What’s next for Michael Dunn

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Good morning:

Crane and I thank everyone who has responded to our financial plight with a donation. Some of you have made multiple donations and we are very grateful.

Because it takes several days for Paypal to transfer money into our bank account, we are expecting to be without electricity for several days, possibly starting later today. Fortunately, the weather is warming up into the high 50s today and for the rest of this week, so we are not in any danger of freezing.

We will not have internet access when the power is shut off, but we can motor to the nearest McDonald’s and use their WiFi connection to periodically post and comment. We should be able to get through this without too much interruption or inconvenience.

Now to today’s post.

Angela Corey has to decide whether she is going to retry Michael Dunn for killing Jordan Davis. She said she would, but prosecutors almost always say they will do that, only to later change their minds and attempt to resolve the charge by entering into a plea agreement with the defendant in exchange for reducing the charge. If she decides to go this route and Dunn refuses to plead guilty to anything, which is what I expect he will do since he is already looking at a minimum 60-year sentence on the three attempted second degree murder charges, she will have to either retry him on the murder charge or dismiss it and proceed to sentencing.

I believe it’s pretty clear that the jury was unable to reach a verdict on the murder charge because one or more jurors concluded that Dunn shot Jordan Davis in self-defense. I doubt a majority of the jury believed that, but this is Florida, the Gunshine State, where many white people apparently believe all black male teenagers are thugs armed to the teeth and looking for an excuse to kill white males and steal their wives or girlfriends.

Some of the jurors who wanted to convict Dunn probably have contacted Corey and informed her regarding how many jurors bought the self-defense argument and their reasons for doing so.

Corey is more likely to retry the murder charge, if the vote were 11-1 or 10-2 to convict, as opposed to acquit. She may ultimately decide against retrying Dunn for the murder, if 4 or more jurors held out to acquit. After all, there is not much point in retrying Dunn, unless good reason exists to believe the retrial will end in a conviction.

The evidence against Dunn was overwhelming. However, she did not use Dunn’s overtly racist letters in which he said the world would be a better place if more white people shot and killed black thugs and gangsters like the boys in the red Durango.

Corey likely will have to use those letters, if she hopes to convict Dunn, and I am not at all certain that she is willing to do that. After all, she was elected State Attorney by pandering to white racist fear of black male teenagers by promising to aggressively prosecute and convict all the thugs and gangsters, which are the new words used to replace the N-word.

Her apparent lack of zeal to convict George Zimmerman for the murder of Trayvon Martin does not inspire confidence that she is not racist. Frankly, I think she shares some of Dunn’s beliefs, so I would not be surprised if she ultimately dismisses the murder charge.

Dunn has a constitutional right to appeal the case after the sentence is imposed and a final judgment is entered.

He also has a constitutional right to be represented by court-appointed counsel during that appeal at public expense, if he is indigent and unable to hire private counsel.

Incidentally, the same applies to a retrial of the murder charge. Look for Cory Strolla to move to withdraw, if Dunn is out of money.

The court would most likely appoint a public defender to represent Dunn, although courts sometimes appoint a private lawyer willing to work at the lower rates courts are willing to pay.

At this point, I do not believe Dunn has any meritorious issues to raise on appeal. Therefore, regardless of the outcome of a retrial of the murder charge, I believe he will spend the rest of his life in prison.

188 Responses to What’s next for Michael Dunn

1. J4TMinATL says:

I’m watching the interview with Davis’ parents on Good Morning America right now. If anyone gets link, please share.

2. Nightline interview of Juror 4 Dunn Trial

• shyloh says:

I really hate to say this but I don’t believe Michael Dunn will ever be convicted on murder1 or anything else in the State of Florida! I just don’t see it happening. He’ll die in prison, and it won’t be of natural causes. That’s my guess.

• roderick2012 says:

I completely agree and that’s why it’s a waste of time and taxpayer money to retry him even with a six person jury on Murder 2.

• That’s not possible because the grand jury indicted him for M1. She can offer to let him plead guilty to M2 or MS, but if he refuses, she has to try him for M1 or dismiss the charge based on the hung jury.

If she tries him for M1, the jury would be given the lesser included instructions for M2 and MS.

Since the charge would be M1, a 12-person jury would decide the case.

I think the 12 person (rather than 6 person) jury is good enough reason to try M1 (with lesser includeds)

• roderick2012 says:

Actually my post was semi sarcastic in that I doubt that you could assemble a jury in FL what would convict him on manslaughter (anything).

What disturbed me was that even the nine who wanted to convict Dunn were divided amongst themselves on Murder1, Murder 2, and manslaughter.

BTW does a grand jury indictment ever expire?

• No, but Dunn has a right to a speedy trial, pursuant to Rule 3.191 of the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure, which is 90 days from the date of the mistrial.

The trial must start before that deadline or the charge must be dismissed.

However, Dunn could waive speedy trial in order to get a continuance and he might have to do that if a new lawyer takes over.

• a2nite says:

Props to the grand jury.

