Religious leader in India charged with sexually assaulting 16-year-old girl.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Good evening:

I like to read foreign newspapers to keep up on world events. I look for events in foreign countries that are similar to events in the United States. Yesterday, I discovered an unusual correspondence between two events, one in the U.S and one in India. We all know about Sybrina Fulton’s and Tracy Martin’s heroic refusal to accept the Sanford Police Department’s inaction and bogus excuses for failing to recommend that the prosecution charge George Zimmerman with murder or manslaughter. Their grace and persistence inspired millions of people around the world to support their cause. Even though the trial ended badly, they continue to seek justice for Trayvon setting an example for all of us to follow.

A similar story is underway in India.

On August 15th, a 16-year-old girl told her mother that a man named Asaram, who describes himself as a “godman,” sexually assaulted her for an hour and a half inside his ashram after locking all the doors and turning out the lights. The girl went to the ashram that day to undergo an exorcism conducted by Asaram. At his request, the girl’s mother spent the hour-and-a-half outside the ashram praying for a successful exorcism.

The girl’s mother immediately notified the police and they commenced an investigation. Two weeks later, Asaram’s influential and vocal supporters were controlling the message. The girl’s parents responded with a hunger strike declaring they would not eat until the police arrested and charged Asaram.

Police arrested Asaram on Sunday.

According to the Hindustan Times, the father said,

“We were not aware that he was a beast masquerading as a spiritual guru,” the girl’s father said in Lucknow on Sunday. “Not only did we donate 7 acres of land, we also contributed money for the ashram. There was immense pressure on us to withdraw the complaint. From threats to money, Asaram’s supporters tried every trick in the book.

One should not have blind faith on the self-styled godman, he added. “Asaram took my daughter to his private quarters to perform rituals to ward off evil spirits and then he assaulted her.”

On Monday police arrested one of Asaram’s aides and charged him with aiding abetting.

Asaram remains in jail without bail pending his next court hearing.

We now have two excellent examples of parents peacefully demanding thorough police investigations and formal charges.

Encouraging news.

a the investigation appeared to have stalled out stalled the police for the exorcism to concludeHer mother waited outside the ashramwhile her mother waited for her outside. The girl’s mother and father scheduled an appointment for her to meet with Asaram s waiting for and all of us who recommending and prolonged refusal decision t the Hindustan Times

55 Responses to Religious leader in India charged with sexually assaulting 16-year-old girl.

1. ay2z says:

This is what I noticed on a Canadian Press article this morning. Fund a link to share with video.

Enjoy! We pay attention to international news too. 🙂

• ay2z says:

(a uccess story with 500 babies, sometimes we need to insert this into the tragic threads. Wishing the parents in India, all the best with their case, and the daugher, a good recovery from her ordeal. In Canada, we have had stories headlining, aboout Canadian parents immigrated, arranging the killing of their own young daughter when she travelled back to India and chose a husband of her own. This was a so called ‘honour’ killing.

We need to pay more attention and not generalize– the parents in Prof’s article, show just how important that is.

Unbelievable that someone would feel they had to kill their own child for something as fundamental as choosing their own mate. Hard to wrap my head around.

2. Boyd says:

All Fogen’s witnesses claimed to know him so well. Now the wife says she did not really know him. They all wanted to be fooled.

• ay2z says:

They all wanted to be fooled.

And the fact that they were all fooled, along with other factors of control, manipulation, monotone lack of emotion about killing a child, (ind the Peter Pan account/Shellie’s role in what she called ‘misrepresenting’ to Judge Lester) kinda pushes him even further along the anti-social scale, doesn’t it?

Oh, and the fact that he alwasy got away with everything, until this week’s traffic ticket of course.

Narcissists can have that effect on others. I was married to one who charmed everyone. Though I don’t see how Fogen is charming! : / Polite, yes. Soft-spoken, yes. But charismatic? Ugh.

3. Girlp says:

I’m hoping India is improving womens rights and that the fake godman will be convicted. Our country is going backwards at least in the states with Republican Governers….They have gone completly crazy in Texas.

