Jury selection critically important in Dunn case

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Good afternoon:

The Michael Dunn trial starts Monday with jury selection, which will probably play the most significant role in determining the outcome of the trial.

In order to convict Dunn, the prosecution must avoid making the mistakes that it made during jury selection in the George Zimmerman trial.

That means stop preaching to the prospective jurors. Question them instead. Ask “Why?”

Let them talk and reveal themselves.

Be on the lookout for stealth jurors. Right-wing-gun-nut racists who believe that people like Dunn and Zimmerman are great American heroes who should be rewarded for killing black teenagers.

Most prosecutors are lousy at jury selection. Bernie de la Rionda conducted a clinic on how not to do it. Angela Corey should watch a recording of what he did. His failure to ask B-37 why she used the word “riots” to describe peaceful demonstrations and his failure to challenge her for cause or to use a peremptory challenge to get rid of her may have had more to do with the outcome of the trial than anything else.

She must avoid making his mistakes.

Unless, of course, she really wants to lose the case.

27 Responses to Jury selection critically important in Dunn case

1. renahv says:

Yes, Diane, thanks for the reminder!

2. dianetrotter says:

Hey Guys! Let’s get our donations in. We will want the daily details on this.

3. MDH says:

Let’s turn it around.

Assume for arguments sake, that Richard Sherman got in an argument in a 7-11 parking lot with a car load of white teens who were taunting him about being a thug based on the stupidity that seems to be a base requirement to be in our media.

The arguments gets heated and, in a fit of fear, based on Sherman claiming that he saw the barrel of a gun, Sherman pulls out a gun and fill the retreating car full of holes wherein one of the teens is killed.

Would Sherman get the same benefit of the doubt as Dunne?

I mean Sherman graduated from Stanford with very high grades and, base on interviews, seems to be far more intelligent and articulate than Dunne.

Answer: Hell no. The media would be calling for the head of this privileged thug.

Would a large segment of the population feel that the murder was premeditated, thus warranting the maximum penalty?

I mean he did have to consciously decide to go into a glove box and get a gun, did he not?

Answer: Hell yes. The media would find the claim of being afraid of a group of unarmed teens totally preposterous and a clear lie, given the fact that the shooter knew he had a gun.

Note that money, education and high social standing would not save Sherman.

So why may {that “may” having a high probability} Dunne’s position is society save him?

It was not that long ago that a white man, in Boston, killed his wife and claimed a black man did it. The Boston PD was able to find a black man to “solve” the murder. If not for the honesty of one of the relatives of this white man, that black man would be in prison today.

This is the essence of white privilege.

White is assumed innocent, honest and factual. So any act, view, or fact reported by a white must be taken as true unless it can be disproven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Black is assumed guilty, dishonest, and unreliable. So any act, view or fact reported by a black is assumed not true, unless proven beyond a reasonable doubt by a white.

How is that any different from the days or slavery.

From my reading, a black slave could be punished by a white, unless the slave owner spoke on behalf of his property.

As far as I am concerned, the same repugnant mentality was applied by the whitestream media to the Zimmerman trial.

The racists can be ignored for they are not worthy of anything.

What galled me is the attitude of many white progressives. And many took Zimmerman’s side under the guise of “benefit of the doubt”. It seemed to me that they were really thinking this:

“Gee, if only a white expert had spoke up for TM”

They need to pull their head out of their ass and realize that this attitude, if not debased, debunked and abandoned, will lead our nation to ruin.

We’re there (ruin) already, in my opinion. The evidence:

Fogen’s “trial.”

You can’t get more ruined than that. And the feds standing around with their thumbs up their asses doing NOTHING. We’re ruined.

4. fauxmccoy says:

also — to keep in mind for this case, is that the prosecution did not charge the crime as a capital offense. we’re getting another (highly flawed in my mind) 6 person jury. i’m wondering if this has been set up to lose from the very beginning, based on the charging document.

Oh, I thought he was charged with capital murder. Wow, bummer. I guess any white man who’s angry is automatically thought to be quite inadvertent in terms of whom he kills. Strange how anger makes a man innocent while it makes a woman guilty. Int?

