CNN reports that important video may be missing in Kendrick Johnson case

Friday, November 22, 2013

Good evening:

Food for thought.

Here’s a late report from yesterday evening about the school video in the Kendrick Johnson case.

Victor Blackwell of CNN reports that CNN,

hired forensic video analyst Grant Fredericks to analyze more than 290 hours of material from all 35 cameras inside and outside of the gym. Fredericks is a U.S. Justice Department consultant and contract instructor for the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia.

CNN also provided Fredericks and his company, the Spokane, Washington-based Forensic Video Solutions, with hundreds more hours of video from 31 cameras in other parts of Lowndes County High School.

/snip/

What Fredericks wasn’t able to find was video showing whether there was anyone in the gym when Johnson was there — images that could prove vital in determining how the teen died.

“(The surveillance video has) been altered in a number of ways, primarily in image quality and likely in dropped information, information loss,” he said. “There are also a number of files that are corrupted because they’ve not been processed correctly and they’re not playable. I can’t say why they were done that way, but they were not done correctly, and they were not done thoroughly. So we’re missing information.”

/snip/

Fredericks told CNN he found it “highly suspicious” that an hour of video could be missing, especially considering how the material was acquired by police.

“The investigator’s responsibility is to acquire the entire digital video recording system and have their staff define what they want to obtain,” he said.

58 Responses to CNN reports that important video may be missing in Kendrick Johnson case

1. amanda says:

this article points out discrepancies on the reported time kj was discovered dead

2. amanda says:

wow, wish i found this site in November, I am still obsessed with this case. I never saw any justice with Trayvon so I guess I am really scared about the whole thing. here is a recent story about the Bell brothers from their mom, she confirms the FBI has recently tried to interview her sons again however they have declined once again and frustrated the FBI by retaining an attorney, interesting they still won’t talk, hope the FBI investigation is deeper. The article also says the FBI may have information to believe the girl who “discovered” his body is second block was dating one of the Bell brothers possibly. http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/local/x1782782551/Mom-says-sons-harassed-threatened-in-KJ-case

• MDH says:

What a downright horrible story.

IMO, this is a case of police contempt for the rights of African and Middle Eastern Americans.

Didn’t George think it was cute and funny to mock a Middle Eastern co-worker as “Achmed the Terrorist”?

This kind of behavior is going to blow up in the face of the right wing.

3. Xena says:

If anyone is eventually arrested, is the defense going to challenge the videos analyst as “junk science”? Or, maybe they will require civilian experts to identify that is not Kendrick in the videos. Better yet, they will have defense witnesses sit in the courtroom for 3 days during trial, then subpoena them as witnesses.

• MDH says:

That is one of the great, but largely ignored, travesties of the trial.

In the beginning, the defense was allowed to introduce testimony by an audio expert who gave the following:

A) The scream was unnatural and an indicia of a person who was facing imminent death

B) Only a close family member could possible identify the scream.

So B37 ignores all that and believes Donnelly.

I wonder why?

I have an answer.

Donnelly is a white man and the expert, although for the defense, was an Asian.

One of the pillars of white supremacy is that:

White = legitimate = truthful = smarter

Putting my Spock hat on, I would conclude, based on what that witness stated that was a very strong possibility that the scream was TM.

For how is it logical that a man with control of another persons arm {GZ admitted such} with a gun pointed at another chest be in fear of imminent death?

More of my arguments against those who claim TM supporters are emotional, not logical and not objective.

• Drew says:

It’s so illogical – yet many “liberal” friends of mine (as well as commenters on Daily Kos, Salon, The Atlantic, etc.), chose to play dumb with the idiotic cop out, “we just don’t know what happened there – only GZ and TM do.”

No one who is about to win a “fight” by killing someone is screaming for their life. No one who is seconds from death due to a brutal beating from a savage black teen thug MMA expert would even have the ability to scream in such a way.

It wasn’t the scream of someone about to die from a prolonged beating – I have no firsthand experience, but when you’re about to die from being beaten to death, I assume you aren’t physically able to yell and scream like a maniac.

However if someone is threatening to shoot you with a gun, it seems logical that you might yell and scream quite a bit, at least until you are finally shot.

• MDH says:

It is correct that we don’t know what happened. But, why then, does that give anything GZ states validity, even in the face of facts or rational thought that indicates otherwise.

I get very angry with those so called liberals and state firmly that the evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that GZ is/was a liar.

Subsequent events have solidified that position.

On a broader scale, the so-called liberals letting GZ of of the hook have enabled “bait and kill”.