• Boyd says:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Good luck with that. Outside of Europe,Canada, US, women have no shot in hell. Even the so-called ‘good’ countries treat women like dirt.

• Girlp says:

Not too long ago the girl’s father would have been killed and the Government would do nothing about it. Her parents filing and persuing justice for her is a good sign.

• Boyd says:

In a High Profile case they may ‘do something’.

My office mate’s Turkish GF was Gang raped in Turkey. Just one of many ugly stories.

The “go to a religious leader for correction” line has been a pre-rape apologetic in probably 100 different cultures forever. “Men of God” can use that power to … oh well, everything.

5. Trained Observer says:

Taking a look at their debt listed in the court filing, the Fogen couple’s pre-murder lifestyle becomes more ludicrous.

With student loan and other debt like that , how is it that:

* SheLie thought she could sit home noodling around with on-line classes without having at least a part-time job? (Maybe Fogen liked to brag that “his wife was in school and didn’t have to work?”)

* Fogen had money for ammo to go out shooting regularly with his pal Osterman?

* Fogen, with his job and community college classes, had time to even think about “helping out ” with political campaigns or butting into HOA business, or chumming around with cops — especially since he was squatting?

* If they paid off AMEX as per the jail chat, why is the tab running so high again? Clearly it’s not because they paid off the 2009 Honda.

The list could go on, but this fiscal picture paints a larger scenario of idiocy at a remarkable level. Keeping up with the Ostermans. Trying to look like a big man on campus or around town, Fogen was gonna show mumsy and daddy what a hotshot he had become.

I continue to believe SheLie is trash. But based on her jailhouse phone cat remark that the beg-site cash should be used for bails ince “that’s what it’s for,” there may be a glimmer of hope for her to climb out of the dumpster and get a decent life.

• groans says:

Link, please? Thanks.

Ditto Ditto, TO.

• lurker says:

Also speaks to some of the tuition funding shenanigans. Lotta for profit schools offering dubious degrees run up big tabs for their students–including “living expenses” while in school. If, as seems to be the case, she was taking online classes not exactly for nursing but for something low-skilled and uncertified (like nurse’s aide), she is likely as much a victim as anythiing else. The online schools are merely a new wrinkle, but there have been dubious “job training” purveyors around for a long time–basically any time the government has been willing to pay for it. Recently government aid has shifted from grants to loans, leaving a lot of students owing a lot with little means of ever earning the repayment.

Really hope that she is able to learn going forward and not just go looking for another meal ticket.

Sounds like they’ve used credit cards as well as student loans for living expenses. It does add up fast with those interest rates.

6. Lynn says:

What I want to know is why Shellie is having dinner and a movie every week with John Donnelly???

She saw him in court and knew he was doing wrong by the court (even though Nelson was blind and ignorant) and she heard him lie giving his stupid testimony about how he was an expert on knowing who is screaming near death and such. Family friend? I think he’s reporting back to Fogen on Shellie’s whereabouts and doings.

• Boyd says:

he was their daddy warbucks.

• looneydoone says:

Me thinks he’s one of papi zee’s friends from the USArmy days
        Certainly Donnelley and wife have nothing in common with fogen and/or Shellie. I don’t trust the fogen parents as far as I could toss an SUV in 125mph headwinds. The family is an evil bunch of entities known as psychic vampires

7. MDH says:

a catchy morning tune dedicated the Shellie, Donnelly and all the other saps with a reason to believe…

8. Boyd says:

Here’s one I missed

She says her husband was verbally abusive toward her and that he has been making what she considers “reckless decisions.” She didn’t specify what those decisions were. “In my opinion, he feels more invincible” since his acquittal, she added.

9. Boyd says:

Here’s a bombshell statement from Shellie I extracted from a Washington Post article.

“I have been married to a person for about seven years and I don’t think I ever really knew him at all.”

