Open Thread Super Bowl Sunday

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Good afternoon:

I am not feeling well today, so I am going to rest up. for the trial.

Meanwhile, Seattle is my team.

Go Seahawks!

Asian alone, percent, 2012 (a) 4.4%
    Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent, 2012 (a) 0.1%
    Two or More Races, percent, 2012 2.6% 1
    Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2012 (b) 8.1%
    White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, percent, 2012 55.9%

This paragraph from Frederick Douglass:

Go search where you will, roam through all the monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South America, search out every abuse and when you have found the last, lay your facts by the side of the everyday practices of this nation, and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival.

Frederick Douglass – July 4, 1852

And after slavery was “over,” dealing with the inevitable systemic illnesses for which it was the sole and obvious etiology (racism and murderous rage among the whites who could not man up and deal with the pressing need to create a decent society, destruction to the culture and family life of a huge number of people who had been mercilessly uprooted and ruthlessly victimized, untenable expectations on everyone’s part about how to recover from a three-century atrocity, etc.), we stand here demonstrating our shameless hypocrisy with the “show trial” thanks to the corruption of our entire legal system. How disgusting, how utterly disgusting; I am drunk with disgust!

3. I’m still attempting to find out if we are going to have live stream coverage of the Dunn trial.

Since the media and the public are excluded from jury selection, we won’t get to see that.

Thnks for checking this out.

Excluding the public from the jury selection is a very bad omen; it means Corey wants to hide what they’re doing. Which means we KNOW what she’s doing. Again.

Basically our society is permissive and punitive. Permissive to the powerful and punitive to the powerless. This includes racist Permissive/Punitive coefficients, gender Permissive/Punitive coefficients, Classist Permissive/Punitive coefficients, economic Permissive/Punitive coefficients, and all the others.

• roderick2012 says:

IIRC, Jordan’s mom stated that she didn’t want him to become another Trayvon Martin. I believe she meant that she didn’t want Jordan’s death to become politicized.

Unfortunately she doesn’t understand that all black males are potential (especially in Florida) Trayvon Martins.

It looks as if the verdict will repeat itself.

• Lyn says:

DOJ stats show that 93% of black males are killed by other black males, this seems to be a sad fact of life. How do we change it?

• a2nite says:

Most crime & killing is between people of the same race. Lots of white on white killings including these mass murders in public spaces.

The narrative has to reinforce white supremacy that POC are more dangerous, criminal, violent than white people. Since the evil racist criminal injustice system is fixed to make sure that black victims & black defenders are not represented.
          The language about black crime that you use is framed in an anti-black bigotted manner. It must be ok for eh

• a2nite says:

For example, it must be ok for white men to kill us because we’re such animals that we kill each other. I could make that argument about white people because white American culture created slavery & enabled the extermination of the native peoples.
            White people ain’t any more civilized than us; y’all just run things, badly.
            The racial divide has grown fostered by over arching white privilege.

• dianetrotter says:

Lyn, I start by talking to high school students about being “baby daddy” and “baby momma.” I tell kids to look at their friends who are in foster care, homeless, etc. Responsible parenting begins with not having kids until you can afford them. One of my students told me his family lived in a park for the first 6 years of his life. He is 14. I mentioned that going to parties can be dangerous because of random shootings. He then showed me a scar on his leg. He was shot in the leg at a Christmas party. He is Hispanic.

4. Rachael says:

YAY SEAHAWKS!!! ❀

5. Lyn says:

I was for the Hawks. They, like my beloved skins are in the National Football Conference. As in baseball, in the end we are AL people. I wore neon green, blue gray sweater, white shirt and gray sweats for the team.
    So true Betty, what a start with the two points for the Hawks. 5-0 in the first few minutes. Who would have thought. Wilson was fantastic.

While Manning has completed a Super Bowl-record 33 passes, he’s also had two interceptions and his Broncos trail 43-8 in the fourth quarter. Richard Sherman has received an ankle injury in 4th Q; won’t return to play.

“Super Bowl XLVIII has gotten off to one of the craziest starts in NFL history. Not only was the coin toss a disaster, but Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning didn’t even get a chance to run a play on the first drive of the game. After the opening kickoff was only returned to the 14-yard line, the Broncos made a critical mistake. Broncos center Manny Ramirez’s first snap went over the head” of Manning and resulted in a touchback (?) for 2 points for Seattle. Seattle has since scored 3 touchdowns. Denver seems to still be trying to figure out what game they’re playing. Malisha, any ideas for them?

The 2 points was for a safety, not a touchback, which makes me wonder if they are just different names for the same thing or, if different, what’s the difference?

• roderick2012 says:

LOL.

It was a safety because the Broncos recovered the ball in their own end zone.

If one of the Seahawks had recovered the ball in the Broncos’ end zone it would have been a touchdown.

• roderick2012 says:

I mistook ‘touchback’ for ‘touchdown’.

A touchback occurs on a kickoff when the ball is either caught by a member of the receiving team in the end zone or is allowed to exit the end zone by the receiving team.

I wish every African American in central Florida asked for a restraining order against Fogen and Dunn. After all, they all have good cause to fear violence from these two. And Dunn put it in writing that more people need to be killing these people with a bad “culture.” To reform them, remember?

• dianetrotter says:

Malisha, I just received a video on Facebook that had to be created by a racist. If I’m breaking a rule of the blog or internet, let me know. My students are looking at this and saying it is funny.

Didn’t care one way or the other until the Shepard after-game interview became more important than his play. Go Seahawks.

10. Brandy says:

Hi Professor, sorry your not feeling well. Hope you feel better real soon πŸ™‚ I am a die hard 49er fan. Have been since the the good ole days of Montana and Rice. I live in Norhtern Calif. I am not a Denver Fan but will root for them to beat Seattle! Although I want Bronco’s to win, I predict that Seahawks will win. Either way, looking forward to a good game! πŸ™‚ Feel better πŸ™‚

Feel better soon, Professor.

I’ll root for Seattle. BTW, what game do they play? πŸ˜†