Thursday, December 12, 2013

Good afternoon:

We have important news out of Jacksonville. Judge Russell Healey has scheduled February 3, 2014 to begin selecting a jury in the Michael Dunn case.

Jordan Davis’s father will be permitted to sit in the courtroom during the trial, even though he is going to be a witness.

The Florida Times Union at Jacksonville.com explains,

Under what is called the “rule of sequestration” most people testifying in a criminal trial are not allowed to be in the courtroom except when they testify, and are prohibited from discussing their testimony with other witnesses in the case. This is primarily done to keep someone from watching another witnesses’ testimony and then changing their own story so it corresponds with what another witness says.

But Ron Davis was not at the scene of the crime, and State Attorney Angela Corey, who is personally prosecuting this case, argued that he should be allowed in the courtroom because his testimony would not be impacted by what other witnesses say.

The mother of one of the three teenagers who were in the vehicle with Jordan when Dunn shot him to death also will be permitted to sit in court and watch the proceedings even though she also has been subpoenaed.

The three teenagers will be excluded from the courtroom until excused from further testimony by the judge.

The defense objected to the parents being permitted to watch the proceedings, but the judge overruled the defense objection.

Dunn’s attorney Cory Strolla argued that Ron Davis and the mother of the other teenager should be barred from the courtroom because having them in court allows the duo to create an emotional bond with the jury.

The jury will be looking at the parents for two whole weeks during the trial, and will give added credibility to them when they testify, Strolla said.

But Healey dismissed that argument, saying that the jury wouldn’t even know who the parents are until they testify. Corey also told Healey she would not use the parents testimony to manipulate the jurors emotions.

The defense also requested that the jury be transported to the scene of the shooting for a jury view, but Judge Healey denied the motion because the conditions in effect at the time of the shooting could not be replicated and it would be difficult to conceal their identities.

Judge Healey also granted a defense motion to prohibit people from wearing any clothing or jewelry that expresses an opinion about the case.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We depend on reader support and we desperately need your help now.

I hate to beg but have no choice. We cannot pay our rent and are on the verge of being homeless and losing this website.

This is our 793rd post in two years. Think about how much time and effort that involves.

Writing articles and maintaining this site requires many hours of work every day. If you value the unique mix of news and commentary you find here, please make a donation.

Click the yellow donation button in the upper right hand corner of this page. You can choose to make a single donation via Paypal or a recurring monthly payment.

We really are on the edge of losing this site. Please keep the donations coming or we won’t be around to cover the trial.

The situation really is that serious.

Fred

30 Responses to Michael Dunn’s trial for killing Jordan Davis begins with jury selection February 3rd

1. Patricia says:

Good evening professor and crane! Just donated to your cause,hope you continue to get more donations thru the holiday’s.
    I’m a constant follower.

2. roderick2012 says:

Can someone explain to me why we have witness sequestration in this media/internet age?

More than likely the HLN and the local stations will cover the trial live and those three teenagers will more than likely be watching so why file the motion since it’s effect will be moot in the end.

3. crazy1946 says:

Professor, thank you for this update…. This is an important trial, and needs to be followed closely…

• Yes, indeed it does. Angela Corey will be trying it for the State of Florida and she better not screw it up like the Zimmerman trial team did.

• crazy1946 says:

Professor, I have absolutely no faith in the justice system in Florida, and even less faith in Mz. Corey… If anyone can lose this case she can do it… IMO, she walks and breaths the air of racism and he actions or lack of actions in Trayvon’s case speaks loudly!!

• I don’t have any faith in them either, but I will watch and comment.

• crazy1946 says:

Professor, What did you find out about getting your motorcycle running?

• I got it to start, but the engine stopped as soon as I put it in gear. I finally gave up. They towed and fixed it. Going to cost me $80.

• It’s running sweet. Picked it up today. They bypassed the safety switch. Made me sign a liability waiver in case I do something stupid like drive off with the kickstand down and hurt my sorry ass.

Heh.

• crazy1946 says:

Professor, Then my guess was right, I wish that you had been close enough to me that I could have fixed it for you… but it’s good that you got it fixed, and again have wheels under you, that is if it ever thaws out…

• Your guess was right and I tried to do what you suggested, but obviously I screwed up.

Thanks for trying to help this old dog learn a new trick.

• crazy1946 says:

Professor, I learned a long time ago, that if we as friends (even online) need to help each other or life is not worth living… Too many people today only think of their own needs while ignoring those around them that need help worse than they do… I’m just happy your bike is running, but wish it had not cost money to get it running… Y’all have a good evening and try to stay warm and dry, take care of each other and things will get better in due time…

• roderick2012 says:

i’m still curious as to why Corey decided to replace John Guy as State’s lead prosecutor in this case.

Is she trying to redeem her reputation after she oversaw that sham of a trial or has she been assigned to throw this case too?

• I think we’re going to have to wait and see what she does before we know the answer to your question.

• roderick2012 says:

Is there a way to donate cash or check?

I only trust to have my credit card linked to PayPal.

• Everyone pays via paypal and no one has reported any problems.

• roderick2012 says:

No I don’t want to charge it to my credit card.

• roderick2012 says:

Wow, that was kinda rude.

I guess I won’t be making a donation for Christmas after all.

Merry Christmas!!

• Rude?

Sorry that I offended you, although I can’t imagine why you thought I was rude when I was just trying to help you.

Why do you think I was rude?

I really do not understand your reaction.

Fred

• roderick2012 says:

I’ve already donated to you before so I understand the process.

I just don’t want to charge anything else to my credit card at the moment.

I understand if you don’t want to give your address or other personal information.

Maybe you should just turn the blog into a pay-for site.

I wouldn’t mind paying $20/month for access.

• Thanks, Roderick.

I understand where you’re coming from.

I may have to do something like that. I know I hate to beg and I hate advertising. I don’t expect to get rich doing this, but I don’t want to work for free either. Lately, it’s been difficult to justify the time and effort we put into the blog.

After awhile I feel like I’m a prisoner of the blog.

• You pay paypal with your card and they pay me, minus a transaction fee that they keep.

In other words, the money runs through them rather than between you and me.

• crazy1946 says:

roderick2012, Did you know you can use your checking account for a payment via pay pal? I have mine linked to my checking with a back up to a credit card…. So you don’t have to use just a credit card to donate… I hope this information helps?

• crazy1946 says:

Psst, you can also use a debit card to make a donation, most banks today offer you a debit card linked to your checking account, and there is no charge to you for a donation using a debit card… So you see there are several ways to make a donation via pay pal….

• roderick2012 says:

Yes I know that, but I am NOT going to risk my checking account by linking it to PayPal.

I have a friend who did that and he had several thousand dollars stolen from his account and was never returned.

• crazy1946 says:

roderick2012, Hmmm, well there is one more option that you can use, most banks now will give you at no cost to you a one time use debit card for on line transactions. Perhaps that would work for you?