• Rachael says:

she said on an intetview I saw that she was so busy supporting him all those years she neglected herself. I believe he was always that person she didn’t think she knew but she was too close to the situation to see it. i believe that now that she’s backed away from it some she can see it and she said she doesn’t want the drama I really believe her

10. Tzar says:

you know what? these people will eventually talk
    they have caught the fame bug
    and they have nothing to sell but that night
    they are not interesting otherwise
    once we stop paying them attention they will come begging to sell the only thing they have that we want: the truth, and the longer they wait the larger the discount will have to be.

11. MDH says:

What is more “devastating” is that John Donnelly put himself at risk for charges to help out an obvious lying con man.

Maybe John will do some soul searching and come to realize that lying and cheating is part and parcel of the entirety of humanity and not limited to “those people”.

In fact, it is one of “those people” – Racheal – who time and tide is showing to have more common sense and integrity than all of them.

She reduced George to what he is in three words – Creepy ass cracker.

• Rachael says:

I think a lot of people are starting to realize they’ve been taken. More will be coming out as they realize how foolish they were to protect this racist murderer they honestly believed (or wanted to believe) was something/someone else.

• Woow! says:

Hi Rachel, they knew

They just did not want him to go to jail for killing a black child because no white man should. You black males lives are not worth salt to those people. I just hope Karma hit all of those who help him get away with murder.

• pat deadder says:

Rachael I’m hoping your right about some realizing how foolish they were to protect this racist murderer.I just hope the jury members see how foolish they were.Of course b37 is a lost cause.I have tried to figure out racism.I believe some racists are jealous that black people are becoming successful in spite of all the obstacles they have had to overcome.
        I also loved your post about abuse victims and PDSD.
        It has been 21 years since I left my husband and only once or twice have I described anything and that was on this blog.
        Our son tells of some things but he tells it to make it funny which is nice.
        I had nightmares for 5 years after.
        I’m thinking Shelly and fogen weren’t getting along during the trial since there was no reaction between them after the verdict.
        Maybe the inlaws talked her into coming and maybe she was hoping for a guilty verdict.

• lurker says:

I suspect that Shellie was hoping for a lot of things, not the least of which was to be able to settle into some semblance of normalcy with a husband capable of loving her and raising children with her. These are really difficult dreams ot let go of–even when the person you are hoping will come round provides no evidence of being able to do so. And I gotta give her credit for hanging around until the trial was over.

But gz simply cannot do right. And every time he gets away with doing wrong, it is simply going to get more difficult for him to admit to his own failures.

It’s very tough to leave once you’ve been with someone for several years if you’re an enabler or someone determined to fix a relationship. Should be a lot easier for Shellie since she has no kids involved. She can thank her lucky stars for that.

12. Soulcatcher says:

and more details

John Donnelly, a family friend who testified in George Zimmerman’s defense at his trial, told Reuters that Shellie was “devastated” when her husband “just packed up and left” after his acquittal and was gone for a month without telling anyone his whereabouts.

Shellie had lost touch with him and had grown increasingly upset, Donnelly said. Donnelly added that he and his wife had been taking Shellie to dinner and a movie weekly since the acquittal.

• groans says:

Shellie Zimmerman files for divorce after 7 years;
      calls George Zimmerman ‘selfish’
      By Associated Press,
      Updated: Friday, September 6, 7:41 AM

SANFORD, Fla. — George Zimmerman’s wife, Shellie, says she stood by her man “through everything” but once he was acquitted of murder charges in the 2012 shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, he left her with “a bunch of pieces of broken glass.”

Zimmerman, who filed for divorce from George Zimmerman on Thursday, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” in an interview aired Friday that her husband is selfish.

She says the couple tried counseling but in the end “George is all about George.” She also said he has been verbally abusive and is making what she considers “reckless decisions.”

She says her husband only spent three or four nights at their house since the trial ended in July and that she moved out Aug. 13.

George Zimmerman’s attorney did not comment on the accusations.

• Rachael says:

I just got a notice on Facebook via Axiom Amnesia that MOM is now the new legal analyst for CNN. Uggghhh. I can’t find documentation of that though.

