Norm Stamper, a man for our times

Friday, August 16, 2013

Good morning to all of our friends.

Crane is back. She got in late last night and she’s still on West coast time, so she’ll be sleeping for awhile.

Looneydoone posted this suggestion on the Ray Kelly thread yesterday afternoon:

Why not consider someone like former Police Chief Norm Stamper for DHS or “Drug Czar” ?

If only . . .

Norm Stamper is an extraordinary man. He was a law enforcement officer for 34 years, serving as a police officer in San Diego for 28 years and as Chief of Police for the City of Seattle for 6 years (1994-2000).

Wikipedia provides a quick summary:

Stamper is known for his role as Chief of the Seattle Police Department responsible for Seattle’s response to the protests of the WTO Ministerial Conference of 1999, which eventually led to his resignation. Stamper has expressed regret about his decisions at the time. When discussing the use of chemical agents such as tear gas Norm Stamper declared it was a mistake and said “The chief in me should have said, ‘For the greater good, we ought not to have brought those chemical agents out. We ought not to have, I think, raised the stakes.'”

Since his resignation, Stamper has called for the legalization of all drugs and the case-by-case release of persons incarcerated for nonviolent drug offenses. He serves as an advisory board member for LEAP as well as NORML. He has also starred in the marijuana documentary The Union: The Business Behind Getting High.

Stamper is the author of a book entitled Breaking Rank: A Top Cop’s Exposé of the Dark Side of American Policing.

In response to the Occupy demonstrations, he has reiterated his regret about how he handled the protests in Seattle, and publicly stated the need to create an alternative to what he termed “the paramilitary bureaucracy that is American policing”, stating no change will happen “unless, even as we cull ‘bad apples’ from our police forces, we recognize that the barrel itself is rotten”.

Stamper opposes racism and our nation’s abominable incarceration rate:

“Justice is like a train that is nearly always late.”
—Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Happening upon this quote by the Russian poet and filmmaker, I’m reminded of the vast numbers of long-dead Americans denied simple justice in their lifetimes.

The train arrived too late, for example, for millions of African Americans who for centuries were legally victimized by slavery, Jim Crow segregation, and economic and physical cruelty.

Resistance to basic legal reforms guarantees that many millions of Americans will go to their graves as victims of sanctioned injustice. The train is not even in sight for the half million non-violent drug offenders (disproportionately poor and of color) languishing in our prisons, the result of a fatally flawed belief that prohibition works, or can somehow be made to work. Research and the experience of many other nations demonstrate how the regulated legalization of all drugs would make our neighborhoods, and our citizens, safer and healthier.

The U.S., with less than five percent of the world’s population, is home to 25 percent of its prisoners, a whopping 2.3 million people. Some offenders belong in prison, many do not. We pay dearly for a vindictive system that often serves to make matters so much worse.

He opposes the death penalty:

In only 17 states (plus the District of Columbia) is the barbaric, fruitless practice of human execution outlawed. The “Innocence Projects” around the country have freed over 200 wrongly convicted persons, many of them after having served 10 or 20 or more years in prison, some on death row. No one knows how many innocent people have been put to death in this country. The memory of even one should sear the conscience of the American people, and force our lawmakers to end the death penalty.

He wants to repeal the Second Amendment:

Guns in the hands of people who should never touch a firearm ensure unsafe streets, homes, campuses, and workplaces across the land, with the continuing threat of the slaughter of innocent children.

He wants justice in the home:

Violence in the home denies basic security and emotional wellbeing for millions of people, most of them women, many of them children. Being brutalized, terrorized, forced to live in fear of a “loved one” is an abject form of injustice.

He writes a regular column for the Huffington Post. On Tuesday he wrote about the unlawful stop-and-frisk policy by the NYPD:

Unfortunately, NYPD ignored this law [Terry v. Ohio, 392 U.S. 1 (1968)] and, in the process violated the Fourth and Fourteenth Amendments to the constitution. Perhaps if Mayor Bloomberg and Commissioner Kelly could put themselves in the shoes of an innocent young black man, whose skin color has been criminalized by the city, they would understand how to use the legitimate public safety tool that is stop-and-frisk.

Yes, indeed. Norm Stamper is another one of my heroes, even though I recall cursing him during the World Trade Organization (WTO) riots in Seattle when he gave the order to use pepper gas to break-up demonstrators marching in the downtown streets on a workday. I was gassed while walking back to my office from federal court and I threw up all over the sidewalk.

