Shutdown limits CDC ability to respond to salmonella outbreak

Friday, October 11, 2013

Hello again.

I have published over 700 articles on this site and I do not believe I have ever said that an article is a must read, but this one is.

I just came across this disturbing article in Wired Science by Maryn McKenna, a journalist for national magazines and the author of SUPERBUG and BEATING BACK THE DEVIL.

She reports that the government shutdown has seriously limited the ability of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to respond to the salmonella outbreak from eating chicken that has sickened 278 people so far.

Multiple strains had been identified before the shutdown. Several are resistant to multiple families of antibiotics.

The references below to a person named Braden is a reference to Dr. Chris Braden, director of the CDC’s division of foodborne, waterborne and environmental diseases.

Here is what you need to know:

The official case count still stands at 278, but no one believes the numbers will stop there.

The breakdown by state — 17 states, not 18 as we heard the other day — is: Alaska (2), Arkansas (1), Arizona (11), California (213), Colorado (4), Connecticut (1), Florida (1), Hawaii (1), Idaho (2), Michigan (2), North Carolina (1), Nevada (8), Oregon (8), Texas (5), Utah (2), Washington (15) and Wisconsin (1).

Out of the 278, the CDC has some data for 274 of them. Those people range in age from less than a year old to 93 years old. The median age is 20. (NB: The median is not the average of all the ages; it’s the middle of the range of all of them. That it is low suggests there may be lots of teen and child cases.)

Out of the 278, the CDC has medical information for 183 of them. Of those, 76, or 42 percent, have been admitted to hospitals — which, Braden said, is about double what the CDC usually expects.

Illnesses in this outbreak have been occurring since March 1. But, Braden said, CDC analysts don’t believe this is just a continuation of the earlier outbreak that Foster Farms was involved in last summer; rather, they think it is a different one. More on that lower down.

A statistically significant proportion of the people whom state health departments have managed to interview seem to have been made ill by chicken which they bought raw and cooked at home — which is to say, not chicken that was bought cooked, and not chicken from a restaurant or food-service provider.

You also need to know the following information about the microbes:

There are seven strains of Salmonella circulating within this outbreak.
Within the limited testing they have been able to do, the CDC has determined that four of the seven strains are drug-resistant.

Two of the four are resistant to many antibiotics.

The antibiotics to which the strains are resistant are: ampicillin, chloramphenicol, gentamicin, kanamycin, streptomycin, sulfisoxazole, and tetracycline.

This complex resistance pattern “is probably contributing to the high hospitalization rate,” Braden told me.

Please read the complete article and take appropriate action to protect yourselves and your families from this serious health hazard.

Damn the politicians and their stupid games with our lives!

19 Responses to Shutdown limits CDC ability to respond to salmonella outbreak

1. Kate says:

Most of these people are salaried individuals and should be working anyway. They may be furloughed but they get all of that money back. The people who are still getting paid (Congress) are the ones not working and still getting a hefty paycheck and many of their services are still open despite the shutdown. Most of them don’t need the money seeing as many of them are millionaires. Their punishment of the people is truly an injustice.

2. ed nelson says:

My friends at Proffessor Fred’s Law blogg:

I see through the previous one above.

That is a concieled threat!

I am a white male 60+ who looks like the composit sketch of Zodi.

So what I am thinkin’ is: “what a great way to shut me up/take my geld/02cents…

I mean Frederick Dr. (The Zodiac Killer was just about the most similar generic f’n white asshole you could ever get a competent artist to contrive, he even had glasses in the comp sketch.

Like to reverb on it: I know somebody who lost a loved one by the satanic bastard: NightStalker!!

I think so called Zodiak, if that is anything real, might be out there even now, but if he/or she is… they would have to be damned old.

IOW’s the whole thing was no more than some kind of hoax!

“Monsters from the ID”

Love to hear any comments, and I will be directing more toward what the Proff says,, I promise.

3. ed nelson says:

I think zodiak is still out there, I don’t know too much about him.

One of the guys I worked many years with lost a family member to the late “Night Stalker”, and I have zero tollerance for them/ like the neighbors who almost killed the devil, but he was saved by cop!!

Hey HamRad… what is your version of who Zodiac could be…?

• Hi Ed! Honestly have no idea. My sense is that it wasn’t just one person orchestrating the letters, the murders and the taunting of press and police.

One of the important criminal justice takeaways in this case is the complete lack of cooperation between law enforcement depts. Vallejo PD was suspicious of SF PD who didn’t trust the Alameda Sheriff’s Dept. who didn’t want help from the FBI., etc…and all before emails so no one shared info. A complete cluster…..k.