But She’lLie is going to be on GMA this morning. A snippet said he changed after the trial and became verbally abusive to her and she felt like he wasn’t the man she knew for almost 7 years. I still maintain that he absolutely was, she just couldn’t see it and now she does, and yes, it is a big shock. She said they went for counseling but it didn’t help. As I also said, perhaps he has changed, but certainly not for the better. If I thought he was a loose cannon before–

• Boyd says:

I don’t have TV anymore, but I’ll never watch CNN until O’Mara’s gone when I’m around a TV.

• groans says:

Uggghhh, is right!! But I’ll be surprised if they dump Jeffrey Toobin for MOM. Surely CNN is not THAT stupid!?
          ______________________________

As for Shellie: If she filed for divorce based only on two months of post-trial behavior and counseling (and if CAC did actually vanish for one of those two months), then I gave her too much credit for having sense.

But I’m not buying that story just yet. And I hope she’s not fooling herself or being less than forthright, because a perjurer cannot rehabilitate herself unless she’s scrupulously truthful for the rest of her life.

She’ll end up shooting herself in the foot if she can’t recognize, face, and live in reality. Granted, that’s very challenging for an abuse victim, who may need to rely heavily on defense mechanisms as she grapples with her reality. So if Shellie is still “grappling,” then some caring person should advise her to stay quiet and private until she comes to grips with it all. Otherwise, she risks having disparate “stories” and partial-truths thrown in her face down the road.

I feel for her – she’s got a really rough road ahead, for now. But if she truly wants to make good, she could adopt as a mantra, “The truth will set me free” … and be honest with herself about what “the truth” is.

• Trained Observer says:

Wonder if they saw The Butler?

Disappeared with the loot, huh?

Probably holed up somewhere with Jeralyn. Ordering Chinese for extra energy between bouts of telling and retelling THEIR story.

• Tzar says:

my only interest in this is could or will it affect the revelation of the truth about that night?

otherwise
      zero fucks given

Ditto, Tzar.

• lurker says:

If she knows something, she may eventually tell. What was revealing for the moment is her statement that he is running around believing that he is invincible.

Makes me wonder about a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, btw.

But, it is George himself who will most likely prove his own undoing.

• groans says:

Wow! Sounds like Shellie does have SOME sense, after all! Maybe too little (and definitely too late) but, over time, we’ll learn how much. Shellie was publicly used and then snubbed by her husband during his farcical murder prosecution. Like others here, I believe she’s been one of many victims of CAC’s abuse.

I only hope that she quits protecting him with ambiguous and/or improbable statements about his nature and character. (But I’m not holding my breath, since she IS a product of “Central Florida: Land of No Heroes.”)

The quintessentially ignorant Juror B37, for one, needs to learn something about where CAC’s “heart” truly lies. And I bet Shellie could provide some insightful lessons about that … IF she chooses to do so.

• Rachael says:

groans, it is going to take some time. I knew as soon as I saw her she has been a victim of abuse by him for years. Most likely verbally and certainly emotionally and perhaps even physically. And this is definitely born out by the post below me where it says he left for a month. I know it’s hard to understand but she probably doesn’t even realize the abuse she’s been through and as she slowly comes to terms with it, we will slowly find out more of the truth of that night. I know it seems that it should be an immediate thing because we can see it so clearly but it just doesn’t work that way. It’s like a form of PTSD. It is aweful it took something like this for her to get away but thank goodness she did get away or she would possibly be in that situation for many more years, even ending up dead herself, but instead hopefully she can have a good life. He however as you can see he has not changed any. I take that back. he is worse, thinks he’s proven to be above all and I have no doubt he will end up behind bars for something, probably sooner than later.

• lurker says:

I agree, Rachael. Recovery is going to take some time. She has already admitted publically to verbal and emotional abuse. Sometimes it takes awhile to break through the denial and recognize that things that might have been dismissed at the time a “just shoving” or “deserved,” were actually abusive.

It seems that non-violent direct action is making a comeback and is having some success.