Nothing will radicalize an innocent person quicker than suffering through an incident like that. What started as a small demonstration quickly turned into a full blown riot.

I respect and long ago forgave Stamper for admitting his mistake and apologizing for it. He even resigned as police chief. There are literally legions of people in positions of leadership and power in this country who would never even consider admitting they made a wrong decision, let alone apologize for it.

Of course, there is absolutely no chance that President Obama would consider nominating him to run the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or serve as the nation’s Drug Czar.

The simple truth is corporate America and the banks are making billions of dollars off our nation’s wars for unfettered control and exploitation of natural and human resources in foreign countries and at home. The banks also make billions laundering drug profits.

If men and women in government and corporate boardrooms were as honest and principled as Norm Stamper, we would have a functioning instead of a pretend democracy, the government would be running the banks instead of the banks running the government, there would not be a war against drugs, we would not need a Department of Homeland Security, and we would not have the NSA spying on us.

Norm Stamper is an advisory board member of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), and serves on the board of directors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services in San Juan County, Washington. He lives and writes in the San Juan Islands.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

We thank everyone for their donations. Although the financial situation has improved, we remain uncomfortably close to the brink. If you can afford to and have not already done so, please take a few minutes to make a donation.

Producing articles every day and maintaining this blog requires substantial time and effort.

We streeeeeeetch your mind.

Namaste

Fred

97 Responses to Norm Stamper, a man for our times

1. ay2z says:

This broadcast, October 16, 1970, was Canada’s own highly controversial invocation of ‘The War Measures Act’ in peacetime.

This is not a parody, it is the real thing, with then Prime Minister, PIerre Elliot Trudeau.

A historic moment in Canada, but the terrorism was never used to prolong the War Measures Act, to create a paramilitary force, to change out own constitution, (which was newly patriated from England, I think the spring of this same year but have to check),.

I wonder if Naomi Wolfe has studied this history also?

When challenged about using the WMA, Trudeau famously replied “Just Watch Me.”

2. ay2z says:

Canada US Border Patrol– going south

3. colin black says:

Deborah Moore says:

August 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

You sure do spend a lot of time hauranging, Mr. Black.
    Some of it matters to me, and some of it doesn’t.
    I read your rant about folks who go overthetop to go Too Huggsy to folks they don’t know. I don’t know if I was included in that particular post, but it did make me take pause and not comment much yesterday.

Reply .

@

Are you sure I spend a lot of time ranting an haurangeing?Miiss Moore?

Regular readers of Freds Threads know I spend a lot more time writing dittys than what you term haranguing and rants In a very rude an unnessessery nasty tone Ive never even responded to you? Let alone belittled your opinion by reffering to them as rants?

An then you say say that although most of my posts don’t matter to you .Wich is fine rude but fine.

You then insinuate that I somehow affected you by writing a post about overly friendly people that caused you to feel slighted an unable to post much.

So in one post you have decided to profile me as a ranter an raver an a bit of a cyber bully whom hurt your feelings….

Somehow how you like someone else we discuss occasionally are able to enter my head an know what Im thinking an what my intentions are.?

An although Ive never met you nor know your nature mannerisms or if you like to hug people or are overy friendly .

Decided that in what you refer to as a rant about touchy feely people .
    That you may have been a target of mine alleged by you rant?

I don’t know you as Ive explained an I don’t have the ability to mind meld or read peoples thoughts or know how they act in social settings.

So how on earth could have I been includeing you in my haranguing rants?

Besides if you had bothered to read my entire post I have no problem with tactile or friendly people IN fact I like tactile friendly people.

The ones I was RANTING an HARANGEING about were the dissengeuious huggers an overly friendly types whom use it as a means to disarm an ingracieate themselves into faux freindships they then exploit.

Also regular readers of Freds Threads know Im no shrinking violet an can be estreamly cutting an to my shame even hurtfull with my comments if I feel the need.

So since your dissrespectfull post to me Ive perused all your prior posts in the previous few threads.

An you have been friendly polite an haven’t had a bad word to say about any other poster.

Only me have you singled out as a hauranger an ranter an somehow intimidater.

What you are covertly accuseing me off you are overtly doing to me.

Singleing me out belittleing my opinions as meaningless in one sentence

Contradicting your self in the next by saying my meaningless rants that don’t faze you some how stopped you from commenting because of?

So Miss Moore you know nought of me an by your contemptuous attitude towards not me but my posts .

