Eric Cantor bites the dust UPDATED BELOW

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Good morning:

By now you all must have heard that Republican Congressman Eric Cantor, the House Majority Leader, was defeated in the Republican primary in Virginia by an economics professor named Dave Brat.

I have been reading the news attempting to figure out who this guy is and what he supports. No luck.

I did find this quote in the New York Times,

Mr. Brat, a college professor, cast Mr. Cantor as part of the problem in politics today. “Right now, we have too many princes in DC,” he said in an interview on MSNBC.

He also showed why his new found acclaim will lead to questions on issues. When asked on MSNBC whether he opposed a minimum wage, he responded, Uhm, I don’t have a well-crafted response on that one.”

Let’s see, an economics professor who lacks a well-crafted response about a minimum wage.

Just when I thought Republicans could not possibly select more stupid candidates, they do this.

UPDATE:

I may have spoken too soon.

Dave Brat teaches economics specializing in macro-growth economics, international trade and finance, history and ethics.

His democratic opponent will be Jack Trammel who teaches sociology specializing in disability studies.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Brat is a tea party type. The tea party did not support him financially.

We’ll have to wait and see.

If you appreciate what we do, please help us keep the lights on by making a donation.

36 Responses to Eric Cantor bites the dust UPDATED BELOW

1. crazy1946 says:

Darn, sometimes it is so difficult to post information with all the filters that are in place… Maybe the Internet Gods are censuring my words once again… anybody have some extra tin foil? 🙂

• There are no filters except for the word press spam filter and the banned IP addresses used by belligerent sock puppets to derail discussion.

I rarely censor any comments and when I do, I say so.

I do not believe I have ever censored anything you said.

If someone posts more than one link in a comment, the comment will be diverted into the pending folder. I almost always approve those comments. I can’t recall not approving one.

You shouldn’t be experiencing a problem.

I will try to fix whatever it is. Can you describe it for me, or were you snarking?

• Incidentally, we get 1500 – 2000 spam comments per day.

• crazy1946 says:

Professor, No I was not snarking! I just had a problem getting W/P to allow me to actually post the last link and comment I made giving the published writings of Mr. Brat. I suspect the problem was with W/P blocking the link rather than anything you were doing. As far a censorship is concerned, I do my best to not write anything that would need to be censored, especially on your site, if for no other reason, out of respect for the host’s of the site… I can at times be a little blunt however, and that has brought me attention from a source that holds quite a bit of power and there fore I must watch the subjects about which I post…

2. crazy1946 says:

52 year old David Alan Brat was born on January 15,1962 (1964? by some reports). He attended Hope College, where he received a B.A. in Business Administration in 1986. He also graduated with a Master’s degree in Divinity from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1990, and received a PHD in economics from the American University in 1995. His published works include “God and Advanced Mammon” –Can Theological Types Handle Usury and Capitalism?” also (?) an “Analysis of the Moral Foundations in Ayn Rand”

Professor: I found this information on a site that seems to be blocked from being linked to your site… I have tried to post this information several times, but it does not want to post for some reason, maybe this way it will, if it does I will again attempt to provide the source link for the post…

3. crazy1946 says:

Test?

Virginia is so backward and so sunk in its own quagmire, I would bet it’s hard to really figure out what happened, but what you suggest is possible. It would still be a big HA HA if what you say IS what happened.

• crazy1946 says:

Malisha, it’s amusing that now victory by “the Brat” has occurred, the national tea party wants to claim him, but did not support him during the campaign… My observation is that he is not a tea party candidate, but instead is a libertarian of the Ron Paul style of political belief. This man political goals seem to say he is not for anything, he is simply against every thing involving government on the national level… One more small point that has not been mentioned is during his campaign he said he would not serve more than 12 years if elected, of course what he did not say is that would lock in his federal retirement due to length of time in office and his age at that point… and they say only liberals want to be on the federal hand out programs…

4. crazy1946 says:

A simple message to those of you that think Mr. Brat won the GOP/TP primary, I propose to you that he did not, Eric Cantor lost the primary. I say this because what seems to have happened was similar to what the GOP did back in 2008, that year the GOP was so scared of Hillary Clinton being elected they encouraged their voters in the states that held open primaries to cross over and vote for the “black man” who would be impossible to elect. Well as history has shown, that effort backfired on them… check it out Virginia in an open primary state, and the people who voted crossed over and voted against the man who had been a thorn in the side of the liberal causes for quite some time. Will this act backfire on them? Time will tell, if there was a candidate running on either ticket, things might improve, but as it presently stands, the voters of that Virginia district will have their choice of dumb or dumber come November…

5. MKX says:

And this song is for all the “individualist” Ayn Rand kooks who think they did it all by their selves, thus forgetting the meaning of “one for all, all for one”:

6. MKX says:

When is someone going to call out these “Libertarians” for what they really are – Property-Libertarians.

They are a cult that elevates private property to a status that has more rights and freedom than people, thus making a de facto entitled nobility out of those who have acquired lots of the various forms of property.

And living in their Ayn Rand paradise would be life of very limited freedom for the mass of humanity that will never own much property.

Oh, and their sick religion endorses this view of the world because they feel God rewards the rich for being good.

IMO, Jesus would be more fond of this song:

Of course, once that’s in place, all they have to do is CALL somebody gay and they can do anything that is presently legal in Iran.

John the Baptist and Jesus would have been called gay and they would have died long before either of them was beheaded or crucified by the enemy. After all, how could those two have proven to their co-Israelites that they just APPEARED gay?