• MDH says:

What gets me in both the Dunn and Zimmerman cases is that so many (9 out of 18) accept the premise that a larger male (207lbs Zimmerman and 260lbs Dunn) who has a gun is in a life threatening situation when faced with or in a physical struggle with a smaller male who has no weapon.

And then they beamingly claim race was not a factor. Implicit racism it is.

• roderick2012 says:

@MDH

It’s that mythical black male athleticism at work.

Remember how Trayvon was described as athletic even though he hadn’t played sports in years. Trayvon was depicted as muscular even though it was obvious in pictures he was a stringbean at 158 pounds soaking wet and didn’t seem to have any musculature. Just a tall lanky kid.

Remember how George was described as middle aged (at 28 y/o)? LOL

I guess should be retired at 42.

• J4TMinATL says:

I’m happy she spoke out. Didn’t hide her name. Seems she graduated or is a fan of Ohio State.

Thanks for sharing the video @Twosides.

Question now is with the split being 9-3, will Corey retry? I believe she should.

YW.

I too think Corey should go for it. What does she have to lose? She might win the lottery this time, 12-0.

Ha, maybe we can blame Congress – the people are so used to seeing the far right not cooperating in matters where there should be conciliation and cooperation that juries think they can create their own facts. Ironic that the far right is fond of saying you can have your own opinion but you can’t create your own facts.

3. J4TMinATL says:

Nightline starting in less than 15 minutes with first juror to break her silence. More of interview will air on Good Morning America in the morning, also Davis’ parents will also be on ABC’s GMA in the morning too. Set your DVR’s!!!

• J4TMinATL says:

3 thought he was acting in self defense???? Insane. Interview is with Juror #4 (Valerie).

Initial vote was 10-2 then one of those 2 convinced a third juror so the final split was 9-3. Three believed he was justified. The 9 that thought he was guilty were split between M1, M2, and MS. So, the 9 weren’t able to convict other 3 of MS.

SMH.

I will bet the hold-out-for-acquittal juror will not be the one speaking out. She’s just an outhouser. The one speaking out will be one of the 11 (probably) jurors who understood that when you attempt to kill three boys and fail, and you actually manage to succeed at killing the fourth, the three you miss have not been more victimized by criminal behavior than the one you killed. OMG OMG Can Americans be that stupid? Has the herd been dumbed down that badly? Rhetorical questions.

• J4TMinATL says:

Correct she is #4 juror. She says race wasn’t an issue during jury deliberations. She felt Dunn should have been convicted of 1st degree murder.

Juror says that the split changed over course of deliberation. She will reveal exact split tonight and reasoning. Says they tried to convince the others to vote M1. There was more than one holdout so rumor of 11-1 is incorrect.

5. J4TMinATL says:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A juror in the Michael Dunn case is speaking out.

In an exclusive interview with Nightline and Good Morning America, the juror talks about the more than 30 hours of intense deliberations.

A jury of seven women and five men found Dunn guilty of three counts of attempted murder and one count of shooting into an occupied vehicle. The jury was deadlocked on the first-degree murder charge in the death of Jordan Davis. The judge declared a mistrial on that count.

The interview will air on ABC Nightline (12:30am ET) on Tuesday night after Jimmy Kimmel and on Good Morning America on Wednesday.

In the uh-oh category 4 proofreaders:

Someone says “Davis’s attorney” when they mean “Dunn’s”:

uh…are you sure of that?

7. groans says:

OMG – Y’all have to see tonight’s Daily Show (it re-plays at various times, and is also viewable online).He’s doing a piece on the Dunn case.

I especially like the line where Jon Stewart sympathizes with the hearing-sensitive a-hole, Dunn:

“Firing 9 shots must have really hurt his sensitive ears!”

[Or something along those lines…!]

8. J4TMinATL says:

Who is staying up to see first Dunn juror interview tonight on ABC nightline? White female juror speaks out.

• J4TMinATL says:

Davis attorney reporting he has heard rumor of 11-1. One hold out on self defense. White blonde female juror who will be on ABC tonight on Nightline says yelling and cussing were part of deliberations.

9. colin black says:

Forget criminal courts and biased Jurours an Indiffernt prosecuters.

Jordans Parents should just take him down In civil court.

Its obvious to every right thinking person he was guilty an the jury got that wron,

Don’t give them another chance .

He is incaserated for his natural puff as Is

L et A civil court find him guilty an take hime for every penny he has any property cars flat screens Persian rugs

After all he wont have any use for that material shit no more .

Use the proceeds to staret a scholarship In Jordans Memory,

vCriminal proseedings at this point punishment wise is the equivalent of flogging a dead horse I m o.

• I believe there already was a civil suit, but I could be wrong – anyone else know?

• lurker says:

I heard that there was a civil suit settled in the family’s favor before the trial. However, I also remember Dunn, through his attorney at the press conference while the jury was out claiming not to have agreed to the settlement. So, I don’t know what all that’s about.