You never will..

Have a fine day and an even finer life.

4. MDH says:

Obama has nothing to lose and should consider making ending the racist war on drugs part of his legacy. The Democrats have to ask this simple question:

Is doing anything that can be spun as favoring people of color really going to lose any votes vs. the Republican (White peoples) party. Seriously, I doubt that decriminalizing drugs and forgiving the so-called crimes of those tarnished by drug war is going to lose the Democrats any votes that they already have. In fact, it might get some of the libertarian votes.

Also, there is a saying that America likes a fighting man.

For far too long, the Democrats have cowed when faced with the lame Republican “soft on crime” argument. It is time to tell them to go f themselves.

The war on drugs stains the honor of our nation.

Off topic.

While visiting metro Detroit, I witnessed a boy run into a car with his bike. He was OK. He flew over the top of the car and bumped his head. When he asked me if he was ok, I noted a nice round red mark with some blood from his head hitting concrete, and told him that it was nothing to worry about.

The above reminds me of what a head impact with concrete looks like vs. those scratches on poor little GZ cream puff liar wimpo.

I wonder if, B37, thins the boy had the right to kill the driver in that it was clearly a case of assault by deadly concrete by the driver lying in wait for his prey by suddenly pulling out from a blind alley 🙂

5. ay2z says:

For anyone wanting to watch a complete version of the Naomi Wolfe lecture, this is a video version, of the lecture. over 1 hr long. (It’s linked upthread, but could be lost in the replies)

Here’s one for the Midnight Hour

You guys are having too much fun! I just took a break from a class video and came across this – http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stand-up-for-trayvon-martin-by-amending-stand-your-ground/2013/08/16/be0cc858-035e-11e3-9259-e2aafe5a5f84_story.html

8. acemayo says:

Will Michael Dunn get to wear a suit to trial?

How can 100 poeple witness the shooting?

The Florida Times-Union at Jacksonville dot com

A delay because the defense attorney needs to interview more than 100 witnesses? Really??? This happened at a Gate Station/ Mart, and I have never seen more than 20-people max at any one given time at this place. This is where I purchase my gas from on a weekly basis, and have done so since it was built. This is just a ludicrous excuse. A witness is considered someone that was at the scene of the crime and saw how it all went down. There is no way Dunn is walking away with this, and yes it is 1st-degree murder. Any character witnesses on Dunn’s behalf will be filled with lies and will do very little for his defense. I am assuming that there will NOT be anyway that there will be a bail reduction offer during this waiting period. We need to make certain that Dunn never has an opportunity to be released from behind bars, and lives the rest of his life that HE created for himself right where he is at until he moves into his new Condo with the Big-Boys.

[I edited your comment embedding the link for you]

• Yes, every jail inmate has a right to wear civilian clothes when they go to trial before a jury. If they have a suit and tie and want to wear them, they can.

More than once, I purchased suits and ties for clients who did not have any.

The witnesses aren’t necessarily eyewitnesses to the shooting. It will include character witnesses and people who last saw Dunn at his son’s wedding, the people that the prosecution plans to call 0 cops, medical examiner, etc. – anyone who may be called to testify for whatever reason.

9. ay2z says:

Crane, for tomorrow, skip the serious stuff and hit the play buttons on these last part of the day entries. Ease in slowly to the topics with a smile and chuckle first.

10. ay2z says:

Dance act, senior set meets MJ

11. ay2z says:

Respected Sir…. not getting too highbrow???

Striking lesson in keeping the upper lip stiff.

12. Deborah Moore says:

Elijah, if the Palemino was still there in North Hollywood, less than a couple miles from my old home, I’d say…Let’s Do it!
    Alas.
    Took my Daddy to see Ricky Nelson there, just shortly before his death. Ricky’s. They are both gone now.
    First time Daddy saw me drinking and kicking up my heels.
    It was good.

• elijah says:

You saw Ricky Nelson & the Stone Canyon Band with your dad, whoaaa. So I play banjo with Brooks & Dunn – here I am in their Hillbilly Deluxe Video. I’m from LA & the band was all from Nashville/Baton Rouge & they were the most intelligent progressive crew I ever played with on the road. There’s good just & strong people out here with us!

• I went to a Brooks and Dunn concert in Spokane and had a helluva good time. Great band.

Damn hot video with enough sexual subplots to make my head spin, including steamed up windows in a pickup truck and a freakin’ fight.

Lord have mercy.

Really well done.

Mighty fine banjo for an el lay guy!

13. Elijah says:

And from my record collection – I bring you the Possum himself – a voice I can’t go a week without listening to. The late great Mr. George Jones. Just drunk enough….

• Deborah Moore says:

Oh, hell, yah!
      Bless your pea pickin’ heart, Elijah. It is Friday night, and if it wasn’t so durn hot, I’d put my cowgirl boots on. (CG boots and shorts are such an LA look.)
      Brooks And Jones.

14. Drew says:

Someone show Obama the pepper gas footage, quick. Maybe it’ll sway him.

15. The Sun never sets on the Witch Doctor!

16. Of course, I cannot now resist the urge . . .

Oh my God, what’s happening to me??????????

17. Well, I heard him say in a voice so gruff, “I wouldn’t eat you ‘cuz you’re so tough.”

18. Crane had an emotionally draining visit.

She appreciates the best wishes and welcome backs and wants everyone to know that she’ll be back in touch tomorrow.

19. Elijah says:

This world is completely corrupt. Nepotism, territory, historical grudges, poverty, ignorance remain the norm. However, I’m still stealing joy from this very short and extremely unpredictable journey. Amongst the heartbreak – there is meaning, purpose and Vegas baby, report back soon. I’m glad the Dunn case was moved, the story will get more media attention after the holidays.

• Deborah Moore says:

Hi Elijah. You may be right about the time frame getting more Umph from the new time date.
      Joy to you.

• ay2z says:

This is why we need our little musical excursions from time to time, to a full-blow-out bash evening as happened with Crane’s b-day.

If Crane is up and ready to bop…. this song always reminds me of Seattle, for some reason. Seafood, mama!!

Crane…. welcome back!

20. ay2z says:

“The founders wrote the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution in a state of fear” and why they put in “a system of checks and balances that is so beautiful.” They understood clearly that “any nation, any leader, could become corroded by unchecked power.”

Naomi Wolfe, Investigative Journalist

• ay2z says:

‘What the Founders Knew’ video clip

I don’t know the individuals in Prof’s last two articles, but no matter, it is critical to fight for the right choice for the people, for full and transparent, uncompromised democracy.

21. colin black says:

When humans live in society citys all false enviroments like polar bears in Zoos can an do go crazy.

Our natural environment is as small family groups hunting an gathering what we need when we need it.

Probably no other humans in sight as far as the horizion stretches.

No borders no money all falce environs.

Farming an technology have propelled our species within a few generations from subsistence hunter gatheres.

Into a tottaly alien eviroments nature an natural selection never preparared us for.

Our instincts have not haad the chance to move an develop at the speeds thease false habitats rules an regulations that have enveloped us .

That’s why we have such a crazy messed up world with seemingly unremitting wars violence both planned an random .So many have to self medicate just to compe not with the stress an strain of modern society.

But just with society in genral even living in towns as oppose to small settlings is a face environment Imagine the adddded pressue of Citys

An have you noticed that the easier tech makes life an how much better we had it than our parents an they there parents.

Like hoovering instead of brush an dustpan

Micro wave food in mins instead of hours.

The further tech advances the crazier we seem to be getting?

Its because every new drug or fetilisser the pharms develop every up grade on an IPod

Or flatscreen tv s the thickness of a cig paper just takes us further an further down the rabbit hole an away from natural nature/.

• ay2z says:

Excellent, Colin.

Next nw video clip in this series (same lecture) will back up this statement of yours, thanks for the springboard!

Colin wrote:

• Deborah Moore says:

You sure do spend a lot of time hauranging, Mr. Black.
      Some of it matters to me, and some of it doesn’t.

• colin black says:

Im so sorry if you find my posts haurageing an tedious just cast your eyes down to the next poster.

Im sorry I seam to have offended you also with as you claim another haurangeing post over people whom hah an get touchy feely .

An that some how I a stranger an to my knowlage have never met you?

Would some how know you were a touchy feely person an is you read my entire post.

I was not haurangle tactile people nor ovrly tactile people.

But dissengenuious people wether they use there toung or insincere hugs is what irks me.

So how you could possably construe from that tirade that you may have been included is Im afraind beyond my ken.

An I suppose that’s why Im not a people person an stick to minein own whom ken love an get me.

I honestly was not having a personal dig at you or anyone on this forum with that harangement.

An if you felt slighted well It most certainly was neither my intent or purpose when tapping out the keys.

