Open Thread

Monday, February 3, 2014

Good afternoon:

Day 1 of jury selection in Michael Dunn case ended today with 36 people excused for cause with 46 reporting back tomorrow at 1 pm and 30 new people will be brought in at 8:30 am to fill out a questionnaire and be individually questioned by counsel and the court.

The public and the media have been prohibited from being in the courtroom until after jury selection is concluded and counsel are ready to make their opening statements.

The reporters have been placed in a separate room with audio of the hearing piped in. The audio did not work very well. At times counsel’s questions could not be heard and at other times juror responses were inaudible.

All in all, this was exactly the wrong way to dispel suspicions that the outcome of this trial is rigged.

After the dreadful result in Trayvon’s case that was due in no small part to screwed up jury selection by the prosecution regarding B37, I expected Angela Corey would insist on openness to defend her reputation and the reputation of her office.

For those who are inclined to believe that the fix in, you probably do not need any additional evidence.

Nevertheless, there is additional evidence. I refer to Dunn’s jailhouse phone calls.

Corey has effectively buried them for the time being, despite an order from the Court of Appeals to disclose them.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is our 874th post. Please make a donation. We need money to keep going.

Fred

25 Responses to Open Thread

Interesting anonymous blog post – an open letter to Christi O’Connor about Fogen:

2. Boyd says:

They never once called Police. 8-9 shots into the car and not one phone call to Police… I’m a juroir It would take me 1 minute to find guilty.

• racerrodig says:

Same here. The cops went down the road of “..but you got out of your car and according to you, you were scared shitless, and still went right into the potential shotgun blast”

They had a lethal stick…..I thought they did…..did you look for the stick ??

Not 1 call and I’m sure he shit a brick when he found out someone got his tag #.

In the 1st interview he goes on “……I’m telling you I was scared for my like like I was never scared before and now you’re treating this like a murder….”

He’s playing games at being stupid but he’s really bad at it I must say.

3. Boyd says:

Has anyone been following Amanda Knox’s case. I found the statements form the Italian roommates telling.

Have not followed — can’t really remember it. An American in Italy killed someone or didn’t kill someone?

Boyd, where do you find the statements from the Italian roommates? Wasn’t the victim a roommate of Knox herself?

I’ve followed the case marginally. There seems to be ample evidence that the person who killed Amanda’s roommate is a man already charged with a crime and already in jail. The case was plagued by poor police investigation, a toxic prosecution, media obsession with Amanda, etc. May the force be with her and may the real truth be discovered..

The reason the press and public are totally excluded is so they can seat an all-white jury. Remember, Dunn ORDERED an all-white jury so he’s sure to get one. He said, from jail, that if there was EVEN ONE BLACK on the jury it would not be fair.

Corey and his lawyer are serving him like he was a guest in a diner. They’re giving him what he ordered. They have to hide that, of course, because it’s an abomination.

5. Boyd says:

Why did B-37 get on that Jury? That’s why it’s closed. They were exposed to be incompetent seating a jury and that can’t happen again. The message:We’re in charge not you.
    I worked at a place where management was so bad, we used to joke about putting listening devices in the meeting room to hear what those idiots were planning.

After a while, you don’t need a listening device to find out what they’re planning. As LLMPapa says, they’re planning another

A*B*O*M*I*N*A*T*I*O*N

6. Lynn says:

Maybe I’m behind in finding evidence to read or watch and this has been posted, but it gaves me hours of interest last night.
    Scroll to the end and there are links to Dunn’s police interview after his arrest the following morning and also his girlfriend’s interview a few days later. Each is almost an hour.
    His story starts out downright comical with he thought they were singing. Then he opens up a can of worms with the fact that Jordon opened the door to come after him. He only had 2 drinks and they left before the cake cutting because their new puppy was alone in the hotel. Can’t make this stuff up.
    Girlfriend shares all the dirt he was trying to hide. Yeah, he had 2, 3, 4…no more than 4 drinks. Ya know, he’s a great guy. Very entertaining.
    All said, I loved the police interviewing Dunn. They called BS on every angle of his story. Said not one person mentioned the getting out of the SUV story. Rubbed it in Dunn’s face how they had “independent witnesses” and not a soul said a word about a door opening up.
    Sounded like they had already interviewed all eye/earwitnesses and performed all searches of the area and were willing to stand on their work. (Unlike in the GZ case where no one talked to anyone and police work was shoddy at best.) It seems as though the list of witnesses. IF Corey calls any of them, will not be the circus act that was at GZ’s trial. IDK, maybe Dunn has an uncle or so who is a Wackenhut employee or aunt who works at the courthouse that can make an appeal for his great personality and all will be forgiven if they repeat it a million times. lol That worked for GZ.

• MDH says:

This might make a difference.

LE appears adversarial to Dunne, rather than the cordial treatment given to George “the good guy” Zimmerman.

A theme that seems to go through all these trials is that whatever LE wants, they get.

LE was clearly pissed that outsiders found fault in their not charging George.

Kelly Thomas was one of their victims.

For the sake of this trial, MDH, I sure hope you’re right. Because if Corey wants to throw the trial but LE does NOT, maybe the charges will stand a chance. With LE, and Corey, and the defense ALL wanting a murderer to walk (waltz, skate, skip, hop, slither), justice was not even within the range of accidental possibility.

Speaking of Kelly Thomas, there’s a protest in Los Angeles – downtown Hollywood – at Hollywood & Vine – beginning at 4 PM PST on Saturday, February 8. There will likely be many livestreams running online if you’re not in the area and curious to see how it’s going. The event is called 5,000 Angelenos for Kelly.

There’s also a new bill in Cali introduced by a congressman calling for a bill of rights for the homeless.

7. LLMPapa says:

Greetings All!

It’s been quite a while since I did a video, but with all of GZ’s recent Scripture postings on his Twitter acct, I thought he might be well served to consider the words from the Book of Proverbs, Chapter 6, Verses 16-19.

Hmm, this doesn’t make me assume that anything is wrong. I’ll assume, until if and when this trial goes bad, that judge and prosecution are trying to circumvent sunshine to avoid some of the pitfalls of the Fogen jury selection and trial.

I’m basing that opinion that life is now topsy-turvy and nothing is as it seems.

It’s unfortunate that the sound didn’t work though. Perhaps that’s just an accident that will be corrected tomorrow.

I’m surprised by how fast jury selection is moving. Hope that’s a plus and not a negative.

But you could be right, professor. I will eat my hat or pencil or something for you if I’m wrong.