Automatic disqualifiers to hold public office

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Good morning:

I do not have any patience for anyone who persists in remaining willfully blind and unwilling to reconsider and change their opinion in light of evidence that shows they are mistaken.

I have no patience for anyone who denies global warming and climate change, for example, despite the overwhelming evidence that it is under way and irreversible. Because such a person is willfully blind and ignorant to a clear and present danger that will destroy human lives and possibly all life if we do not change what we are doing, I firmly believe they are unfit to hold public office, regardless of any other views they may have.

Another automatic disqualifier for any candidate for public office, as far as I am concerned, is someone who believes that waterboarding or any other form of torture is acceptable. Torture is not acceptable under any circumstances and, yes, waterboarding is torture.

I do not have any patience for anyone who plays word games by using, for example, the phrase “enhanced interrogation technique” to sanitize torture.

Torture is torture. End of story.

Quite a few Republicans, possibly all of them, and some Democrats deny global warming and climate change.

Quite a few Republicans, possibly all of them, and some Democrats support the use of waterboarding.

Far too many candidates for public office are unfit to serve.

Do you agree or disagree?

Can you think of any other automatic disqualifiers?

I wrote this article not to insult anyone but to stimulate thought and encourage discussion.

This is our 1030th post. If you appreciate what we do, please make a donation today.

Fred

16 Responses to Automatic disqualifiers to hold public office

1. frsandoval says:

Our human nature and developed instincts are much too complex to define with a list of disqualifiers. There is immense data available concerning any subject we wish to address. Be it political, environmental, or inhumane activity. The question is how valid is the data before we make it an exhibit and introduce it as evidence. Certainly there is sufficient data to support global warming or global cooling. The data on the ground has supported a cooling trend of our illustrious planet for decades. The data in the atmosphere supports the view that we are cutting a bigger hole in our atmosphere with each season.

In my opinion, if each of us would concentrate on the conflicts applicable to our immediate environment and the problems of our immediate surroundings, and work for the better good of our little corner of the world, the rest of the equation would work itself out. I am not advocating that we stick our heads in the sand or turn a bllind eye to the rest of the universe (which may be an impossible task regardless of the size of our sandbox considering present technology). I am merely expressing an observation based on several years on this planet. When we have addressed our local poverty, our local homeless situations, our local conflicts, our local neighborhoods, and our local families, things seem to improve. Can we slice this monstrous universe of a pie into squares of city blocks? Or at least a workable demension. Address our problems within an established workable demension. Work from the inside out and use our resources to improve that (established demension or city block) environment. We can than go and attempt to find out what happens to us if we fall into a black hole at the edge of our neighboring galaxies. I am not trying to cut into Hawking’s grants. I am merely expressing an observation. It’s been referred to as priorities in the past. I could be in denial! I could be delusional! Nevertheless, my symptoms tell me that if we were to throw the local political clean up into the mix locally, I sense we would decrease our finger pointing at Washington regardless of our political affiliation. I see the problem being local not at Pennslvania Avenue. The general population has gone into a slumber in unison locally. Now that I beleive is a illness that may be irreversible at this juncture on all accounts.

Concerning torture, waterboarding, hanging, burning at the stake, or whatever term we wish to use, and regardles of the intent of the application, history reflects that, with one exception, inhumane treatment of others is not the answer.

From 1987 through 1989 I went to many of the feminist conferences (etc.) in New York City and environs, and at 2 out of 3 of them, during the question session of the keynote speaker or the plenary session, a woman would get the mic and she would commence reading from about a 10-page handwritten (on yellow paper, both sides, no margins) document she held. She would read rapidly and look up from time to time and someone would usually try to gently or diplomatically get her off the mic by about page 3. We called her “the Ozone Lady.” She was speaking urgently (pressured speech, I later learned to call it) about the environmental damage being done to the ozone layer, and the negative effects this would have on the world by, say, year 2014 or 3059. Nobody was cruel to her but we were generally politely dismissive; after all she was off topic. I have thought about her often. She was (then) young and athletic looking, and not at all giving a senile, “bag-lady” or other disheviled or “slightly off” appearance. I have thought of her often.

Who knows? She was probably fit for public office!

• frsandoval says:

Oh my god, Malisha. I may have married this woman you speak off, once upon a time. That explains all the legal pads in my life. It also reminds me of story about a little boy who got in trouble with his Mom and ran away on his trike. The neighbor stopped him after watching him going around the block several times. The neighbor inquired why he was going around and around the block. He humbly responded that he was running away from home but he was not allowed to cross the street by himself.

• I agree that fix thyself is the first step for each of us and a never-ending task.

However,we do not exist alone. Each one of us belongs to more than one group or community.

In what sense do we exist without reference to the community or communities to which we belong?

Yet, we are much more than a drop in the sea.

Rabbi Hillel said,

If I am not for myself, who is for me? And when I am for myself, what am ‘I’? And if not now, then when?

I mentioned disqualifiers to promote discussion because I do not want to be part of a group led by someone who holds one or more of those views.

Far too many people in public office are unfit to serve, and far too many people running for public office at the present time are unfit to serve, as if people who are sane rarely run for public office any more.

What ever happened to the idea that we are supposed to do everything for the highest and best benefit to all concerned – meaning all citizens, as well as all other beings we affect, i.e. all flora, fauna, etc. – ? Easy. Simple. Compassionate.

3. I’m going to add four more disqualifiers:

(3) Racist

(4) Misogynist

(5) Demonizes Muslims as a class of people to fear and hate

(6) Uses fear to manipulate voters

Well then you can’t have ANY people in public office. We’ll have to settle for anarchy. Which is OK.

I wonder if all the above disqualifiers would be more prominent with anarchy or less?

I’m hoping less, because the way things are going, we’re gonna get anarchy dished out with a lotta dystopia.

I think an automatic disqualifier ought to be set up as follows:

1. Person is interviewed by Malisha;
    2. Person is not endorsed by Malisha;
    3. That’s it. Game over.

We’d have a much better government by following this — as the glossy magazines and internet pop-up ads all say– one simple trick. 😆