We need your donations to continue this website

Monday, October 7, 2013

Crane and I are struggling to survive on my social security and Medicare, which have been reduced due to cutbacks.

We have not paid our rent or electric bill for this month and have just been notified by our landlord that we will be evicted next month, if we do not pay our rent by the 15th.

We desperately need donations.

Without donations we can no longer maintain this website.

Please make a donation today.

Fred

39 Responses to We need your donations to continue this website

Perhaps opening a crowd-funding account would be good. I get an e-mail update from an astrologer who is quite sharp and informative – she’s having a health crisis and also moving to the US from Aus – her daughter set up a crowdfunding account and notified all the readers. Perhaps doing a big drive annually rather than piecemeal would keep finances at an even keel.

2. Rachael says:

I got some work today. If I get some the rest of the week, I’ll be able to help out in a couple of weeks when I get paid. Hope you can hang in there until then!

3. Mary Davis says:

@ Linda. What is wrong?. You sound angry. Have you been in a similar situation and no one offered to help you?. If you are fortunate that you have never needed help (financial for otherwise), you are one lucky person. I hope your luck holds out, if not, you might have to look back on that nasty comment some day.

A foreign dignitary once told someone that while in America, he had learned from a used car dealer, a valuable proverb:

“Make your words soft and sweet, because one day you may have to eat them.”

Off topic here, but an interesting fact and germane to many other threads regarding violence, prison, government: What are the most violent states in the US?

5. boyd says:

I hope donations came in to keep going.

6. MedicineBear says:

Y’know, I read this thinking “I’m in the same boat, I’m helpless to do anything” (living on social security, NOT living in a meritocracy where my skills and contributions to society would be valued and fairly compensated). I also know I’m suffering “bleeding heart exhaustion” from pleas for help from so many quarters while I struggle to help myself.

Then I read Linda Andersen’s judgmental (yeah, that’s me judging her) post and it knocked some Christed common sense into me. I am NOT in the same boat. I can pay my electric bill and I don’t have the land-owner overlord knocking at my door. If I have a crust of bread and my brother and sister have none, I can still share half a crust of bread.

All Sacred teachings hold the concept of tithing (giving 10 per cent) BACK to The Great Spirit of infinite bounty (from whence it came in the first place). The Christ Spirit is in all of us when we live as Christ showed us.

This month I am tithing 10 per cent of our Social Security check to you in honor of the Spirit of Christ shining through your work. You (or someone like you) have, and will, do the same for me. There may be many of us struggling, but the burden is lightened when the struggle is shared.

7. Times are hard for folks in different ways. Who am I to judge. Love this blog and it’s cast of contributors. Donation sent. Rawk on Fred & Crane.

8. Linda Andersen says:

Professor, yes, George Zimmerman is a grifter and so is his family, especially his father, who collects both Military and Virginia State retirement checks and STILL begs for money.

Please explain to me why you are any LESS of a grifter. I followed the trial religiously and truly appreciated your input. I just made another donation, but after a hemorrhagic stroke 3 years ago (I’m still paying off the hospital bills), funds are severely limited.

I don’t mean to be contentious, but why are two people with multiple post-graduate degrees unable to get jobs sufficient to keep a roof over their heads and put food on the table?

I am sure that I’m not the only one here who has concerns.

• fauxmccoy says:

that is a pretty harsh comparison, ms. anderson.

perhaps you are unaware of the time that maintaining a blog with heavy traffic requires. articles require research, monitoring posts takes time, actively participating and answering questions takes more time.

blogging has become a viable media and becomes more so every day. i for one find value in the professor’s articles and as such, i am willing to pay what i consider a reasonable and affordable amount for the privilege of learning and participating. it is not remotely unusual for bloggers to rely upon their blogs as a revenue source, be it through donations, sponsorships, or advertising.

there is a world of difference between establishing a beg site and providing a service, which this blog does.

your questions regarding employment or personal financial information are insulting, especially given our current economy. either you find value here and are willing to donate to keep it going or you do not.

• Linda Andersen says:

I DID donate. Maybe you should learn to read.

• Linda Andersen says:

What I was trying to say: if this blog is not bringing in enough income, then do something else to supplement it. “The economy” just becomes an excuse after a while.

I did not mean to offend anyone, but through this blog, I have learned that “progressives” can often be as obnoxious as conservatives.

Don’t worry. I won’t cast my shadow in your presence again, breathe your air, express my opinion on this blog, or whatever else you might find offensive.

• MedicineBear says:

It’s not the expression of your opinion that is offensive, it is the offensive “blame the victim” content of your opinion that is offensive.

• Rachael says:

I don’t understand the statement you have learned progressives can be as obnoxious as conservatives. Does that mean you are “a progressive?” Or “a conservative?” Not that it matters either way, I just found it a curious statement. As far as other people having concerns, yes, I do have concerns but they differ from yours because I can see how someone with multiple degrees would be in that situation. I know many educated, experienced people who are. I’m in a similar circumstance mysel sans degrees and unlike you, I don’t have limited funds. I wish I did as that would mean I had some funds. I also wish I were trying to make it on Social Security as at least that would be something coming in regularly. so yes I have concerns. I know what it is like and my concern is how can I help, what can I do when I have even less than both of you. I can’t, financially but I can thank you so much for doing what you can and did and let you know how much I appreciate it and wish I could and that I will if and when I can, so bless you. You have given me a gift as well as Fred and Crane because it allows me to see them here just that much longer. I appreciate it very much. Please do not make me feel like I should feel bad for being here when I can’t do what you can because I would if I could.vit would mean I was doing well, so thank you. seriously, thank you. And to Fred and Crane I have little to offer other than knowing you are not alone. it sucks, especially when people get nasty about the fact that they are really quite fortunate. What you share a price tag can not be placed on and it makes you far richer than people who can do nothing more than throw money at you. of course that doesn’t pay the rent. in a couple of weeks I can help out if you’re still hanging in there by then. I’m sorry some people don’t understand. That is much more of a concern to me than how you could not have something more sustaining because that I totally don’t understand. What I don’t understand is someone being nasty because they don’t understand. They don’t realize how fortunate they are and rather than being grateful for that they well…it is 3 am and I’m rambling.