7. MKX says:

The “professor” of economics is as phony as a three dollar bill. He has an undergraduate BA, thus avoiding the more rigid requirements of a BS such as:

Calculus
    Algebra
    Statistics
    Microeconomics
    Macroeconomics
    Economic theory
    Financial institutions
    Accounting
    Financial markets

What I am getting at is any decent mind with a BS in Economics would be able to wax poetic about the impact of a minimum wage in a macroeconomic sense because that is usually a topic used in lectures to explain principles.

For example, the marginal propensity to consume amongst the group being paid a minimum wage is most probably near unity. So there would be a stimulus in aggregate demand.

The counter point is that there would be an increase in prices due to a shift in wage labor curve. And it is argued that this would mandate a reduction in employment.

Or would it?

The stimulus in aggregate demand would create more markets for business. So, arguably, the guy let go from Burger World would find a job at another business serving those not let go being able to spend more money.

And I took Macroeconomics 35 years ago.

IOW, he is a false profit.

• Should be interesting to see if either of the candidates has published anything in a professional peer reviewed journal.

• MKX says:

Economics is supposed to be a study of how a state can best utilize its resources in a manner that equitably provides goods and services to all.

Brat is one of these pukes who have mixed Randian Capitalism and Christianity into come sort of perfect cult wherein the most holy free market decides who is good and who is bad. The good getting the goods and the bad being poor.

IOW, he is a sham scientist in that there can never be a “blasphemous” critical analysis of their faith.

And it points to a problem that permeates American thought.

Due to Cold War propaganda, any criticism of Capitalism was deemed unpatriotic. And any proof that it is a system that produces poverty or racism is blamed on the victims, not the system.

And the biggest irony is that a free market is what produces the so called “moral decay” that irks fundamentalist Christians. If it makes money, then it will be sold in the USA. Sex sells, so we see lots of it.

So a false prophet, Brat surely is. For he is neither an Economist or a true Christian.

Here’s a story from Repugnican politics that shames the Democrats more for being stupider than Repugnicans if not just as corrupt:

Anybody have a good limerick for:

“There once was a Senator Puckett,
    who …….
    he ….
    and ….
    and ………. ❗

Here’s one to start off the contest:

Virginia’s State Senator Puckett
      was probably down on his luck, it
      appeared that he sought
      more than votes to be bought
      so Repugnicans taught him to … forget it.

Apparently Puckett was given 2 promises

* daughter gets a permanent judgeship in western part of the state
      * he gets a job on a tobacco board.

I guess when you look at it in a very selfish way, how could he not resign? otoh, if he actually served the people of the state, he would have said, sorry, honey, but you’ll just have to wait for a judgeship and we’ll just have to muddle along on my legislature plus salary.

It’s funny, really. Just when I think there’s nothing at all to be gained by listening to these horses’ asses, something really amusing comes along. Frankly, I loved that picture that showed the look on Cantor’s face. Translation: “HUH?”

10. JJ says:

When a tea party person wins the primary – their Democrat opponent stands a much better chance of winning. If you were running, would you rather run against Eric Cantor or ?what’s his name?… a brat.

• Democrats have been successful running against tea party troglodytes who beat Republican incumbents, so maybe that will happen to Brat. I don’t know who the Democratic candidate will be.

Cantor may decide to do what Lisa Murkowski did in AK, run as a write-in or as an independent. There’s the easy way to win an election if you have the name recognition and/or the money. From what I’ve heard of Brat, he’s worse than Cantor. He makes Cantor look reasonable, not a word I’ve used about him in the past.

Key issue seems to have been immigration. Cantor has been looking to expand the party by talking immigration reform. Brat is completely against reform.

• The election for Cantor’s former seat will be between two professors at Randolph Macon College in Ashland, VA

We’ll have to wait and see.

• volgaknight says:

Mr. Leatherman, Sir:

David Brat is definitely a “Tea Party Type.” The Tea Party did not support him financially simply because he was a complete outlier. He was unknown, raised less than $200,000 for his campaign vs. Cantor’s several million, and was considered an unserious sacrificial lamb.

Honestly, could anyone have believed that Cantor, the House Majority Leader, a bona fide, “bomb throwing,” right wing extremist could be trashed due to his, apparently, treasonous idea that one of his duties of office was to, while rarely, actually, govern? Even feigning the concept of deliberation with the White House regarding the immigration issue was enough to brand him as a condemned man. It was certainly not because of differing philosophies. On the contrary. As rabid a Right Wing Wacko as Cantor was he was deemed too moderate to the constituency that make up Republican (Tea Party) Primary voters.

That’s pretty dang strange, an economics prof with no answer about minimum wage.

Is what I’m reading on FB true? – that many moderate Republicans are re-registering as Independent or registered non-partisan voters?

And sheesh – sorry if this is a repeat, just found it – NBC requested hearing to drop Zimmerman case – http://www.wesh.com/trayvon-martin-extended-coverage/nbc-to-argue-for-dismissal-of-george-zimmerman-lawsuit/26410116?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=wesh#comments

Can’t believe there’s no comments at Wesh on this story!

• Yes, I have been aware of the motion and expect the court will grant it and dismiss Zimmerman’s lawsuit.

I figured NBC has a good chance of getting Fogen’s suit dropped because they seem to have followed all the points of FL law about the matter. NBC even went the extra mile and fired some folks over the editing.

I believe the hearing is June 19, no?

• Yes, the hearing is June 19th.

Zimmerman should lose because he suffered no damages caused by the NBC edits and he said, “fucking coons,” during the 911 call.

Caveat: I do not trust the legal system in Florida.

You looked too soon. Comments are predicting that fogen will win the lawsuit. yech. have to wash out my mouth for making this post.