• fauxmccoy says:

malisha — this is something i have not understood from the very beginning (well i do understand actually, it’s just so ugly i cannot bear it).

this man who CLEARLY was in no danger killed another human being, an unarmed kid and attempted to kill three others. if convicted (and i’m not holding my breath) the maximum sentence will be LWOP. now, i strongly oppose the death penalty, i would be a hypocrite if i were to say that would be my choice upon conviction.

what i do object to is that the maximum penalty was not sought (as it would if dunn were not a relatively well off white guy) but worst of all to me is the travesty of the 6 member jury. i wrote at length during zimwad’s trial how easy it is to stack a 6 person jury and eliminate all diversity, even in a racially diverse populations.

• Lyn says:

I agree about a jury of 6. In a case of “murder”, for justice sake the jury should be 12.

• fauxmccoy says:

thanks lyn — it is something i am passionate about. when you consider the disparity of conviction rates of white folks vs. those with skin pigment, then realize that convicted felons, even upon release, can neither vote nor serve on juries, the jury pool is already potentially biased. then add local politics and it just gets worse.

Damn right.

Since the jury for any white gunslinger who murders a Black kid will be sequestered and secret, they can go ahead and recycle the Fogenites and just tell each of them to bring a date. And this time “Maddie” should lie a bit more than last time and not mention her 8 neglected children.

6. colin black says:

Fact all white Jury of any sex or mixture Dunn WALKS FREE.

Mixed Jury with minority of whites he gets Convicted.

Mixed jury majority white a miss trial due to hung jury.

So Fred Is so hitting the nail on the head.

Jury selection along with jurys demographic Is Indeed where this case will .

BE WON OR LOST.

• lurker says:

Colin, I think that one thing that the prosecution could learn from O’Mara is that he had his little team of interns combing the ‘net on each and every juror as soon as they had a name for them. Where this was useful to them was in excluding black jurors. Bernie tried to challenge O’Mara’s move to exclude individual black jurors–based on a pattern of excluding black jurors. However, for each and every one, O’Mara had at the ready a non-race based reason to exclude each and every one, based largely on opinions posted to Facebook and the like. Then O’Mara played tit for tat claiming that De la Rionda had a pattern of challenging white jurors–which in fact he did. However he had little to back up each of these. End result, a jury of white women with one Hispanic woman.

7. colin black says:

sorry abooot above away above an beyond off topic only meant tp post this

their face!

ccossie possie
    February 1, 2014 – 8:20 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

In the red corner pittbull on a chain Cinnnnndddy Bloodmoney Anthomoney

In the blue corner Zin it for ze money rotten wailller Zim zam I will knock out your gran mom. Georgie Podgie the shimmy shami whom kills children from Miami the Fat destroyer .

Ding Ding …

Cindy marches straight to the centre of the ring she doesn’t appear to have boxing glves on.

Georgie porgie circles warily .

He Is taunting her…You got a problem homie.?

He feins a left ….Cind retrieves a hammer from her back pocket an proceeds to plant it claw side first between Georges eyes .

He Is down .

ECT

Cindy is dragged away screaming you dint tell me he was going to come to be a Hissspanic?

You know I cant stand them people.

I got him good though I thought this was celebrity boxing who the hell was that fat Mexican I thought I was fighting Bob Dylan?.I had no clue who that was I thought it was a crazed fan.

I was only standing my round?

8. colin black says:

O T
    Sorrry

But how bout this scenario for foggages celb boxing matchup bout

Short URL: http://www.cayleedaily.com/?p=34092

8 Comments for
    “George Zimmerman to fight in boxing match for charity”

AugustWA
    January 31, 2014 – 8:18 pm

First? Bet there is a line up of people wanting to box this guy

AugustWA
    January 31, 2014 – 8:19 pm

He’s not a “celebrity” he’s famous for killing a teenager…smh I’m surprised the Anthonys haven’t jumped on this bandwagon and offered to box someone

ღSalღ
    January 31, 2014 – 8:27 pm

Wasn’t kc offered sch a deal, too? Box your sox off!

Diane
    January 31, 2014 – 8:27 pm

According to the article 8,000 are wanting to fight him……(I see only part of the proceeds will go to charity) Sounds like the Ants charitably organization. 10 percent to charity 90 percent in pocket!!!!

2loyalty
    January 31, 2014 – 11:50 pm

I don’t consider boxing as a “sport”, per se. But hope this is a KO.

2loyalty
    February 1, 2014 – 12:14 am

It disturbs me that ANYONE can profit over the death of someone for whom they have been charged or suspected ending a life.

