Hearing tomorrow at 9:30 am EDT in #GeorgeZimmerman civil case vs NBC

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Good evening:

The hearing on NBC’s motion to dismiss Zimmerman’s civil suit is tomorrow morning at 9:30 am EDT.

The hearing likely will be televised. According to Michelle Kennedy, the Public Information Officer for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit, the media will be limited to one television camera in the courtroom.

Hopefully, it will be live-streamed and I will be able to link to it.

Then we can follow it and comment as we did during the criminal trial and recently with the Pistorius trial.

To review my article regarding the hearing: Game Within the Game: Zimmerman lawsuit against NBC was a bright shiny object

In addition to claiming that Zimmerman’s case should be dismissed because he did not suffer any damages, NBC says he also failed to comply with Florida’s statute regarding retraction requests after the NBC broadcasts.

You are up to date.

This is our 1092nd post. Please make a donation, if you appreciate what we do.

Thanks,

Fred

13 Responses to Hearing tomorrow at 9:30 am EDT in #GeorgeZimmerman civil case vs NBC

I think the Philadelphia law firm probably took the case because of two factors: ONE: THEY are themselves a bunch of racist punks (newsflash: some lawyers are bad people); TWO: Free advertising whether they win or lose and in that respect, many more plaintiffs will contact them with lawsuits, some of which will lead to million-dollar-damage awards. So they’re actually priming a big pump with a little bullshit.

2. MKX says:

If a civil suit is allowed, would NBC be able to bring up Zimmerman’s past acts before his infamous 9-11 call?

Would they be able to bring up statements and testimony by those who knew him?

I seem to recall that there was substantial evidence, not presented in the criminal trial, the Zimmerman was a habitual crank 9-11 caller who habitually targeted black people who were not guilty of anything.

And that these calls often include Zimmerman stating that the so-called suspect was black.

If I also recall, the decent, hard working black people who had every right to live in that gated community because, unlike George, they paid their rents or mortgage, complained to the HOA about his behavior towards them.

To me, this last point sinks Moby Dick Heads case with a big harpoon.

And we also have the HOA having paid a settlement to Trayvon’s family, thus providing evidence that his behavior was not what decent, rational people should condone.

3. volgaknight says:

Mr. Leatherman, your link, “Game Within the Game: Zimmerman lawsuit against NBC was a bright shiny object,”

didn’t work (for me,) but, got this message instead:

“Not Found…..Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn’t here.”

However, simply typing in, ” Game Within the Game,” brought up the post right away.

Now, if I may, a couple of questions:

1. Do we know how Zimmerman is financing this suit? Since no lawyer I know would take a case like this on a contingency basis, this case, especially against a powerhouse like NBC, could easily run into many hundreds of thousands of dollars.

2. Even if he could get in a positive ruling that the defendant (NBC) would be liable for legal expenses, he still would have to win the case first. And, to do that he would have to shell out all that money first.

3. Should a miracle occur, and, Zimmerman wins the case, NBC would, surely, appeal the verdict. This would mean that “Z” doesn’t get any money while the appeal takes place, and, that could take months.

4. Moreover, and. please tell me if I’m wrong. Assuming “Z” wins the case, the amount awarded would have to be very, very large for “Lard Loins” (sorry, couldn’t help myself) to walk away with any cash at all. The preparation, trial, appeal, and, award amount appeal could take years, and, years to complete, and, cost over a million dollars, easily.

5. And, finally: While understanding that this will be a civil trial, (assuming it goes forward) wouldn’t “Bulbous Butt” (there it goes again) leave himself open to the public being presented with the murder as it actually took place? What I mean is, NBC has, probably, some of the finest, skillful lawyers in the world. They could, very skillfully, in their civil defense, weave the story as it actually occurred, and, not in the way those incompetent prosecutors blew the original criminal trial?

I guess my point is that, at the present time, many people just “suspect” that “The Fat Fabricator” (Oh, my!) “got away with murder.” This prospective trial, even though it would be a civil trial, could display all the evidence correctly, and, weave the story properly, which would leave no doubt that this Murderous Slug not only “got away with murder,” but, doubled down on his murder by trying to capitalize from it financially.

He could end up being the social Pariah that his “Blood Brother,” O.J. Simpson finds himself to be. My guess is that he will rue the day he decided to go forward with this civil lawsuit. All he sees in his functionally deprived brain is piles of money. I won’t be surprised if he ends up not only being “broker” than he already is, but, even the so-called friends he thinks he has now will vanish from view after the NBC lawyers get through with him. At least, that is my hope.

• crazy1946 says:

Don’t forget the lien that MOM & Co. would place upon any settlement awarded. I would also expect that the parents of Trayvon would also file a civil action for the loss of their child and request a hold on any proceeds as well. I don’t think that there is much chance that Zimmerman would ever see any money from this civil action, but then again I have been wrong before and the case “is” being heard in the state of Florida, the home of in-equal non justice…

• The answers to your excellent questions probably should be the subject matter of several posts, but I’ll at least get started here.

The lawsuit was filed by a lawyer in a Philadelphia law firm that handles a lot of plaintiff’s personal injury litigation. Firms like that can afford to advance costs and obtain reimbursement out of the proceeds of a favorable settlement or judgment. Tf they lose, the client will be responsible for reimbursing the firm, although they rarely have the financial ability to do it. Zimmerman obviously never will.

See my answer to #1.

Appeals can take years and, yes, NBC probably would appeal.

Also, never assume a civil case will not be settled at some point, especially, when it makes financial sense for both sides to do so.

He supposedly owes O’Mara and West $1 M in fees, but that sum would be part of his special damages (i.e., out of pocket expenses), assuming he can prove liability.

Also, Trayvon’s parents might file a wrongful death lawsuit against Zimmerman. If they win, they would seek to collect the judgment out of the proceeds of the NBC case, so he probably won’t get any money unless he wins both lawsuits

Meanwhile, there isn’t much point for them to sue him now because he has no assets.

Yes, I believe they would, but I doubt this case will go to trial.

4. kllypyn says:

HE HAS NO CASE. HE IS NOT GOING TO WIN THE NBC LOTTERY

5. kenteoth says:

If for any reason this idiot is awarded any money it should be put in writing by NBC that ALL PROCEEDS go to Trayvon Martin’s Family…..just my opinion

6. Please universe, not one penny to Fogen.