Lou Reed died today

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Good afternoon:

Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone reports today,

Lou Reed, a massively influential songwriter and guitarist who helped shape nearly fifty years of rock music, died today on Long Island. The cause of his death has not yet been released, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May.

He was 71-years-old.

RIP, Lou.

Your music will live forever.

19 Responses to Lou Reed died today

1. ay2z says:

Got an hour and fifteen? Enjoy!

• ay2z says:

If anyone watched the documentary, the last scene plays as the credits roll. The tribute to Lour’s friend Andy is striking, the early Factory visits with celeb guests sitting for their screen tests that became Warhol’s portraits where the sitters could only hold a pose for so long vefore their true selves would leak out.

The credits are a replay of Andy’s screen test portraits, and the Perfect Day’s line ‘you reap what you sow, is Lou’s life lesson he took from Andy. What appears to be Lou’s tribute Andy, in true symbiotic fashion, turns itself into a tribute, with the final portrait, of Lou Reed and I suspect, the character that leaks out of the screen test portraits, are the true feelings of his friends and collegues in the end.

This documentary, I’m convinced, was, with Lou’s blessing, planned for the day after yesterday.

An artist until the final day, a perfect day, perfect tribute through the documentary to the poet who was Lou Reed.

“… and how long will you be an artist?”

LR: “until the day I die.”

Lou earned his money playing rock. Was he really saying that rock was his conduit, his medium, to be poet?

Tonight I learned about an artist I knew nothing about. I knew about Cage, Knew about Warhol, and now I know about Lou Reed.

In the coming days or weeks, will get into the ‘New York Album’. That feels like the place to begin.

• fauxmccoy says:

@ay2z — ‘new york’ was a pivotal album/point in my life. seeing that tour in berkeley was one of the finer moments in my life. enjoy!

2. fauxmccoy says:

probably one of the first things i uploaded to youtube. has over 600k hits now. very fine song from the ‘new york’ album with rob wasserman on bass. listening to lou is the only thing on my agenda today along with hooking up my turntable, amp and bose speakers so i can make the windows shake on my neighbors house, just like the good old days.

3. My Top 5 Lou Reed solo songs:
    5. Strawman
    4. Coney Island Baby
    3. Walk on the Wildside
    2. New Sensation
    1. Kill Your Sons

4. MichelleO says:

And the Colored Girls sang…….

I used to wonder as a little girl, if all colored girls sang like that or if they liked being referred to as colored girls? It seemed like colored girls were some sort of alien.

Anyway, rest in peace, Lou Reed.

5. racerrodig says:

Lou and John Hiatt are 2 of the best singer / songwriter / guitar players there are……..sad to hear of this.

• colin black says:

Another stars in heaven tonight.

Lyrcs from the likes of Lennon L Cohen J Cash Lou Reed are golden .

We all have minute elements of gold in our bodies along with copper an many other basic elements 70 percent is h2o.

In order for gold to exsist it has to beforged by a solar blacksmith we call a sun.

An inevitably this gold can shine through us all to varying degrees.

6. colin black says:

I almost wish I had a vintage 79 bottle of Methadone to drink a toast.

7. colin black says:

Geeez 71

He will always be twenty one and a bit to me!

Or at least I am when listening to his music.

8. colin black says:

You beat me to it we just lost a legane