during his police interview.

• crustyolemothman says:

They should listen to his 911 call very carefully, if they do, they will probably realize the man was drunk when the call was made… the slurred words, the failing to understand what the 911 operator was asking, and such was not a sign of stress or fear… This is the one main part that I fault the local PD for, they did not check his BAL or test him for drugs (legal drugs included)…