• Two civil suits against Dunn were settled approximately a month before the trial, according to John Phillips the lawyer who represents Jordan Davis’s parents.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

10. groans says:

Well … WHO KNEW?

Many thanks for that information! I never, ever would have thought that’s the process. This criminal stuff is weird as all get out….

• I realize you’re being sarcastic, but a lot of people who don’t know as much about the criminal justice system as you do believe he will be sentenced the week of March 24th on the attempt murder counts and for shooting into the Durango — before Corey decides whether to retry him on the murder charge.

11. Sandy says:

So Shawn was homeless and living in his car and they put him in jail for theft? Can you see why I’m confuzzled?

12. Momma says:

Dan Abrams ‏@danabrams 3m
    Tonight @Nightline we have the first interview with a juror from the #DunnTrial. She explains why the jury deadlocked.

13. Patdeadder says:

I can’t stop thinking about Shawn the young man that got the plate number I wish I had money to help him in someway.
    He’s in prison for 7 years.
    To jump to dunn does he remain in jail until he is sentenced or is he in prison now?

14. Sandy says:

Wow. Poor Georgie.

George Zimmerman fled Miami after someone threatened there was a huge bounty on his head.

Zimmerman taped an interview last Tuesday with Univision and Fusion, and then took his girlfriend, her kid and his brother to the beach. While they were catching some rays, people noticed him, started harassing him, and then someone shouted out George had a $10,000 bounty on his head.

We’re told it freaked him out and they all retreated to the hotel, but the crowd followed them.

Security swept their room to make sure no one tampered with their stuff and then stood guard throughout the day and night. We’re told Zimmerman did his CNN interview early the next morning and then beat it … literally fleeing Miami.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/18/george-zimmerman-miami-tv-interviews-bounty/#ixzz2tixogdBJ

• groans says:

LOL! Thanks so much for that, bettykath. It made my day (which was a stressful one at work)!

I mean, karma might be super-cool and powerful and all that, but it hasn’t struck me as being particularly swift or efficient. So, SOMEONE’s got to keep all options open and have a “Plan B” in the works!

• texad says:

I’m glad Fogen is scared. I’m glad he’s freaked out. I’m glad he can’t pollute the waters of the beach in Miami with his putrid presence. As for the bounty, I doubt if the New Black Panther Party [which is NOT the Black Panther Party, by the way] has $1,000.00, much less $1 million. Shhhhh. Don’t tell Fogen. Let him keep running and living in fear.

• dee truth says:

I didn’t look at the video of the NBPP that was included in the article, but on another site, someone commented that it was the video from Feb/Mar 2012, where I believe the NBPP supposedly offered a bounty for the “capture” of Georgie. I agree – the 5 members of the NBPP probably don’t have 2 nickles to rub together and were not on the beach in Miami threatening George. I can believe however that people spotted him on the beach and decided to F with him and scare the crap out of him. For that, I commend them..

George feels important when he tries to paint himself as a victim, and when he alleges that the POTUS and the US AG are scapegoating him. What a sick puppy.

yeah–take him 4 a poop walk. And then a perp walk.

• groans says:

If I saw him on either a poop walk or a perp walk, I believe I’d feel in fear for my life. I mean the CAC has a very real history of killing without regret, after all. And he’s advertised loud and clear that he always carries. So I believe my fear would be well founded in reason.

• roderick2012 says:

“Fact is … the bounty threat seems somewhat real. There’s a Black Panthers video online in which one of the leaders puts a $1 MILLION bounty on Zimmerman’s head.”

That may be true but no one is checking for Piglet because as badly as this economic downturn has impacted African Americans George would have been six feet under months ago if anyone cared about his sorry arse.

OT for a bit of levity. A new spin on king of the mountain.

• MDH says:

Wow, that’s a fine read that I will need to revisit.

We should also be asking what is causing implicit bias. My answer would be a system that is rife with propaganda reinforcing racial stereotypes.

A while back, I wrote that one of the best things a white person can do is to move to an area where they are a minority.

Live in that environment for a while and go back to a Whitetopia and the first thing that will strike you is that most of these people in Whiteopia are messed up in the head about minorities.

I mean I am absolutely flabbergasted at why Trayvon Martin was deemed a suspect. Sure, George Zimmerman is a nut case, but what about the very large number of whites who thought or still think his suspicions were reasonable?

• racerrodig says:

The caption that should appear over Duuhhnn’s head at the top of that article should read…”What the fuck…..I told you it was self defense……..I said he had a stick….or a shotgun, what else do you want from me??”

• Superb. Blasts a lot of misconceptions about race out of the water.

18. John M. Phillips ‏@JohnPhillips 11h
    Rumors starting to circulate it was ONE female juror who held out from day one on justifiable homicide. #MichaelDunn #JordanDavis
    from Jacksonville, FL

19. Trained Observer says:

Barf. Just barf. Pure tripe.