Accepting their logic can allow me to creep up behind them with my concealed gun, confront them with contempt, slap them {that leaves no marks} and, if they punch me in the nose {I think many would react that way}, proceed to shoot them dead under the guise of self defense.

Besides, the scream is one of many discrepancies in the tale told by GZ. His tale is a chain of remote possibilities, when taken in aggregate, is in the realm of fiction.

• Xena says:

@MDH. I know it was Trayvon screaming in pain and for help, because I hear George’s voice in the background cursing at him. The State heard it too, which is why Bernie said pre-trial that there are two voices on that tape.

The State didn’t bring that out at trial because since Judge Nelson decided the voice experts are “junk science,” O’Mara would have told the jury that George’s voice was actually Trayvon’s voice and there is no expert to say otherwise. The background voice was not brought up at trial.

• Drew says:

There is no other word but stupid for someone who believes that that was GZ screaming.

I would feel comfortable and logically sound using that exact argument to debate someone who still *actually* believes that was GZ (as opposed to someone who is lying in court to save his ass) because at this point there is nothing else that can really be said.

• MDH says:

As I delve more into George and get a better profile, I more strongly believe that there were two voices.

He probably was mocking TM and said:

“You got a problem with me, Homie?”

“Well, you do now”

“You are going to die tonight”

He already has a pattern of being an aggressive, albeit cowardly, asshole who likes to mock his victims.

The testimony of Racheal makes sense.

If a guy that was following me in a car suddenly appeared out of the dark confronting me, my first words would be {rightfully}:

Why are you following me?

A mannerly person, in that they are at that point an aggressor needing to answer a legitimate question, would say who they are and why. Maybe:

My name is George, and am a watchman, whose duty is to check out new faces in the hood.

An ass, on the other hand would say something rude like:

Why are you here?

• Xena says:

@MDH. George was not going to speak maturely and respectfully to Trayvon because he thought Trayvon was suppose to submit to his unauthorized, authority. To say it another way, George didn’t believe that Trayvon had rights.

I would have liked for prosecutors to have asked Jenna and John Good if they heard George say anything — like words, and see the look on their faces as they stumbled for an answer. That’s because I’m sure they heard George cursing at Trayvon. He could not do that and scream for help at the same time.

So, although Judge Nelson did not allow expert voice witnesses, prosecutors could have questioned to lead to the process of elimination; i.e., if George was talking, he wasn’t screaming for help at the same time.

• That’s a good point, but both of them probably would have said, “No.”

Of course, GZ testified that he asked John Good for “help with this guy,” after he shot Trayvon.

I’d like to know why the prosecution didn’t call Jeremy, since he apparently had a conversation with GZ before the shooting.

• Xena says:

@Professor.

This was brought up after trial, and I questioned whether the State did not call Jeremy to testify to reserve his testimony for the feds. You disagreed. That’s okay.

Jeremy had a reason for wanting to get a knife and go back outside. It’s not logical to use a knife to stop a fight between two unknown people, so Jeremy must have wanted to stop a murder based on hearing George said he was going to shoot the kid.

4. Drew says:

Those cops should face 62 separate charges and go to jail for years.

5. Drew says:

Is it possible that the names of the suspects in the Ebony article were made up to protect the identity of minors?

The Prof said it was surprising that the names were published, so maybe they weren’t actually.

• crazy1946 says:

Drew, I think you will find the name in the Ebony article is false! They gave the name of “Martin” in the article, however if you read very carefully in the incident reports you will find the actual name is “Bell”! To verify this name, I went to the football team rooster and checked for both a last name of Martin and Bell, guess what, there is/was a Brian Bell #32 that is on the rooster..
      but no Martin….

• crazy1946 says:

Here is a link to the bell that is found on the foot ball rooster, it’s a video on U-Tube showing him in a wrestling match with an interview…

• Lynn says:

Yes, Martin is the name of their school’s stadium. Pg 51 of the narratives says Bell. Older one is Branden. Play careful attention to his personal statement at the bottom of this.

• crazy1946 says:

Lynn, perhaps we have found the right person or one of the persons that were possibly involved in the murder of Kendrick…
            I was pretty surprised to find the “name” that they forgot to scrub from the report, especially after they had scrubbed all the other places in the report where it had been given. I, next would like to see the photo’s taken at the crime scene to see if either brother or the FBI agent father are on the scene during the investigation. Would you like to bet we will see the father on the scene? This all brings me back to what the Sheriff said about the tapes, something to the effect that neither he nor the sheriffs office edited or changed the video in any way.. You might note, he did not say they were not altered, only that his office did not do it…

Good sleuthing Lynn and crazy.

