Jury to resume deliberations Monday in Kelly-Thomas-beating case

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Good afternoon:

The Kelly Thomas case was submitted to the jury late Thursday morning after five weeks of trial and 3 1/2 days of final arguments. The jury deliberated Thursday afternoon without reaching a verdict.

The jury was excused until Monday morning when it will resume deliberations.

This is Part 1 of prosecutor Tony Rackauckas’s rebuttal argument (51:46):

Here’s Part 2 (9:17)

Here’s the 33 minute video of the beating:

Meanwhile, check out the Hand of God.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is our 848th post in 26 months.

We received only two donations yesterday for which we are very grateful, but we had 666 visitors to the site and 1,358 page views. As I said yesterday, I realize it’s easy to assume others will step in and contribute, but that type of thinking doesn’t work when everyone does it.

We’ve averaged less than 1 donation per day during the past week despite hundreds of visitors per day and thousands of page views. We’re not trying to get rich here, but this just isn’t working out for us.

Fred

17 Responses to Jury to resume deliberations Monday in Kelly-Thomas-beating case

1. MDH says:

I am stunned.

Basically, we have a bunch of sheeple in the USA who feel that police officers are some sort of special human beings who have a license to kill those who are deemed outside whatever they decide are “good people”.

From now on, I will no longer be nice and polite to people who fawn over police.

They can take their “law and order” BS and shove it up their ass.

This is a result of the sense of entitlement that verdicts like the above enable:

When the police break the law, then there is no law. Just a struggle to survive.

– Billy Jack

I am speechless and disgusted. THe justice system failed Kelly Thomas and the citizens of Orange County, Cali. I can only hope there is a DOJ suit.

Justice for Kelly Thomas protest starting now @ Fullerton Police Department 237 West Commonwealth Avenue:

Off I go.

• a2nite says:

No, the evil rich people in OC were served.

Hope his family bankrupts the county with a big fat lawsuit.

3. a2nite says:

FYI the evil police get away with murder again. FUCK the evil police. If you’re white you are not safe from them.

Welcome to being a POC in America.

4. Pat deadder says:

Bettykath I agree I don’t understand. the whole thing could have been resolved so easily from the beginning.those officers appear to be the mentally ill people. I have a feeling the jury will convict each defendant of the lesser charges but I so hope I’m wrong. Professor contributing to your pay today for your work.thank you

Kelly Thomas appeared to be far saner than those two POS officers. It’s a dark day in the big OC. I can only hope that the people of Fullerton as well as every other community in this county hit the streets in protest.

I have some questions about why he was detained in the first place. Was he required to give his name? It seems that they had no reason to charge him with anything until after they looked in his backpack to find his name, then it was possession of stolen property but why did they think it was stolen property? Since he wasn’t under arrest couldn’t he have just walked away? Not a good idea considering these guys were thugs, but still, did he have the right to leave?

6. Your coverage has been great Professor. A conviction here is the best outcome to a sad story with no happy ending, either way.

• Thanks. You’re right. There will be no happy ending in this tragic case. I can’t imagine why these cops did that to Kelly.

And they did it with a camera recording what they did with their body mikes turned on recording everything they said.

Seemingly without a care in the world.

To them, Kelly wasn’t even a human being.

• Some involved in LE in Orange County and Los Angeles County have long thought they’re above the law. These two displayed incredible arrogance as well as enjoying torturing a mentally ill person.

BUT if they had done that to an animal, they would have had hell to pay immediately and faced worldwide condemnation and immediate punishment, harsh and swift. Big powerful organizations defend animals against that kind of abuse.

My fingers are crossed for a solid conviction as charged. The two former officers have already been given a break with the charges, which should have been M1 from what I see on the video . . .