20. What a two-bit con man this guy is. Sorry if this is a re-post:

• 1) He has no regrets.
      2) “My life would be tremendously easier if I had stayed home.”
      3) He pretty much only thinks about himself.
      4) He wishes he had stayed home, but he does not wish Trayvon was still alive, he says “That’s a presumption.” Keeps talking about himself.
      5) Refuses to apologize. Refuses to address the family. Then claims he did this at the bond hearing. (which is a lie, by the way)
      7) Doesn’t consider the victim, Trayvon Martin, who is dead. Focuses on himself.
      8) Deals with criticism by “loving” his racist supporters “more.”

And that only covers the first four minutes.

• MDH says:

Yea, the apology where he tells Trayvon’s parents “I did not know he was just a teen”. Even though the 9-11 call has him describe “the suspect” as in his late teens.

All this shit has been out there, for years; and the press just keeps on trying to be fair, partial and understanding to this creep.

He is as creepy as Commodus:

And if only there was some Roman justice for him.

• racerrodig says:

“6) Instead, he says, “I’m sorry for their loss.” But he gives this half-assed insincere statement only after rolling his eyes, hemming and hawing.”

Remember the tag line…..”…I thought he was my age…..a little younger maybe…”

“…..and he’s a black male….late teens”

The depths of his depravity cannot be measured by mortals.

• Simply amazing he doesn’t have a hundred-foot-long nose.

• roderick2012 says:

Of course his defenders said that Trayvon looked older close up.

GTFOOHWTS!!!

How the hell do you guess someone’s age correctly from a distance on a very dark night, but someone looks older when you get closer to him.

George was sure that Trayvon was a teen because he referred to him as a ‘kid’ later during the NEN call.

• MDH says:

He does make a mockery of the self-anointed intelligence of the trolls who come out of the word work to defend him. The implication of the trolls was that black people were emotionally rushing to judge poor George and the whites defending him were letting race guilt cloud their thinking.

Well, Karma, the bitch, has struck with a vengeance.

They (the trolls) would have more dignity, if they would just admit their situation.

• Well armchair psychology ain’t that nice, but sure sounds like sociopathy.

• groans says:

Looked like an ordinary, run-of-the-mill sociopath, to me.

21. We extend our deepest gratitude to our readers; our power bill has been met, and we can continue without interruption and a cut-on fee.. Fred has returned, and will be emailing to make arrangements for return payment, to those who made calls and payments on our behalf, to the power company. We are very aware that the majority of us are in the same boat this winter- for some reason this month’s bill was exceptionally high. Yesterday when I spoke to the power company, they told me that the cold is partly to blame, but it seems the rates also increased. That is not the exact term she used, but that is what it amounts to. My heart goes out to residents of this area who are shut in, or who cannot get help. We are so fortunate, and so thankful.

22. Sorry if this is a re-post.

Not Again: One Black Attorney’s Thoughts on the Michael Dunn Verdict

23. justice4all says:

Fred and C/S,

Check your e-mail.

24. sparger says:

George Zmmerman is a victim like our fallen soldiers Also he has 2 black sisters that are doctors.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha.

• MDH says:

He just shot himself in the foot by comparing himself to fallen soldiers. That one will lose him some more support on the right side of the fence. In the military culture I am familiar with, one, unless they have been in a shooting war, does not compare themselves to the fallen. He would get his ass kicked in an American Legion Hall.

George is an insane morph of these well known quotes:

“Fascism will come to America wrapped in a flag and holding a bible”

“Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels”

His biological sisters are black?

Then he would be black.

If they are step sisters, then one of his biological parents is black.

Why have they not come forward to eloquently, as expected of doctors, defend him?

Oh, I get it. They are out with his buddy Taffe, having a good old time talking about how the scum of the Earth engage in mixed race relations.

• Girlp says:

Deluded…can you be psychotic and a sociopath at the same time?

DOn’t think so because sociopathic people ARE in touch with reality; their reality consists totally and solely of what THEY want and whatever they need to do to and with others to GET what they want. They’re not nuts; they’re bad.

• Girlp says:

Well he is a danger to everyone. This interview is scary.

• racerrodig says:

It’s a damn good thing he didn’t testify in court. You do know I stated many times that The Holy Bible would have spontaneously combusted ……….any doubters now ???????

• Girlp says:

“ZIMMERMAN: There’s so many different aspects. I feel the people in power, like Gov. Scott, cowered to political pressure and shredded the Constitution, and spit in the face of all our fallen soldiers, and went through with a malicious prosecution, simply for political pressure.”…see word salad he has serious mental health issues, that’s why they had him drugged up during the trial…how could Shelly have not seen this!!!!

• Spit in the face of our fallen soldiers. Hmm. Wow.

• Oh my God, wait. It’s worse, he is not only our fallen soldiers in the collective, he actually suffered more than Christ, apparently:

” The one where Zimmerman compares himself to Christ, says he never reflects on his profiteering, and claims his paintings are a part of him.”

What a horrendous egregious human being this Fogen person is. GZ: Tell it to our disabled veterans, you big fat loser.

