posted by Crane-Station, post updated from previous version and cross posted at MyFDL (Firedoglake) as “Grass Camo.” Many thanks to MyFDL editors for the photo and title edit.
The militarization of US domestic police is evident in recruitment advertising and beyond. Through government grants, police are receiving military equipment that is fit for wartime combat, to use in civilian domestic communities. Civil law and civil rights are evidently suspended, and a form of military justice by police, or what some call a police state is the new norm.
In an article titled, “Community Police Armed with the Weapons and Tactics of War,” ACLU explains:
Billions of dollars’ worth of military weapons and equipment is available to local police departments through grant programs administered by federal agencies such as the Departments of Defense, Justice, and Homeland Security. Until now, this has gone on with very little public oversight. Too little has been known about how much military equipment law enforcement agencies have, why they have it, and how they are using it.
Consider the recent case: “23 Police Officers Fire 377 Bullets at Two Men With Zero Guns”
Bullets were sprayed everywhere. They hit the Volvo, other cars in the lot, fence posts and neighboring businesses. They blasted holes in a townhouse where a 12-year-old dove to the ground for cover and a four month old slept in his crib.
Was the use of 377 bullets that endangered other people and children, to kill two unarmed individuals who were trying to surrender not a clear example of overpolicing gone buck wild insane?
Look at these police department recruitment videos and tell us what you think. Do they send a message that over-aggressive policing is not only necessary but also heroic and glamorous? There are many recruitment videos like the ones in this post. How about APD- Albuquerque, they’ve been in the news lately, right?
Here is a police department commercial, from Hobbs, New Mexcico PD:
How about this one. Police, or military?
The United Police State of America: Grass Camo. That is all.
- The disturbing messages in police recruitment videos.
- Records: Unarmed man shot by police has mental illness
- Family seeks help with schizophrenic family member, police arrive and tase, shoot him — “My son did not deserve 11 shots to his head.”
- Pets often victims in police raids
- Georgia teen holding Wii remote shot by cops at his front door: family lawyer — “Christopher Roupe, 17, was shot by a Euharlee police officer on Friday when he answered the door.”
- Dallas police chief calls for body cameras after cops shoot unarmed teen, mentally ill man
- Sober woman arrested for DUI after WI deputy causes crash, breaking her neck.
- Accountability Through Transparency Video Contest [hat tip mzchief]
Off-topic: Starring The Decorah Eagles
Photo by mpeake released under a Creative Commons No Derivatives.