The Boston Strangle case was just completely solved 40 some odd years later with a DNA matchup with the main suspect, Albert DeSalvo. There was always a question wether it was really him.

I find as I get oldah the mystery’s that remain unsolved from my youth, still intrigue.

Good Sunday morn sir!

4. Completely different subject if I may. Anybody ever follow the ZODIAC killer story here in California? Just read that a partial DNA makeup was pulled from some of the letters the killer sent to the SH Chron and that the partial DNA from the letters does not match any of the suspects who’s DNA was submitted for comparison. That includes Robert Graysmith’s suspect, the author of the book the film ZODIAC was made from.

The DNA comes from the seal/glue part and is attributed to a male.

This mystery still haunts me for some reason.

Saturday night, going bowling! Have fun all.

5. aussie says:

The California numbers look like an “outbreak”. There MAY be some common factor there, eg the same source for the chicken. Does California really export raw chicken to all those other states? to single people there?

Three California processing plants have been identified as the source of some of it. But they’re being allowed to stay open.

Total 278 cases in 7 months is hardly an epidemic.

The other cases, on the figures, don’t look related. How come others who ate the same food didn’t get it? how can they be sure what food it came from? I think because chicken has been identified in the California case (which IS an outbreak), they’re blaming it on chicken in the other cases, too, if the people admit to having eaten any.

The symptoms take 12 to 72 hours to show up: do people keep all their scraps all the time just in case, so they can be tested???? Something like 40,000 people get salmonella food poisoning every year, and it’s easily caused by LOCAL lack of hygiene; local as in the home where the food is prepared and eaten.

6. ed nelson says:

Yeah well, no responce on that… well tell you what, read the books and learn what you can learn.. and then get back!! Start with books like: “Animal Farm” I don’t care to spoon feed morons… )(LOL).

7. ed nelson says:

Hey Collin… are you taking a position on… “Lizard folks? If I recall… there was a decade recent, when the program called ”Star Treck” more or less devolved from the wonderful thing of the late 60’s when it brought something wonderful for the young to entrall thier otherwise impoverased… imaginations (WTF?_)

To when that namesake program became a place where to… trott out what the future is… what the future is to behold:

What the future to behold may become!!
    That future to become to behold may enclude genetic monstrosities… like the half lizard guys.

8. ed nelson says:

I guess that might be… Pandora’s Box… and… “Away We Go!!”

9. ed nelson says:

Geezus Fred… I had no Idea how much things have changed!

Now things are going to new places…

We opened the Box…

Holy Moley!

10. ed nelson says:

Collin, one thing about my impressions from observing David Ike is that… I see him in the way he appears… and he is sort of similar to me and my family: Well… “Nordic”

11. dianetrotter says:

I’m in Cali. No chicken for me.

• Rachael says:

I’m in Washington. None for me either!!

• looneydoone says:

contracted Typhoid ( a strain of salmonella) 7 years ago . One side effect of the medication (Cipro) is Achilles tendon rupture. That left me in a wheel chair 71/2 months. One cannot be over cautious…only free range, orhanic, locally raised chicken for me since. That’s *organic*, am waiting on delicvery of a new keyboard

12. ed nelson says:

Colin Black:

Not especially but don’t you think that Dave’s… obsession of Lizard people… could have some value in the way of… allegory?

13. colin black says:

ed nelson says:

October 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

And… Thanks for writing these posts, I like to hear some of my own… thinking/ expressed somewhere outside the confines of my ownself every once in a while!

And… What’I mean… most of us get exposed… or get our ”info inputs” via ”mass media”, etc. etc. etc. (No I didn’t shave my head yet!)

And… where there is BS… there is…? bull shit control?… truthnessiness-(TM)

Oh Yeah, Thanks too for floating very little covered… conscepts, such as I somehow blundered upon back in my formative years of reading some of the thinkers of that time… IE: Coincidences ain’t really!

Too thte point here: I asx you gaddamit… “All of this Asterity hoax, and the usual… Line up of creep wealthy codgers involved…
    well how did we ever get this far, if we are going to commit collective Euthenicide… on que by starving regulations!!?? Check holds on the craven desires of mad greedy snakes, who pretend human form?
    @

Do you mean lizard folk al la David Ike reptilian shape shifters or are you talking figureitively?

14. ed nelson says:

And… where there is BS… there is…? bull shit control?… truthnessiness-(TM)

15. kllypyn says:

So much for not needing the government. Since these tea party nut jobs hate the government so much. If a disaster hit’s their homes or business they shouldn’t go to the government for help.