• crazy1946 says:

Lynn, My I-net access is real slow, especially in the wet weather that I have now. Can you do a web search and try to find the names of the children of Rep Amy Carter of Valdosta Ga? Right now I am looking for the name of her son, but the name of her daughter is important as well. Thanks in advance..

• Lynn says:

There is a Quinton Carter at Lowndes and a Joc Alexander. Those are the only names I have found. I’ll search more tonight.

• crazy1946 says:

Lynn, there is also a “troy Carter” who is 14 years old, that looks to be the right age as the male child I have found on Amy Carters profile in the school site. I’m actually suspecting because of the statement of one of the witnesses that there was an argument between Kendrick and one of the Bell boys over a girl that it is very likely that the daughter of Amy Carter is the girl…. See if you can find any sort of link?
            Note: Amy Carter’s daughter appears to be about 16 which would fit right in with my suspicions, but am I right, probably not, but it bears looking at closely…

• crazy1946 says:

Lynn, I just looked at my post again, I spelled a name this way, “Troy Carter” when it is actually spelled this way “Tory Carter”! Sorry, my eye/brain/finger co- ordination is not working too well today…

• Lynn says:

@crazy I see the Carter daughter on one of her mom’s political sites and on her mom’s facebook. I don’t think she is even in the running. No ill will intended, but the boys are into barbie types. Brian’s girlfriend seems to be Taylor Eakin. Goes by Tay Bay. Narrative mentions “TT”. So I’m not sure about that. There is a friend on her list named Madison Carter, but not the Rep. Carter’s daughter. Sorry I couldn’t find much.

You sleuths are amazing!

• crazy1946 says:

two sides to a story, Lynn, and quite a few others on here are amazing, me, I’m just persistent… We won’t solve this case, but hopefully our efforts will point someone who can in the right direction….. Only time will tell….

Keep it up – persistence is as important as anything else in solving mysteries.

• Rachael says:

Bless you guys. I so much want to see this solved and taken care of and the appropriate heads to roll. This case hurts me to the core, just like Trayvon. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

6. Lynn says:

I find something interesting in reading the police narratives. I’m not sure who wrote what because they seem to be stuck in a different decade as far as reports and logs go. The two pages I am referencing are pg 10 and 12. Two narratives. Go here to read the full copy.

Narrative 1 dated 1/11/13
    Det Jack Priddy met with Sgt Adams and spoke with Staff Sgt Whitener who told him to review the school surveillance.

After several hours, Detective Priddy was able to locate the surveillance video from the old Gym that showed Kendrick enter the Gym but not leave. Detective Attempted to produce a copy of the surveillance, but due to some technical problems he was not able to produce a copy of the surveillance video.

Priddy tells Lt Jones the exact time Kendrick enters the gym and mentions the time stamps are off. Jones sends him to school board IT guy, Scott Forthe, to get 48 hrs of tape. He tells him it will take a few days.

Narrative 2 dated 1/14/13
    Priddy meets with Sgt Adams and tells him he needs a copy of the surveillance video and Adams gives him access to the surveillance system.

Detective Priddy obtained a copy of the surveillance video of the old gym to include the cameras inside the gym, the cameras in the hall way of the gym and the exterior entrance to the gym. The copy of the surveillance video was placed into property evidence.

Do these stories match up?

Priddy spents hours reviewing. Was he alone? Is he an expert with surveillance systems or did he fiddle around and dick up something and claim it was a technical problem? Making copies himself or erasing hours from those 4 cameras? He knew the exact time Kendrick entered the gym. Head scratching at the least.

Also worrysome to me is the evidence log for the surveillance. They only had a handful of items in evidence.
    1-4 are dated 1/13/13 and look typed up. These items were listed as recovered 1/11/13.
    Then we have #5 which is the hard drive of the surveillance. It is handwritten and dated 1/16/13 recovered the same date.
    The next two pages are items 7-8 and dated 1/13/13 recovered 1/11/13.
    Then we have #9 which is 2 dvr’s of surveillance handwritten and dated 1/16/13 recovered with a date that looks like the 16th scratched out to read the 11th.
    We then go to another item 9 and another, third 9, that is Kendrick’s cellphone dated 1/13/13 recovered 1/1/13. the signout signatures are different on the two pages of cellphones. When returned to the father, the cellphone page reads 9 scratched out to say 14a and still signatures are different with added signouts. Confusing doesn’t cover this.
    Then we go back to 10-12 dated 1/13/13 recovered 1/11/13.