You would think they would all just “go away and stay away” and thank “their lucky stars” they got off so easy. GZ is another blatant example,

Casey Anthony…we’ll just have to wait until the civil suits are settled. I’m sure her lawyers are standing in line like peckers at this point. And of course the media will pounce on any story. It’s all rather sick news, not that I won’t stick it out to see KC lose in court.

mattiemay
    February 1, 2014 – 11:13 am

Yes, 2loyalty—-these killers get a taste of being in the news and crave more of it and the shameful media, eager for money—-offer these low life people something—in the name of the all mighty buck……the criminal jumps on board for more headlines and seeing their pictures in the news; holding out their blood stained greedy hands for money.
    It is wrong and shameful on every level.

LC
    February 1, 2014 – 6:33 pm

I would gladly deposit a hundred bucks a punch right into $indy or KC’s pocket for the pleasure of knocking a couple of teeth out – or the smirk off their face!

ccossie possie
    February 1, 2014 – 8:20 pm

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

In the red corner pittbull on a chain Cinnnnndddy Bloodmoney Anthomoney

Ding Ding …

Georgie porgie circles warily .

He Is taunting her…You got a problem homie.?

He Is down .

ECT

You know I cant stand them people.

I was only standing my round?

9. Kelly Payne says:

The prosecution was not interested in a conviction.If they had been they wouldn’t have let certain things go with out cross examination. they purposely. trashed there own case despite the fact they knew his story was a lie and i also believe they knew certain witnesses were perjuring themselves. THEY HEARD TRAYVON SCREAMS AND THEY KNEW DAMNED WELL IT WASN’T ZIMMERMAN. They had the DNA they had the ballistics they had the autopsy report. and the had his lack of injuries.They had his statements they had his reenactments they had his NEN call. They had the size and weight difference between Trayvon and Zimmerman. They knew Trayvon ran away and tried to avoid contact with Zimmerman.A conviction should have been in the bag had they and the judge did their jobs.

10. MDH says:

I getting very tired of those three stooges. Time for a little escapism.

I say Dunne { I like the way you die, boy} is number 1, Zimmerman {help, I can’t get the gun out of my pants fast enough} is number 2, and Taffe is number 3 in the kill sequence of this fine clip form Django Unchained.

11. Lyn says:

I said from the get go that Bernie was a bad lawyer, what with the arm flapping, jumping around and poor questioning technique.

12. racerrodig says:

I say “Game on” at this point. I have a friend, ex – NFL player and we want to do a tag team match with Fogen and his choice of Frank “The Racist Tank” Taaffe, “Robbie the Racist”, Moron “O Mara, or “The Ice Cream Man”

Look at the name possibilities. That alone gets our favorite charity some $$$ along with the Trayvon Martin Foundation.

Then we’ll take on Dunn and any racist clown he wants. Hell……Fogen & Dunn vs. Big Al & racerrodig…….I’d bet my 15 year old son could join in so Fogen can imagine his “unborn, but well loved kids” can be involved and against him.

“And in this corner…..representing all that is wrong with America today……FoooooooooogeeeennnnnPhoooooooolllleee and his partner for this match, the one and only Frank “The Racissstttt Tank” Taaaaaaafffffeeeeee……”

“…..okay boys…you know the rules…..no calls to the cops…..is that a pistol in your shorts Fogen……I’ll take that…….okay, no race baiting, Taffee, no calling your opponents drug dealers, is that a hip flask ?? hand it over. Now, back to your corners and let the ass whooping in the name of Justice begin”

“This is a Justice Match Ladies and Gentleman…..Fogen…..Fogen..
    ……FOGEN……Ladies and Gentleman, it looks like Fogen has decided to hide behind Moron O’ Mara and he forfeits the match.”

As far as Corey…….?????????? WTF is it with the water in FL. How on God’s Green Earth does she screw this up again. All this talk and yet we see blatant incompetence or racism / political agenda at work.

Maybe when Fogen was calling her office back in April 2012 and I joked he was asking her to dinner……..I was right.

Has anyone checked to see if Dunn’s been calling her direct ??

13. They have already picked the fighter/actor for this bogus fight.
    Does anyone really believe Trayvons murderer would put himself in danger fighting anyone ?
    Anyone who pays to see this nonsense is just putting money in the murderers pocket ! gz is counting on people being stupid.

14. lady2soothe says:

OT

The Game Would Like To ‘Beat The F**k Out Of’ George Zimmerman In A Celebrity Boxing Match

• fauxmccoy says:

my pick would be laila ali 🙂 a professional woman boxer who could wipe the floor with his sorry behind. especially ironic considering george only likes to whack on kids and women. yup, i might almost pay money to see a black woman get the job done.