Seriously.

• Thinks he’s a Soldier of God, and I suspect God is carefully considering what to do with him next. Watch out, Fogen, you haven’t seen anything yet!

• sparger says:

I love how the artwork he photocopied is a part of him. He is a complete moron.

• Oh, now this is rich. “Rick Scott spit in the face of our fallen soldiers.” Rick Scott, how do you do and thank you.

Ironic, because I’ll bet he voted for Rick Scott.

• anita says:

Fogen is completely out of his mind. He has to be “revelent” & in the news every so often to feed his sick assed self. Is he getting paid for the gawker interview? CNN doesn’t pay , does it? No media outlet should ever give him a dime. So disgusting , seems like he’s getting crazier.

• Some people diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder are characterized by exaggerated feelings of self-importance. They have a sense of entitlement and demonstrate grandiosity in their beliefs and behavior. They have a strong need for admiration, but lack feelings of empathy.[4]
            Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-IV-TR include:

Expects to be recognized as superior and special, without superior accomplishments

Expects constant attention, admiration and positive reinforcement from others

Envies others and believes others envy him/her
            Is preoccupied with thoughts and fantasies of great success,
            enormous attractiveness, power, intelligence

Lacks the ability to empathize with the feelings or desires of others

Is arrogant in attitudes and behavior

Has expectations of special treatment that are unrealistic

Suppose I could add: considers self on par with God.

• groans says:

I don’t get the answer about the so-called $100K painting sale being “by a private seller.”

Has he detached so completely from reality now that he views himself as a third party?

I think he is right about Scott. Scott did go with political pressure from the demonstrations to appoint a DA who make the charge (poor george), but who would then make sure that white privilege won the case by allowing a jury that lives for white privilege to acquit. Instead of focusing on the charge (poor george), he should be focusing on the guaranteed “walk” she gave him.

So our soldiers (many of whom were African American) fell so that the Governor of Florida would protect Fogen from being prosecuted for shooting an unarmed child in the heart? Here I thought they were falling to prevent unarmed children in our and other countries from being shot in the heart!

• racerrodig says:

I’m stunned…..totally in disbelief…….i don’t know what to say, which is hard to believe…….did he say that his prosecution was a slap in the face to fallen soldiers ???

He did…….WTF is he talking about…..what, did he win the Medal of Honor while we were in the bathroom ??

2 black sisters…..who are doctors……and it took 2 years to disclose that lie……..

I can’t wait to hear what Robbie the Racist has to say on that one.

• .did he say that his prosecution was a slap in the face to fallen soldiers ???

Yup, sure did. My father was on an attack cargo ship in the WWII Pacific Theater, damn lucky he made it back out. I’m sure he would not appreciate this sick fool, at all.

• MDH says:

My father was in the Merchant Marine in WW2. His friend was on two ships that got torpedoes by German U-Boats. As a child, I remember him as a furtive, nervous wreck who went from one cigarette to another.

Another guy in our neighborhood had been overrun during the Korean War. Cold winter snowstorms would seem to set him off. He would come into the store for beer or wine and get this look in his eyes and start saying “god was cold… we had to sleep under the tanks with their engines running… god it was cold.

A friend of my uncle was also overrun. He did the hide under the bodies and play dead to survive.

And that shit want to compare himself to these men?

He could not even go to the market to buy a bag of gummies without a gun, here in the USA.

• concernedczen says:

It’s amazing that anyone raised in his household would be successful. I suspect he is stretching the truth though.

Weird. How come those two African American sisters of his who are doctors didn’t come testify that they recognized his screams?

Interesting. If the rumor is true, then that was the woman who was allegedly crying in BR during deliberations on Saturday. I thought it might be the opposite – a holdout for guilty frustrated by others who wanted to exonerate.

And if this is true, it’s also quite encouraging in terms of retrying the case, although there’s always the danger that they’d get more than one jury member of that sort. However, Dunn’s cause has not been as popular as Fogen’s, so the chances lean more toward conviction, especially with public knowledge of his jailhouse calls and letters.

Fred and Crane, hope you can convince the power company to wait for the Peter Pan to do its thing. Or that they’re slow to show up. I once had power and gas turned off (renters and we weren’t getting the bill and young and uncertain about what was going on – if I recall, both were still in the previous tenant’s names or something) and my landlord cut the clampy thingies and we turned both on again and then mailed checks since the companies were finally communicating with us by mail and phone by that time.

26. ay2z says:

Democracy dot com has an excellent poar reiL video posted. If anyone can download and share here to compliment today’s article, please do.

• I could be wrong, but I think the shooter and victim are both black, so the shooter is more likely to be convicted.

• lady2soothe says:

Yes, the shooter Claudius Smith, 33 was a Black Man.

The alleged gunman, Claudius Smith, 33, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 21-year-old Ricardo Sanes. Smith was reportedly inside his single-family home in Orlando Thursday when his girlfriend noticed a man on surveillance video “walking around his yard,” wearing dark clothing, and then climbing over a fence into a nearby apartment complex.

