Featuring: Two Sides to a Story’s Coverage of Kelly Thomas Protest

2-hour video uploaded to youtube last night by Troy Turton

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Good morning:

Two Sides to a Story has been attending the demonstrations seeking justice for Kelly Thomas, the mentally ill (schizophrenia) and homeless young man who was suffocated and beaten to death by police officers at the Fullerton (CA) Transit Center.

The event was captured on video by a security camera and spliced together with audio recordings of the officers’s statements during the incident. The audio was captured by the body microphones that each officer was wearing.

Spliced together the recording of the incident lasted about 32 minutes.

The jury incredibly acquitted the officers.

Two Sides deserves accolades aplenty for her persistence and reporting.

Here are her comments about yesterday’s march in Hollywood.

I.

It was a fun protest, though carnivalesque in the way that downtown Hollywood is – definitely a big city feel. At one point a limo stopped and some familiar young face peered out, took photos and waved. Some actor or musician, I think.

LAPD bicycle cops lined the streets sans riot gear, unlike the Fullerton PD, who remained invisible until they decided to put on their show of force. Most of the folks arrested in Fullerton have a hearing on February 18.

I left early tonight, just after a lot of the more peaceful protestors left. Kelly’s mom and dad each gave a speech and honored an LAPD police captain, who seemed friendly and supportive, or at least trying to be, considering LAPD’s bad record and all the “jail killer cops” chanting.

Anonymous and the young anarchists in black were cranking up after the hippies and mainstream folks left, and last I saw them, they were, baiting cops and spoiling for a fight. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone got arrested later on.

II.

Here’s what the protest looked like from a distance. Far from being 5000 souls, but there may have been about 500 during the first two hours. We were allowed to march up Hollywood Blvd for a few blocks and then back to this spot near Hollywood and Vine.

III.

Oh, just remembered – they made the police chief or captain an honorary member of Kelly’s Army – that was interesting.

I should be saving these photos and pasting them to place everyone can see them – too tired. Easier to look for some other links.

IV.

Here’s a CBS video with a few details about the protest – many of these protestors are involved in going all over the state and trying to raise awareness about police brutality.

Citizen journalism via the internet is an extremely powerful tool to use in uncovering and seeking justice for criminal acts and official corruption.

20 Responses to Featuring: Two Sides to a Story’s Coverage of Kelly Thomas Protest

I’m still coming across some wonderful photos of 5000 Angelenos for Kelly Thomas – this album is by Sarah Hardt on FB.

hardt/media_set?set=a.10201564837107719.1073741908.1381291406&type=3&uploaded=52

2. shyloh says:

I am beginning to believe people should protest before a trial not after. Then again they did that at Caylee Anthony’s trial and it didn’t work.

Glad to hear that the “we don’t have time for this” cop shooting of a mentally ill teen will stand trial. But the charge should be murder, not manslaughter, IMO.

4. colin black says:

Two sides to a story says:

February 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm

That was LAPD an LAPD captain that they made an honorary member of Kelly’s Army last night.

The Fullerton police chief at the time of Kelly Thomas’s death was part of the problem. Ramos and Cicinelli were not disciplined or fired until a year after they killed Kelly. Three members of the Fullerton City Council were recalled and the police chief either fired or forced to resign, and this happened only because of constant public pressure by what came to be known as Kelly’s Army.

Kellys HEROS.

An for those that can remember the Fat German Guard Sgnt Shmidt?

His catch phrase was perfect for the initial response to this Murder.

I KNOW NOTHING Ive

seen nothing I KNOW NOTHING!

You couldn’t make this shit up in satire as reality has been there bought the t shirt an been conned into a time share already?

5. KTLA, a local news affiliate, had the most accurate and most intelligent report of the all the mainstream reports about 5,000 Angelenos for Kelly Thomas protest that I came across today.

PS – The citizen’s livestreams are the best place to view these protests. The mainstream media tends to make these look smaller and more insignificant than they really are.

The best still pictures are usually posted to FB and other social media.

Hey, thanks for the nod, Professor. If I’d know of my pending publication, I would have worked harder on my report, LOL!

The bravery of the citizen media / photographers / videographers at these protests is amazing. They do get hassled by the police and sometimes by the mainstream media.

Though I love photography, when I go protest I like to focus on the protesting and don’t like to carry a camera. I don’t yet have a smart phone – I’m generally a few years behind in technology.

8. stan says:

“Two Sides to a Story has been attending the demonstrations seeking justice for Kelly Thomas…”

Since it would be an otiose argument that the concept of justice is not at the heart of Frederick Leatherman’s legal mindset and his ultimate raison d’etre, Fred, my dear friend, I extend to you with my respect and shared joy of intellectual camaraderie the following quotation:

“There can be no life without justice,
    No justice without power,
    No power without strength,
    And that strength has its roots in the people themselves.”

So, in your educated opinion from whence springs the ultimate source of justice for Kelly Thomas and ultimately all denizens of a society?

• We the people.

Thanks, Stan. I like that quote.

• stan says:

Adolph Hitler 1926

A good demonstration of how the same words coming from different mouths are spawned by totally different thoughts.

• stan says:

Fred: Hope I didn’t ruffle your’ Age of Reason/Enlightenment’ feathers with the Hitler quote.

As I watched the archival footage of Hitler’s speeches and came to the part in one speech from whence I lifted the quote, I had to go back and copy the sub-title translation to make sure I heard/read what I thought I heard/read.

My quotation to you was accurate and seriously shocked me when I realized that if an American of a progressive persuasion said these exact words, I would be cheering.

But, I was rather rudely jerked back into the 1926 time frame reality that these words were coming from the mouth and mind of a monster that makes the anti-Christ look like a character out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Indeed, the art of verbal seduction when practiced by an accomplished performer is very seducing!

Your friend and fellow accomplice in the fine art of thinking outside of the box,
        Stan

It is good that the police chief was recognized for NOT being part of a cover-up. Such resistance is meaningful. I wish we had more of it.

Oh wow, thanks for clearing that up for me.
        Outrageous. Also in a weird way still encouraging, that SOME police chief had his head on right.

He was a captain of the Hollywood precinct, I think, and not the main LAPD police chief. He seemed genuinely interested in how to respond appropriately to the mentally ill homeless and mentioned that they have some special police liasions for that.

I’ve heard now that there were no arrests despite all the baiting and taunting of Anonymous and the anarchists last night, so LAPD did a good job of keeping a lid on it. I think the captain genuinely wants to usher in a new day for police-citizen relations. There are plenty of cops upset with the actions of those who use unnecessary violence.