Did they just KNOW to leave those numbers in the evidence numbering for items they will get at a later date? Marking the shoes and shirt and folders and blood swabs found on site that day with item numbers and then a random 5 and three number 9s??????
    The link to the evidence logs is in the reply below if you want to see for yourself.

7. crazy1946 says:

This seems to confirm what many of us have suspected, but after the way the media acted after Trayvon Martin was murdered, I have just a little bit of hesitation to accept information from them or any expert witness they might provide with total trust….

8. fauxmccoy says:

good to see someone following up on this. why am i not remotely surprised that school video was altered … hmmmmmmmmm

thanks for the update, fred.

• crazy1946 says:

fauxmccoy, Was thinking of you when I read about the storms that hit your end of the world. Good to see you post, for that means all is ok with you and yours….

• fauxmccoy says:

oh, i am in northern california, crazy. if there were big storms, they escaped my attention … (always a possibility). thank you kindly for your concern though.

• crazy1946 says:

Pardon me while I roll on the floor laughing! You are like me, a storm could hit 2 miles from me and I would not know until someone came by and told me…. Now if it hit my bass boat and I couldn’t go fishing, that I would know about… you know priorities and all that stuff, right? Have a great night…

• fauxmccoy says:

do i need to check my local weather report? is that what you’re telling me??

in this region, we are subject to debilitating drought more than anything. i can tell you horror stories of a family of 5 on a cattle ranch with no running water for 4 months while on a list for the well drillers. (yuck, yuck and yuck). the occasional serious flood and it’s been about 100 years since mt. lassen blew, although it could do so again, i’m sure. otherwise, it’s pretty tame.

• crazy1946 says:

Probably not, I read earlier this evening that high winds had struck in the bay area and trees and power lines were down. If your roof is still on and you don’t feel a draft because your doors and windows are gone, you can guess you survived the storm. πŸ˜‰

• fauxmccoy says:

ahhhh, that is about 200 miles south of me. i am between sacramento and the oregon border, the part of california no one knows about. just the way i like it πŸ˜‰

• crazy1946 says:

Perhaps some of us do, I have a couple of relatives in Susanville (hmmm, did I spell that right?)… Have not seen them in a few years… maybe I should call…

• fauxmccoy says:

that is getting warming πŸ™‚

• crazy1946 says:

it’s time to shut this thing off and do some things that I have been putting off around the house. Have a wonderful evening…

• Fauxie lives in the best part of Cali. I’d like to escape Carmageddon and live up there. Or anywhere sane!

• fauxmccoy says:

i’d welcome you here with open arms, two sides! i’m so glad that this section of the state is relatively unknown πŸ™‚

(this valley is gorgeous all on its own, but i can get to either lovely mountains or beaches within a couple of hours. everything i could possibly want, plus mild winters. some folks do find the mid summer heat overwhelming though.)

• crazy1946 says:

Two sides to a story, I like it in that area as well, as I said I have some relatives near her, and have spent quite a bit of time there and in White City, Or. in a time long ago.. There is a big park west of Susanville that we used to go and camp at, can’t remember the name of it right now, but I used to love the huge trees there. Wow, that sure brings back memories of times long since gone…

• fauxmccoy says:

hmmm …. now i’m going to have to figure out what park that is. i’ve traversed almost every part of this state. my love for it is steinbeckian πŸ™‚ so much so that i got a minor in ‘california studies’.

west of susanville is lake almanor which is gorgeous and the enormous lassen volcanic national park. exquisite beauty all around!

That’s the way to live – mountains and beach and lots of open country and clean air! THanks for the vote of confidence, Fauxie. Right now I have lots of relatives in the southland and things I have to do, but one of these days, I’m outta here. Crazy, I’d run not walk if I had relatives up there! I do have a relative in SE Oregon who loves her area, hmmmmmm.

• crazy1946 says:

fauxmccoy, I can’t remember the name of the park, but I remember we always went thru the park when we went to my great aunts home in Red Bluff…. Too many other things in my limited brain today to expend too many brain cells trying to remember… When you only have five cells left you have to be careful not to over load one of them…

• fauxmccoy says:

that would have to be lassen then … it’s the only thing in between those two spots. lots of campgrounds, hiking, geothermal activity. it’s beautiful. hope you can make it back for a visit ….

red bluff is getting warmer πŸ™‚

• crazy1946 says:

fauxmccoy, Lassen sounds right… Would like to make a trip back there, but it’s a pretty long drive, and if I do it will have to be in the spring… If I do, I’ll take my 5th wheel camper and spend a little time. would even be willing to make you a cup of genuine spoon standing southern coffee… πŸ˜‰

• fauxmccoy says: