Open Thread

Friday, November 15, 2013

Good morning:

Thanks to everyone for your advice and concern.

I am taking Crane to the ER in a few minutes and will update everyone after we return.

Her condition appeared to have stabilized yesterday, but she had a difficult night.

Fortunately, Nikko and I are OK. We have no symptoms.

Fred

51 Responses to Open Thread

1. MDH says:

There are some cool cats in SW. My father was born there. I used to go their to eat at – of all things – a Polish-Mexican eatery during my days at Wayne State. I believe the joint was on Verner Highway.

My philosophy when dealing with racists is simple. I tell them that science shows there are no races, but that I do believe there are two segments of society – dudes or dicks.

A dude is a cool person who accepts himself for what he is and others for what they are.

A dick is an insecure person who must find fault in anyone different from themselves.

Therefore a racist is a dick.

Glad y’all liked Sixto.

I am not big on folk music, but when I saw the movie, I said “damn this man is good”.

Another good one under the radar from Jamaica is John Holt.

I will end this with a great acoustic song by Peter Tosh:

2. ay2z says:

Full movie ‘Searching…’ is available on youtube.

3. ay2z says:

Concert tunes, Searching for Sugarman trailers, and the whole South Africa tour– 52 minutes first up on the playlist.

• ay2z says:

Crane, this ‘Tour…’ has been playing for only 18 minutes and I can safely say it deserves a rating of 5 Feathers.

• ay2z says:

watch this before the movie, good music, and good commentary, puts Sixto Rodriguez, his philosophy and life, in a perspective.

“… I am an everyday person. I am a musician…. I am political in the sense that these issues are not going to disappear unless something is done about them…. accept peace.”

“The biggest room in the world, is the room for improvements.”

“It’s in each of us. We each carry a message… it’s a collective effort…. we have to communicate…. and whatever is wrong with the system, it can be corrected.”

“He has taught me to fight for my rights and to stand up for justice. And no matter WHO violates your civil rights, and … to fight against it.”

4. colin black says:

Remember the huge storm that hit N Y ork an Jersey state.
    A woman was begging for help at a home owners as she an her 2 Children wre caught exposed there car had crashed.

He wouldn’t open his doors to them an both children were swpt away an drowned.

• MDH says:

In a just world, a man like that should be shot for cowardice.

Aren’t right wingers the ones who drive around with a bumper sticker that says “these colors don’t run”?

I think our species is beginning to select for/evolve towards a prototype who is cowardly and very hostile and violent. He also does not want to do anything for himself. I see this as the planet trying to rid itself of a species that messed up so badly many of the others were lost while still in their prime. I don’t think the apocalypse is fire and brimstone and rapture and heaven and like that; I think it’s Judge Debra Nelson and defendant George Zimmerman and the various combinations their genes will engender. I’m glad my line is probably going to be out of it before that B-movie “ending” totally occurs. Somebody call the grammar police, quick.

• MDH says:

In the USA, there seems to be a total disconnect with the cycle of life.

Children are seen as a commodity the sole responsibility of those who bear them rather than the future of humanity.

The wealth that a person extracts from our economic network is seen as a measure of a man rather than what the man contributes to humanity.

A neat movie is Searching for Sugarman.

It is about Sixto Rodriguez, a man who cut a record in Detroit that failed to sell in the USA. IOW, to the right wingers he would be just another loser non-producer, living in run down SW Detroit.

Apparently, his tunes became a lightning rod for the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa.

Like the review says – one of the greatest song writers who never knew it.

• ay2z says:

Love these little gems that come out of the threads, thanks for this one, MDH.

Here’s Sugarman’s official site, worth the visit just to see the 360 view inside the little record store (playing on the front page.

Crane, thinking of you and hope you can get a good diagnosis or luck into a decent physician who can work through that with you.

5. Boyd says:

I just saw video of this guy. He’s like 6-3 210lbs. Please don’t tell me he was in fear of his life.

• MDH says:

That will be the meme used by his defenders in the media. I know that area and, for the City of Detroit border, it is not that dangerous. These days, that section of Outer Drive in Dearborn Heights has a significant number of black families. So it is sad that the young lady chose this idiots home to knock on.

My father’s white friend lived off of Joy Road and Evergreen and would have helped the young lady. He was all of 159 lbs and 85 years old.

My father lived on Bentler by Six Mile and walked to the corner of Lahser and Grand River on a daily basis to try to stay alive till the age of 86. A fall and broken wrist is what deterred him, not any fear of black people out to get him. In fact, black people liked him and told me anyone who touched “pops” would be dead.

Fancy that, if one uses the golden rule and treats black people like human beings rather than the disease that all too many suburban Detroiters consider them, then they might have friends.

The whole suburban denial of their racist paranoia is a primary reason I do not move back to the Motor City.

In Montgomery County, where I now reside, nobody gives what someone looks like a second thought.

• Rachael says:

You know, even if he didn’t help her, I mean after all, it was the middle of the night, that doesn’t make it okay to shoot her!!! I can understand if someone is knocking on your door at 2, 3, 4 in the morning and you are afraid to open it. YOU CALL 911. But you don’t open the door TO shoot!!!

• roderick2012 says:

Since McBride is almost a foot shooter than Wafer it will be interesting to what the trajectory of the gunshot was.

That will tell us how far away she was from him and if he actually took time to aim at her or did he just shoot.

The bullet hole in the screened door will certainly be key also.

Either way I doubt that he will be convicted of anything more than manslaughter and will probably only get a couple of years of probation.

