Greed is a false god

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Good morning:

Today is Easter Sunday.

Whether or not you celebrate Easter, resurrection is an ancient myth that was old before humans invented writing. The Ancient Egyptian story of the resurrection of Osiris dates back to a time long before Menes unified the Two Lands creating the fabled Old Kingdom of Egypt in approximately 3,000 BC.

Jesus was a rabbi and the core principle of his teachings is the Golden Rule:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Rabbi Hillel, who lived and died before Jesus was born, expressed the Golden Rule:

“That which is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole Law. The rest is commentary. Now go and learn.”

Greed is one of the seven deadly sins and incompatible with the Golden Rule.

Nevertheless, greed is the so-called invisible hand that regulates the free market and, according to neoliberals, the only acceptable form of regulation. Not only is unrestricted greed an acceptable business plan, it has become the only acceptable business plan. Thus, has greed been accorded godlike status.

And we wonder why the world is so messed up.

Rabbi Hillel also said,

“If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?”

We are in this together.

Greed is not a path to prosperity. It is a path to corruption, exploitation, enslavement and chaos.

We all know know it.

Now let’s do something about it.

11 Responses to Greed is a false god

1. fauxmccoy says:

there is a reason i spent the last 20 years of my working life in the non-profit sector — whether it was the battered women’s shelter or natural food co-ops. i liked the business model (especially the employee owned, collectively operated Rainbow Grocery) AND it was all service to the community i called home.

excellent message, prof. sorry i’m late to the easter parade.

• I’m a big fan of co-ops.

IIRC, about 80% of Spain’s businesses are cooperatively owned.

• fauxmccoy says:

and i love espana! i’m trying to convince my husband to move there when the kids are grown and my obligation to aging parents is not an issue.. it’s the same weather we have here in the sacramento valley, the art, food and architecture are fabulous and i can speak the language. he’s nervous about the language thing for himself, but i suspect if he can speak IT geek fluently, it won’t be that hard on him. 🙂

yes, co-ops are fabulous!

Greed is what underlies most of our problems, the economic devastation, the ecological devastation, our racist culture, and so much more. If we could eradicate greed, the rest of our problems could be solved.

3. ed nelson says:

“On this day that we celebrate resurrection and rebirth, we would do well to recommit ourselves to living the Golden Rule. Believing it is not enough. Breath it. Live it. Become it, now.”

// The celebration of resurrection and rebirth//

Could it be that this celebration in the Christian Religion is a reaffirmation of something more Eastern?
    What I mean is: Death and resurrection…. Death and rebirth!!
    Reincarnation… and the endless circle of birth and rebirth.
    Just wondering if there is any connection.
    Of course the Golden Rule, is equivalent to Karma.

4. That was the most important post I’ve ever read by you Professor. Truly inspirational & may I add, from experience, the economic model you hint at is doable and profitable.

I like money and know very well that my personal financial security is based on others having a modicum of the same.

Hoppy Easter and Spring renewal and remember to put those eggs taway for the lean times..

5. racerrodig says:

Happy Easter, no matter what Faith you are.

“We are in this together.

You know it.

Now do something about it.”

Funny……………..I’ve been saying that for about 40 years now. I’m gonna jump out on a limb here and say that this is a major reason most of us are on this site Professor.

• You’re right.

I intended the post to apply to a wider audience, as well as ourselves.

I did not intend to exempt myself.

At Crane’s suggestion, I have changed the last few lines to sound less judgmental.

We all know know it.

Now let’s do something about it.

• racerrodig says:

Trust me, I know you weren’t excluding yourself.

One of the things I live by, and I tell this to many people, is “I was born poor and naked…..if I die and I’m not naked, I’m ahead of the game as long as I have been a positive influence on someone”

• colin black says:

Id think a lot of people die Naked as they were haveing sex and Ive wonderd .

Say a man with an ubdetected heart defect.

Mine Better half had a left venticle to her hear paper thin due to contractung scarlett fever as a Baby .

Neither the Scarlet Fever or heart damage was picked up on untill She was In her late 40s

Any way I digress this Is a males undetected or aware of heart condition.

So there coupulating away and the mans heart is beating faster an faster.

Andjust as orgasim is imminent you know the vinegar stroke or plunge.

His heart gives out due to massive corany and he dies almost instantly.

However just before he passed he reached orgasim an sperm are wiggling and sqwiggling an swiimming for the prize.

What in a trying to aasertain is this

Once he died after pulling the trigger and his partner in the throws of passion is unaware.And besides most women are used to men turning into a dead weight after theve enptied ther ba bags.

Are the sperm on release even if there donator has ceased to exist .

On auto pilot and If so could the resulting Child If an egg .was fertilised an full term pregnancy succsessfull.

Be considered as the Cild of a Dead Man.

Imagine listing the Father on the birth certificate.

Deseased?

Just rememberd dont have to imagine its already appened quite often.

Males with terminal cancer and other terminal illnesses have sperm stored and frozen In case they dont survive .,
          And there Wifes use it lateron after there Dead to have there deseased Husbands Baby.