22. Good afternoon everyone. Welcome back, Crane.

Professor, I’m now reviewing Stamper’s info and other materials that you’ve cited and also viewing the videos posted by ay2z. I didn’t know Stamper had a change of heart after WTO. Interesting.

• ay2z says:

The U.S. National Security Agency has broken privacy rules or overstepped its legal authority thousands of times each year since Congress granted the agency broad new powers in 2008, The Washington Post reports.

Most of the infractions involve unauthorized surveillance of Americans or foreign intelligence targets in the United States, both of which are restricted by law and executive order. They range from significant violations of law to typographical errors that resulted in unintended interception of U.S. emails and telephone calls, the Post reported Thursday, citing an internal audit and other top-secret documents provided it earlier this summer from NSA leaker Edward Snowden, a former systems analyst with the agency.

• ay2z says:

Video report on the page. Washington Post is the original source, NSA broke the rules thousands of time, unauthorized gathering of info including on Americans.

23. ay2z says:

Welcome. I was confusing the categories, am making these unlisted, not private, for the time being.

24. The Florida Times-Union reports:

Circuit Judge Russell Healey granted a motion Thursday to delay the trial of Michael David Dunn, which was set to begin Sept. 23. A new date for the trial was not set, but Healey said he wanted it to occur sometime between mid-January and early February.

Defense attorney Cory Strolla made the motion, saying he would not be ready for trial until next year. Strolla said more than 100 witnesses need to be interviewed, and he wouldn’t have time to do that in the next month.
    State Attorney Angela Corey, who is personally prosecuting Dunn, said she had no objections.

The trial date continuance was expected and unopposed.

• Girlp says:

I hope this is not going to be another fixed trial.

• ladystclaire says:

With Angela Corey’s hand in this, I wouldn’t put it past her. She turned out to be nothing but a damn snake in the grass, whose intentions were not to get a conviction against Trayvon’s murderer.

I have no use for this woman and, how she helped the murderer of an innocent child get away with his crime. How could she pray with Trayvon’s parents, and then make sure their son’s murderer walked? Imo she is as big of a POS, as the one who killed this 17 year old child.

25. I posted a link to the Terry v. Ohio case and recommend that everyone take a few minutes to read it.

There is no question in my mind that George Zimmerman racially profiled Trayvon Martin and executed him as John Guy said: because he wanted to, not because he had to in order to save his sorry ass.

Mere suspicion is insufficient as a matter of law. Terry v. Ohio requires objective facts to support a suspicion. Although Terry applies to police officers and not to private citizens, there is no question that a police officer would have acted unlawfully in violation of Terry, if he had detained or attempted to detain Trayvon.

I agree. I think citizens should not have any more leeway than cops or soldiers have in their rules of engagement. There SHOULD BE a duty to retreat in public places to discourage the sort of behavior that Fogen engaged in.

• ay2z says:

From Terry v Ohio

To give the police greater power than a magistrate is to take a long step down the totalitarian path. Perhaps such a step is desirable to cope with modern forms of lawlessness. But if it is taken, it should be the deliberate choice of the people through a constitutional amendment. 39*39 Until the Fourth Amendment, which is closely allied with the Fifth,[4] is rewritten, the person and the effects of the individual are beyond the reach of all government agencies until there are reasonable grounds to believe (probable cause) that a criminal venture has been launched or is about to be launched.

There have been powerful hydraulic pressures throughout our history that bear heavily on the Court to water down constitutional guarantees and give the police the upper hand. That hydraulic pressure has probably never been greater than it is today.

Yet if the individual is no longer to be sovereign, if the police can pick him up whenever they do not like the cut of his jib, if they can “seize” and “search” him in their discretion, we enter a new regime. The decision to enter it should be made only after a full debate by the people of this country.

Thanks for this important and timely link, Prof. Will read thoroughly later, but on a quick look, this stood out.

• kllypyn says:

Trayvon tried to retreat.

26. ay2z says:

Yes, but what is the ultimate purpose of DHS? (named ‘homeland’, a term Hitler used)

Which candidate would support the ‘DHS’, the use of a paramilitary force that can act on the NSA’s information gathering to act against the citizens of the US in a way that the government military never could?

Another clip for thought.