Ugh. David Piercy has started a justice for Rafer site on FB and is now posting as “Stanyerground” (while still calling himself CaptainLongSchlongSilver) over at the annettekblog. http://annettekblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/renisha-mcbride/#comments See the 1:20 AM video post.

While Rafer is definitely not a smirking Z, there are still a lot of questions why he shot McBride when he could have left his locked doors shut and why it took him an hour after the shooting to call police.

• Xena says:

He’s also David the Great, Rusty Shackleford, No-Limit-Cracka and another handle that begins with “king.” He also gives an address on his “Stan Yourground” gravatar. Whomever does live there might not appreciate him stealing their address presenting it as his own.

7. Elizabeth says:

Please Crane get a jar of vitamin C,that is ascorbic acid in it’s pure
    powder state, from the health shop and disolve at least half a teaspoon in any juice or ad sugar and water and or honey.
    Once a day at the minimum.
    Do not stir with a metal spoon.Get well right now!
    Love from Elizabeth

8. dianetrotter says:

I don’t know if you have urgent care in your area. You can get seen quicker at urgent care and can get admitted to the hospital sooner. I will keep you guys in my prayers.

• gblock says:

The urgent care clinics that I’ve been to can vary in that respect. If they are not busy, you can be seen pretty quickly, but if they are really busy and you come in without an appointment, you can wait several hours.

9. We’re back. Crane did not feel well enough to wait at the ER, so I took her home, and then I had to run some errands.

She’s not feeling well, but seems to be a little better than yesterday.

I’m still OK.

10. acemayo says:

The report from the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office said Renisha McBride’s alcohol level was 0.218 percent. The legal limit for drivers in Michigan is 0.08 percent.
    The report said McBride also had marijuana in her system when she was shot in the face by a homeowner after approaching his house after a car accident.
    ———————
    BigLeftbowski
    By the time this case gets to trial, the defendant will be the victim of drug-fueled black rage, that only a shotgun to the face could have stopped.
    ——————————–
    irrenmann
    Drug-addled, drunk, bloody person lurching up to the porch…you call out to stop, they don’t, you raise a firearm, they still don’t stop…

Not so hard to imagine such a shooting taking place that way. He’ll get his day in court.
    ———————————————————————————————————–
    toberday
    Let me get this straight. So his gun accidentally discharged and shot her in the head, because he was in fear of his life behind a locked door, clearly since her blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit, she had traces of marijuana and it was 2 a.m.?
    ———————————————-

I predict another Trayvon verdict and victim bashing
    I am seeing comments about her alcohol level and marijuana in her system. Which to them she was out of control person who needed to be shot

11. You all have thoughtful comments says:

What did you and Crane find out at ER, Professor?

12. towerflower says:

Watched the feed video, I can’t believe how they (reporters) kept trying to bait her to compare this to the Zimmerman case right down to asking if she was wearing a hoodie.

But it was also interesting to hear that the man shot her through a locked screen door. He opened the main door and shot through the screen door. All this time I thought it was through open doors and not a closed and locked storm/screen door.

• Dave says:

If he shot her through a locked screen door, then he must have opened the main inner door himself. (It was pretty cold that night so he wouldn’t have had it open to begin with.) Why in the hell would he open a locked door if he thought someone was trying to break in at that time of night?

• Drew says:

In order to shoot the person.

Then like the big Z, he didn’t shoot her because he had to – he shot her because he wanted to.

• Drew says:

That’s what I’ll never understand about the GZ thing.

At least in “castle” type cases, you can kind of see how the shooter might have percieved a threat to his home/family, so he gets over zealous with the gun.

Zimtard had the gun at the ready, but there was no threat whatsoever.

• Dave says:

The big difference between this case and the murder of Trayvon Martin is that Zimmerman was was looking for trouble and went out of his way to confront a harmless kid who wasn’t bothering anyone. In this case, however, the confrontation was initiated by a young woman who had had too much to drink and probably put the defendant, who had almost certainly been sleeping, in fear. That’s not to say that he had REASONABLE fear for his life or that shooting Ms. McBride was justifiable. Based on what limited information is avaiable, I believe that the manslaughter charge, at least, is justified.

This case will probably hinge on the question of what a reasonable man would do in this situation, but does that mean some theoretical “Reasonable Man” or a normal, ordinarily reasonable man living on the edge of Detroit suddenly wakened (or semiwakened) in the middle of the night by a drunken person beating on his door?

This should be interesting.

• towerflower says:

That’s correct Dave, they said he opened the door. Also with the screen door being closed and locked it helped prove that she was not attempting to break in the home. They said she only knocked on the outer door.

13. fauxmccoy says:

NEWS — charges for murder filed against shooter of 19 year old Renisha McBride

glad to hear it!

• Girlp says:

Hope this trial is real….

I’m hoping for a real trial too. That the shooter took an hour to call cops (and didn’t call cops to begin with) while the girl died on the front steps and not entering the house shows a lack of SYG. I saw comparison pictures of her house and the shooters house on Twitter – almost identical and only 1.6 miles away from one another, both on a corner. Tragedy all the way around.

• gblock says:

He took an HOUR to call the cops? I hadn’t read that before. That’s the kind of important detail that they should include.

14. fauxmccoy says:

be well, all of you.

15. ay2z says:

All the best, Crane. Looking forward to good news.

16. Boyd says:

Holy sheet, it got that bad.

Good news. Thanks for the update.