According to documents, Smith told police he had had recent problems with burglaries at his home and was “certain” the man seen on the surveillance video was responsible. Smith told police he jumped the fence into the apartment complex, armed with a handgun, and saw Sanes “looking into windows of apartments as he walked past them.”

Smith said he pulled out his gun and confronted Sanes, grabbing Sanes’ hooded sweatshirt and trying to force him back to his house so he could call the police. Smith said Sanes “punched him in the mouth and grabbed for his gun.”

Fearing Sanes was armed, Smith shot. Police did later find a handgun concealed in Sanes’ pants. However, investigators also reportedly discovered that Sanes was shot in the back, which could contradict Smith’s story.
        It’s not clear whether Smith will seek to use the “Stand Your Ground” statute in his defense.

• Girlp says:

If they are both black the shooter will be convicted…Whats so sad is that justice is not blind.

27. JJ says:

What is the statute of limitations for retrying Dunn’s murder case? Hopefully we will vote out Mr. Scott and Angela Corey won’t be in office forever.

28. stan says:

Off topic

Ok, just for argument’s sake let me create another scenario for your evaluation as administrator of your web-site.

In the 1960 film ‘Exodus’ Eva Marie Saint asks Paul Newman if she can adopt a young Jewish girl who has been saved from a concentration camp and brought to the soon to become State of Israel.

Newman responds to her question with the following response which I will paraphrase:

‘Sure lady, take as many as you want, Jewish life is cheap.’

Now, considering the history of African Americans in this country before, during, and after the Civil War, would it not be an accurate statement to make of which Trevon Martin is a most glaring recent example that African American life is ’cheap’ in the same sense that Newman used the concept in ‘Exodus’?

And if Newman could make this rather disturbing statement to millions of people through the silver screen, is not my initial statement that was censored basically the same concept only expressed in a more vulgar form?

And I do readily admit I carefully selected and then employed the phraseology presented on your web-site to shock while conveying and illuminating events and thoughts which are to say the least very serious and most disturbing.

And thus in retrospect, if anything, your deletion of my comment speaks volumes of my success to a fault.

And therefore, is it the concept to which you objected, or my diction?

• Liza says:

Stan, I saw your comment before it was deleted and, to be honest, I understood it the way you later clarified. Other people understood it differently because it was ambiguous, and I’m not even sure I was right. Try to appreciate that you are not a screenwriter and what Paul Newman’s character said within the context of an entire film is not analogous to your commenting on a blog post. Comments from individuals require clarity or they are subject to individual interpretation, as yours was. No one is going to spend a great deal of time trying to figure out if you are a troll or if you are actually trying to be profound or clever. You may want to re-think your “success.”

• stan says:

Lisa:

I waded into your comment and left wondering if “…’tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the Slings and Arrows of outrageous contempt …”* or walk away asking myself did I just have a run in with one who personifies “Nature red in tooth and claw.”**

I gave it some considerable thought employing that siren of madness, logic, and perforce concluded that self-contempt’s child is often contempt for others, and the unleashed verbal claw often only draws its own blood.

Otherwise, nice to know you care.
        Stan
        *Bill
        ** Alfred

• groans says:

Whoooaaaa, Stan (and/or Bill and/or Alfred)! Maybe it’s time for you to quit “wading” into comments and to get some help for those sirens you’re hearing in your head.

Just a random, outside observation for your consideration. Take care.

• dianetrotter says:

I didn’t see your comment Stan; however, sometimes explaining doesn’t really help. Why not drop it for now? Later on, when people are use to you and your blog personality, we will feel you. Someone called me out as a troll on Huffington Post but others came to my defense. That has happened to various people here. Just relax and keep participating.

• Thank you, I can see and understand the clarification now. Answering for Fred, who moderates, but who is on an errand. Appreciate the explanation, it is this concept you describe, that we are trying very hard to change, and at the same time, it is a painful topic. So, it was likely the diction, such that the concept was lost, just at the first glance there. It was in no way meant to be a personal attack.

• stan says:

You know when I penned my now infamous lines, I had to think carefully how the second line would read because it stated the premise of the thought.

And truth be told, when I connected the phrase “great democracy’ with the spilling of innocent blood, I was certain all who read this would smile and realize I was being sardonic and the blatant truth behind the words was a statement damming the treatment of African Americans and all in this country who suffer the cruelties of a bought and paid for legal system.

And I was shocked, simply shocked that anyone would find offense in my words since they were dripping with sarcasm and hyperbole.

But fate often cuts the cords when we least it, and I was vilified much to my chagrin.

Hope that casts events in a more illuminating perspective.

• racerrodig says:

“… of which Trevon Martin is…”

It’s Trayvon to begin with……it’s been almost 2 years.

Pretty bad company to be making comparisons with.

I understand what you mean, hasn’t there been enough language used like that in the same offensive way that it’s sickening. You could state it better. I don’t tell anyone what to do, other than my 15 year old son, but offensive is offensive.

• stan says:

“What an actor says in a movie is one thing, that’s not real life nor is that line based on any real incident.”

Starting with the above quotation from your response to my comment, let’s review a couple of things you said, ok.

First, the above comment:

Thirteen feet of human ashes covering a large area outside of the crematoria of Auschwitz-Birkenau would confirm that What Newman said is absolutely true.

second:

“To be honest, the one who started the Jewish life is cheap issue is Hitler and those he followed and those who worshiped him.”

No, it was not Hitler. It was the Roman Catholic Church staring with the councils of Nicaea in 325 C.E and 787 C.E. to this very moment which has made sure that persecution, slaughter, and abject misery would follow the killers of ‘The Christ’ until the end of time.

Third:

“…hasn’t there been enough language used like that in the same offensive way that it’s sickening.’

Apparently not since George Zimmerman is a free man after killing an innocent human being in cold blooded murder.

Fourth:

“You could state it better.”
        Describing an obscenity in polite drawing room language just doesn’t do justice to the obscenity.

Fifth:

“…but offensive is offensive.”

I described the offense in language which captured the essence of the act.

Oh, and the very best to you and your progeny.

• racerrodig says:

“No, it was not Hitler. It was the Roman Catholic Church staring with the councils of Nicaea…”

No kidding, wish I’d said it first…..in fact I did….

“Oh, and the very best to you and your progeny.”

And that makes you what…..funny?

• groans says:

Stan – Here’s the dichotomy that reveals your fraud.

Earlier,

Later,

Oh, and the very best to you and your progeny.

Hard to see any sincerity or integrity in this kind of pretend “communication.” (But, again, there might be professionals who can help you.)

• J4TMinATL says:

You said you were leaving so wondering why you are still here?

• J4TMinATL says:

Why can’t you spell TRAYVON correctly Stan….effing pisses me off.

29. PayPal gratefully sent. Dunn should trade a guilty plea for an extra pillow..

30. Trained Observer says:

More gun nuttery: Arkansas guy (black, 48) opens fire on a car filled with seven teens who’d egged, mayoed, and TeePee’d his vehicle. One girl got shot dead in the head. Shooter now charged with M1, terrorist act, and five counts of aggravated assault.

Had this occurred in Florida, he and Dunn would make great cellmates.

• Trained Observer says:

BTW, the girl who caught the fatal bullet is also black. Don’t know if all the teens in the car were black. At least one was a cheerleader. .

• concernedczen says:

it’s amazing and scary what kind of nuts are out there armed with loaded guns

• lurker says:

Yes. One of the sad byproducts of the gun culture promulgated by the so-called “good guys with guns,” is that a lot of young people growing up in crime-filled neighborhoods have picked up on the essence of their message that it is manly or responsible to “carry” for personal protection. We have seen how that thinking goes astray even in careful families with all kinds of education and resources for the protection and guidance of their youth (gun accidents and the like). Just imagine how it goes astray where kids are growing up amidst gangs and street-threats in situations where the education and opportunities are dicey and families often stressed to the limit to hold their kids away from harm.

I gotta say, I know too many dead kids. I have heard too many times the racist joke about how so-and-so was shot down “just as he was getting his life together.” Some might never have “gotten their lives together,” and others were actually doing right. Doesn’t matter to the bullet that took them down. And too many of those bullets were fired by immature young men protecting–as was Dunn–some notion of pride or respect.

We have to take down Stand Your Ground, and attack the racism behind it. But we also have to begin chipping away at the notion that to world is a safer place when more people are armed. It simply is not the case.

• roderick2012 says:

Yes gun nuts come in all colors. *sigh*

31. Trained Observer says:

Judge Healey tentatively set sentencing for March 24. Why would he do that if sentencing needs to wait until after determination on whether there’s a retrial on Count 1.

Win, lose, or another draw on the M1 charge, Dunn’s been found guilty on the other four counts.

32. Soulcatcher says:

Fred/CS

Don’t know if you have read the prior thread re your bill, if not please read to see if this is a way we can help to aviod the cut-off. I am in the process of moving, I will check back as often as I can to see if I can help.

33. lurker says:

“Dunn will not be sentenced until the murder charge is resolved, whether by trial, plea or dismissal. After it is resolved, the matter will proceed to sentencing where Dunn is looking at a sentence of at least 60 years.”

In any case, I have serious doubts about the ability of the prosecution to bring in the necessary elements of race to effectively convince a jury that this crime–whether fueled by prior events at the wedding, enhanced by alcohol, and sparked by the perceived disrespect of Jordan Davis, or not–was essentially a crime based in hatred against a group of people, whether defined by physical attributes of race, or (as minimized by Dunn) by assumed “cultural” attributes of members of that race. This would require presentation of background to assist the jury in understanding such things as the difference between institutional racism and individual prejudice, and particularly in walking the fine line between acknowledging the biasing experiences of jurors and seeming to blame some of them as being members of the majority race and culture. I know that Angela Corey does not possess such finesse, and I have not yet seen it from other members of her team.

• I am wondering about the strict ordering of events that you suggest. I have heard some commentators address the retrial issue by saying that the family could be appeased by an agreement on the part of Dunn NOT to appeal a 60 year sentence (on the grounds that all three charges stem from the same act–asking that they be served concurrently), in exchange for which the state would agree not to retry. It seems that in order for that to happen, the retrial decision would have to remain open until after sentencing. Can the judge (who I believe determines sentencing) be drawn into any such bargaining?

That’s an illusory bargain because the jury convicted Dunn of attempting to murder 3 people with multiple shots. Those are 3 separate crimes deserving consecutive sentences and the statutes require consecutive sentences. I seriously doubt much chance exists to run the sentences concurrent. So what, if he appeals the sentence?

Meanwhile, Dunn has convinced himself that he deserves the key to the city and a ticker tape parade for what he did and I think he wants a retrial.

Whatever agreement is reached must be reached before sentence is imposed and could not bind the judge, who is obligated to follow the law.

One exception: he can’t force Corey to retry Dunn.

In other words, I do not agree with those experts.

• Trained Observer says:

” Key to the city and a ticker tape parade” — Frederick Leatherman

Ever so accurate. And probably would like a champagne reception from his folks’ aviation pals. Except, according to Rhonda, he doesn’t like the bubbly.

• lairdbearly says:

But why the judge set March 24 for sentencing?

• Court hearings tend to be scheduled about a month apart – so if you have an arraignment, then it’s followed a month later by another hearing – although with big charges like murder, there can be long delays before the actual trial. Sentencing usually follows the month away plan.

Notice if you get a traffic ticket, it’s often due about a month later or you can appear in court about that time to contest it.

Or that’s the take I have with my limited experience.

• Sentencings are typically scheduled to occur 6 weeks after a guilty plea or verdict. The scheduling is automatic with the understanding that the date can be continued for good cause at the request of either party with the consent of the judge.

The presentence unit of the probation department is required to produce a presentence report about the defendant, including an interview of the defendant and a sentencing recommendation. Typically takes that long to collect the information about the defendant, including prior record if any, and produce the report.

The sentencing date is a target date for the probation department to do the presentence investigation (PSI) and produce the report.

In his first interview with police (one Black cop and one white), he was about to say a “you know –” sentence about the car full of dangerous Blacks when he quickly changed it to sound like the race issue wasn’t what made him think they were “thugs.” I should look at it again and find the exact minute/and/second location of that sentence.

34. speedster says:

The bottom line is that one racist jury who is preconceived on their verdict in the face of this much evidence doesn’t really count. In my book, he was convicted on all 5 Counts.

He’s going to prison for at least 60 years on Counts 2, 3 & 4 and at least 15 on Count 5 for seventy five (75) count ’em seventy five long lonely years in “Thugville” as he named it.

It sucks that there is no true Justice in the name of Jordan Davis, but he got away with nothing in all reality.

The judge might give him the max…..ya just never know !!

• lurker says:

There is a certain satisfaction in hearing Dunn’s attorney report that his client was stunned by the convictions.

While I would imagine that he will ultimately be able to overcome this by assigning it to pro-black bias, rather than any self-reflection into his own world-view and its errors, I am glad that the court has at least for the moment challenged the denial inherent in his thinking.

• Trained Observer says:

Yes … Dunn’s been living in la-la-land for way too long, and dragging family members like his daughter Rebecca into similar delusional thinking. It’s high time Dunn swallows a big dose of castor oil and suffers the consequences. Unlike Charlie the dog, looks like he’ll never again have the privilege of a truly private poop.

• racerrodig says:

Exactly. I’m not so sure I agree that Corey tried to lose this case like many state she did. If so, she did a bad job of that. I personally wish the state hammered his racism but it’s FL and I’d bet the farm that if they did, they may have not focused on him actually killing anyone.

Don’t even try to figure FL.out The best man at our wedding moved there back in the 90’s and I don’t even know him anymore. He went Zidiot at some point…..must be the water ??

Duuhhnn can blame anything he pleases now……go for it dude. See……he’s talking from behind bars…..not the Rum & Coke kind, the steel, welded vertical kind.

His client was stunned by the conviction….it hasn’t sunk in yet

Jordan Davis was stunned by the bullets fired at him…..he had only seconds for it to sink in.

Trayvon Martin was stunned by the bullet that destroyed his heart. It never sung in, he died to fast.

• racerrodig says:

“..one racist juror…” Oppps

35. concernedczen says:

angela corey is a horrible person…remember that little boy she charged with murder. He was an abused kid, little kid and she wanted to send him to an adult prison

on another note, John Phillips says the rumor is the jury was 11-1 to convict on the murder charge

It was one lone woman who held out to acquit on the murder charge — one Zimmerman type juryr

A young Black activist from Florida on Chris Hayes pointed out that Angela Corey is very aggressive in trying Black youth as adults.