• looneydoone says:

Fred,
        Norm Stamper’s actions made you throw up on a public street in Seattle…many years before that, his SWAT team kicked in my front door, yanked me out of the shower and held a automatic rifle on me as I dressed. Then handcuffed and manacled me before “escorting” me outside where teevee News camera crews were stationed in anticipation of the big arrest they’d been tipped off to.

The many charges were dropped prior to my scheduled arraignment . I hated that cop for years, but he’s now someone I respect and admire

• Sorry you had to endure that awful experience.

• looneydoone says:

Fred,
            The worst part of it all was explaining to my Grandmother why she’d seen me on the news…
            and yeah, it was what motivated me to move out of the city limit the day I was released from county jail. Know what they took as “evidence” ? An alfalfa covered candle the size/shape of a kilo of pot, a bottle of silica sand with a “coke” label, 2 board games (Beat the Border and Feds & Heads) and a poster size Hell’s Angel photograph

• Oh, my God!

Not Fed and Heads.

You vicious criminal, you.

How embarrassing . . . for them.

• cielo62 says:

Damn! A real criminal! Scared o’ you now! =^..^= meowza!

• looneydoone says:

HA!
            We outsmarted them…no one keeps shit in their personal residence. Always lease a stash house in a high income neighborhood 😉
            It’s been a long strange trip, but I’m all growed up now

• kllypyn says:

I also believe the second amendment should be repealed or amended because there are people who should never be allowed anywhere near a gun.Like zimmerman for example,a man with a known history aggressive behavior and violence against other people especially people weaker than himself. Like trayvon martin for example.

• This video is working . . . and disturbing.

• ay2z says:

The intro to the lecture is posted on the last thread. Naomi Wolfe speaking at the University of Lethbridge, Alberta Canada.

10 steps. The blueprint is well known and well used as a model of how a dictator in the waiting, can overthrow a democracy. And Naomi makes the point about how the Founders’ (US Founding Fathers) knew first hand, how easily a democracy could be overthrown, and that the default ffor human societies is tyranny, democracy is not the default, it is so fragile.

I’ll try to get this whole lecture posted in sections, but some of the points need to be made first so people will realize the importance of this information, US, Canada, anywhere in the world this has happened, and will always happen and there is a point of no return in the blueprint, when ‘the people’ are living in a shell of democracy (Germany was a democracy) with everything (even elections, courts) but their freedom — at this point, when the paramilitary has worked its way up from the marginalized in society, to the gathering up of the reporters, the activists, the outspoken clergy, people go quiet out of fear and it is over.

What has Naomi Wolfe done recently? I’d like an update on how the Obama administration has continued many of these policies. I remember hearing her on NPR a few years ago, but can’t remember if it was pre-2008 or later.

• ay2z says:

The INTRO video is now set correctly. I’ll link it here.

[Thanks, I am adding your apropos comment about Blackwater]

Black = schwarz

Water = Wasser

Schwarz wasser

• Thanks for fixing the video.

• greenwarrior4 says:

I’d like to watch the whole video. Can you include a link to it? Or a url? Thanks.

• ay2z says:

It’s a podcast, the link is on a server that doesn’t seem to work from outside the server site.

Will see if I can find something. There are other versions of this same lecture in different venues, maybe earlier versions. Got this a long time ago.

I’m going to try to get the whole thing on youtube, just takes a long time.

Will post here if I can find something.

• ay2z says:

Here is an interview on Youtube, talking about her ‘End of America’ lecture.

• ay2z says:

Another edition of this lecture, as a film.

• greenwarrior4 says:

Thank you so very much.

• greenwarrior4 says:

I just finished watching both clips and a couple others I found. Blockbuster! Thank you for sharing. She’s speaking with extraordinary courage and clarity. I just came back from getting the both from the library as well.

• Deborah Moore says:

About 5 years ago, Christy Harden Smith encouraged folks to go and meet with their representatives while they were home on Summer break.
      Someone I chatted with made an appointment at Daryl Issa’s office in Oceanside but didn’t want to go alone, so I drove from The Valley down that way.
      We didn’t meet with Daryl, but his top dog, Phil Polley (Pauly?) who actually told us we didn’t have an appointment, but he’d give us a few minutes. (He had the air off in the office and it was stifling.)
      We asked about why Issa was supporting building a complex near San Diego for Black Water. This Phil guy thought we were liberal loonies and said to us, I suppose you wouldn’t have a problem with the Salvation Army getting a large complex, would you? The whole meeting was very frustrating, but the best line we got from Phil was that Mr. Issa was just another bored millionaire.
      Phooey.