You sure are seeing things differently from how I see them. I see two people who set up a valuable public service and kept it going although they didn’t know of ways to make it profit them personally; I see them devoting themselves in countless ways to make our lives better and not spending the largest part of their own lives on ways to make their own financial and political positions better. I see them struggling to help people who need help, and offering their intelligence and emotional energy to people they have never met, many of whom do not even send them mini-contributions that would be equivalent to buying the a cup of coffee at MacDonalds.

Often I have felt like a thief, stealing Fred’s and Crane’s time and energy when I couldn’t afford to help them keep going. I wish I could figure out a way to make their blog begin to reap the profits that goodness and intelligence should earn us in this brutal culture. But I don’t know how to do that myself.

I wish I were wealthy so I could feel I have shared with them one percent as much as they have shared with me.

These people are our elders, our “wise men,” our sages, our prophets.

How much carpentry did Jesus of Nazareth ever do in his lifetime? Was he a “grifter”?

Fogen wanted money to make and keep him in a celebrity lifestyle as a reward for having killed an innocent child. Fred and Crane want help providing for themselves at a subsistence level.

Well-said.

• Girlp says:

Amenn

• Girlp says:

I don’t understand her statement at all they give us a true insight into how the law works and Crane gives us a look into our poorly trained prision guards and corruption in our prision system in the legal system period. They did not deserve her harsh words.

• boyd says:

grifter is a bad choice of words.

How many of us read blogs and never contribute a penny? Its a lot of work to provide quality written articles.

I’m working on a website now so that I can bring in income after I retire 5 years from now.

• MDH says:

@Linda

I disagree.

A grifter patronizes his mark in order to get what they want. Any thread about Shellie or GZ attracts a lot of traffic. That said, why would a grifter have written a long thread about how, maybe, we should give Shellie some slack in that she may be an abused spouse?

If Frederick was a grifter, he would be piling the shit on GZ and Shellie deep and high.

Also, the Zimmerman’s offer nothing that is intellectually useful or helpful to society. If I wanted Faux news BS repeated to me, I would watch them.

Frederick provides a tangible product that has use.

So I get something for what he asks me to pay for.

This site also attracts minds that offer something useful. The intellect of the average poster on this site equals the limit of 1 divided by X wherein X approaches the number of brain cells in Frank Taffe’s skull.

IOW, it is infinite.

It would be nice for this site to have sponsors.

• Donna says:

Linda,
      I do not normally post my two cents on these types of conversations, but your post above has compelled me to do so.

I recently moved to another state to live with my mother-in-law, who was on social security and medicare. I moved in with her because she had a terminal illness and could no longer work. Her social security did not pay enough to allow her to support herself, and her terminal illness made it impossible to continue to supplement her income. Luckily, my husband and I were fortunte enough to be able to move in and help her.

Not everone is so lucky. You ask why two people with post graduate degrees are unable to get jobs, yet you missed the facts of their being on social security and medicare. That means they are at least 65 years of age.

It is not easy getting a job at any age in today’s market. Much less when you are older. Have you considered that perhaps they are unable? Perhaps they are not in good health? I don’t know this to be true, but I do know that we are not aware of their present circumstances other than they need help financially.

You ask about getting jobs to supplement….that is what they have done. This blog is their job and they work it full time. All they are asking is that the people who recieve the service they provide contribute what they can.

You ask what makes them different than the Zimmermans? That is simple….the Zimmermans ask for money and give nothing back. This site provides imput that you, yourself, value.

Thank you for donating, but if you truly feel that you needed to question the motiviation of this site, I for one, would not mind if you went elsewhere.

Professor, I will be making a donation myself. It will be small as my mother-in-law lost her battle to cancer recently and we have her bills and funeral expenses to cover.

• Rachael says:

“That means they are at least 65 years of age.

It is not easy getting a job at any age in today’s market. Much less when you are older.”

Truer words were never spoken.

• Thank you for your kind remarks. My condolences to you and your husband.

As actions speak louder than words, your sacrifice for your mother in law demonstrates your strength and love.

Peace be with you.

Fred

• Donna says:

Thank you, but actually it was because of her sacrifices and love that we move here. We could not bear the thought of a nursing home. We wanted her final days to be at home, where she loved to be.

It is a decision that we will never regret and feel blessed to have been able to share with her.

She was a wonderful woman.

• fauxmccoy says:

(((((((((APPLAUSE))))))))

9. Xena says:

@Professor. I received email notification for this post and am happy I didn’t delete it and pay a visit later to catch up — because — it’s not on the “Recent Posts” menu.

10. fauxmccoy says:

done, fred.

11. MichelleO says:

I had no idea that you and your wife were that bad off, Professor. I am so sorry to hear this. You have such an excellent website, that I am surprised that you do not have sponsors. You must go this route.

12. Dave says: