James “Whitey” Bulger, Federal Corruption and Erwin Schrodinger’s Cat

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Good morning to all our friends:

James “Whitey” Bulger was convicted by a federal-court jury in Boston yesterday of numerous gangland crimes, including 11 murders.

The New York Times reports,

The verdict delivers long-delayed justice to Mr. Bulger, 83, who disappeared in the mid-1990s after a corrupt agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation told him he was about to be indicted. He left behind a city that wondered if he would ever be caught — and even if the F.B.I., which had been complicit in many of his crimes and had relied on him as an informer, was really looking for him.

“This was the worst case of corruption in the history of the F.B.I.,” said Michael D. Kendall, a former federal prosecutor who investigated Mr. Bulger’s associates. “It was a multigenerational, systematic alliance with organized crime, where the F.B.I. was actively participating in the murders of government witnesses, or at least allowing them to occur.”

Mr. Bulger, leader of the notorious Winter Hill Gang, owned and terrorized South Boston, an Irish American enclave. Portraying himself as a “good” bad guy, he secretly agreed with the FBI to provide information about La Cosa Nostra in exchange for the FBI’s permission to conduct his illegal activities.

In the end, he was more concerned about maintaining his reputation as a man who would never snitch on anyone or ever kill a woman, despite evidence that did both.

I mention Mr. Bulger not only because his conviction is big news; I mention him because I want to draw attention to the FBI’s misconduct and remind everyone that it is not the proverbial rotten apple in federal law enforcement.

Consider Exhibit 1, for example, which is Operation Fast and Furious by which the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has supplied firearms and ammunition to Mexican drug cartels ostensibly to track where they went.

The War Against Drugs has been an endlessly corrupting influence that has reached into virtually every nook and cranny in the world, including world banking.

Consider this article by Jeremy Kuzmarov, the J.P. Walker assistant professor of history at the University of Tulsa.

Thought for today:

On another note, yesterday was Erwin Schrodinger’s 126th birthday.

Is your existence dependent on the existence of an observer who observes you, which would ultimately be God, or do you exist in an infinite number of multiverses?

Here’s Michio Kaku on the cat problem conjured up by Schrodinger.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

We thank everyone for their donations. Although the financial situation has improved, we remain uncomfortably close to the brink. If you can afford to and have not already done so, please take a few minutes to make a donation.

Producing articles every day and maintaining this blog requires substantial time and effort.

Consider where else will you see a story about Whitey Bulger, Operation Fast and Furious, the corrupting War on Drugs and the startling implications of Erwin Schrodinger’s cat?

Namaste

Fred

96 Responses to James “Whitey” Bulger, Federal Corruption and Erwin Schrodinger’s Cat

1. acemayo says:

‘Vigilante Justice’: Furious Detroit Residents Severely Beat (black) Man Accused of Raping 15-Year-Old Girl With Down Syndrome history repeat it self (white mob rule)
    history
    America Riots by the Numbers
    Between the years 1800 thru 2000 86% of riots was cause by race
    Why do we riot?
    Taxes, elections, police brutality, globalization, and Martin van Buren: Americans have rioted for many reasons, but a shocking amount are about race – anti-Irish and anti-German riots in the 1800s, anti-Chinese riots in the early 1900s, and countless anti-black riots the entire time.
    Of the riots in the chart above, I broke them into three general categories: race, religion, and politics (although race and politics are always tied together). Race riots generally start in an economically depressed place, triggered by a specific episode. Riots in the early 1900s were often triggered by the sight of an Irish, Greek, Chinese, or black man seen with a white woman. In 1921, a black shoeshiner tripped and brushed the arm of a white elevator operator. The Tulsa Tribune ran a headline: ’Nab Negro for Attacking Girl In an Elevator’. Two days of mayhem followed, leaving 39 dead.
    The causes assigned by whites in justification or explanation of lynching Black people include everything from major crimes to minor offenses. In many cases, Blacks were lynched for no reason at all other than race prejudice. Southern folk tradition has held that Negroes were lynched only for the crimes of raping white women, the nameless crime, and murder. However, the statistics do not sustain this impression

• FYI: When someone posts a comment with two or more links, the word press software diverts the comment into my pending folder. The program does not notify me. I was a researching and putting together a new post and missed your comment or I would have approved it sooner.

2. Deborah Moore says:

Good Morning, Fred, 2 sides, Bettykath, Elijah and all y’all.
    I’m looking forward to watching and listening to more Michio Kaku today.
    String this.

• Don’t forget to watch the Alan Watts vid that Tzar posted.

Brain food.

• Elijah says:

Good morn Deborah, Xena ,Colin, the hosts & the entire multiverse. Colin thank you for your intel on the Physicists. D, Thank your sis for what she does – she’s saving the world one student at a time. I begin today’s adventure in stellar company 😉

• Deborah Moore says:

I will tell Sissy thanks for you. She and I spent most of our careers working in the entertainment industry, NBC and Warner Bros., which used to be right down the street from each other and we ate lunch together quite often. She took an offered early retirement from a management position and went back to school to get her credential. I think she was inspired by her life partner who teaches theology at Loyola Marymount. He’s Muslim and has written several books, one entitled Oil and Water. They are each brilliant people and work in their own ways towards enabling Tolerance on many different levels.

A beautiful, thoughtful site that honors Trayvon and life. http://www.dot2dot.us/

In hard times, people turn on either whomever they fear, or whomever they feel is the lowest common denominator. For some it’s blacks, for others, it’s immigrants of one ethnicity or another.

Some time ago I mentioned a fb “friend”, the brother of a former classmate and his racist leanings. I didn’t unfriend him hoping that he might be able see that his views are definitely racist in spite of strong denials. We’ve had almost no private interaction. He’s baited me a couple of times, enough that I know where he’s coming from. Tonight he tried again. When I didn’t bite, he took his screed to a “community” site that we both belong to. 6 people on there blocked him, 6 others “liked” his post. 2 have pointed out that his topic is inappropriate to the purpose of the site. I have now unfriended him, but can still see his comments on the other site if I choose to go there.

One thing that Trayvon’s death and his killer’s acquittal has done is bring the racism front and center. For a long time it has festered under the surface such that it was seen primarily only by those being abused by it. Now it’s out there in all its ugliness for us all to see just how wide spread it is.

I think that part of uptick is due to so many people struggling with smaller wages, fewer jobs, greater expenses. They don’t understand the underlying causes, so they need to find a boogey man, someone else who is responsible for their struggles.

I wandered over to Turley’s blog (I still like to read some of the weekend posts from his guest bloggers). Turley posted about Tawana Brawley being found by one of her rapists and how she owes him over $400,000 and he garnished her wages for nearly $4000 in one year. The posts about Tawana were pure hatred.

One of the guest bloggers posted a good article about bigotry. Most of the regulars, the ones I most respect, had to deal with comments from really ignorant people, some of whom are really hateful.

6. ay2z says:

There was a 50 percent chance that would be the wrong URL, and 50 percent it would be this one.

7. Deborah Moore says:

Totally OT, but I want to share a 70’s hit…

Smooth evening to you all.

8. Deborah Moore says:

Two Sides!
    Great and insightful comments tonight.
    I appreciate You.

9. dianetrotter says:

Is the Fast and Furious investigation still ongoing?

10. colin black says:

The F B I was born out of corruption with J edgar Hoover at the Helm he was a crook in the pocket of organised crime…

He went after two bit crooks like bonnie an clyde whom where homicidial maniacs whom robbed grocerie stores an garages.

An hinted there was a communist conspiracy behind every labour union or workers rights demos.

An yet refused point blank to admit there was any such thing as organised crime in America.

He illleagly taped an blackmailed presidents to ensure his continued presence as head of the F B I .

A lesson he no doubt learned from Lucky Luciano whom had comprimised J Edgar from the get go .

And had all sorts of incriminateing goods on the director an his boy friend..

The Dalai Lama has an interesting mind, playing between the spiritual and the scientific. There are tenets and teachings of Tibetan Buddhism that meet the boundaries of quantum physics.

12. Elijah says:

Erwin Schrödinger the father of quantum mechanics – excellent call. So about that cat hidden in a box. No matter what the physical system, without direct observation, you can’t honestly say what something is doing. I’d have to say it can be any of many things it can be doing—even if the chances are minute. Haven’t thought of Schrodinger in a long time – discovered him and Bucky Fuller around the same time. Thank you!

• Deborah Moore says:

Elijah!
      We live near each other. In this particular convergence of aspects.
      I hope you are near the ocean or something else very cool.
      I live snuggled in the foothills.
      I really enjoy your comments. Okay, the name is a turn on too.
      You know what I mean, I hope. (Nothing funky or juvenile.)

• Elijah says:

Sweet D. Moore – San Gabriel valley I presume. I’m a product of the San Fernando valley, Encino to be exact! I sold out & live on the Westside now! I’m a fan of yours DM, I look forward to your posts. And please flatter away, I live for funky & juvenile. 1 more thing, can you beleive that the LAUSD has already started their school year this past Monday!

• Deborah Moore says:

Elijah. Not San Gabriel…the San Fernando Valley. I live in Sylmar, up in the NorthEast end of the Valley. A quiet, sleepy little town near San Fernando.
          I’ve lived in Sherman Oaks, which is, okay, like, right next to Encino, fer sure.
          My sissy lives in Marina Del Rey and drives to Burbank every day to teach 4th graders. She’s a real trooper, I’ll tell ya.
          Hope to see you here later today.

• Soulcatcher says:

Elijah, welcome. I believe that makes at least four of us from So Cali. I live in La Quinta, about 15 miles from Palm Springs.

• colin black says:

Erwin Schrodinger detested quantum Physics he devised the theortical mind experiment with the cat in a box being either alive or dead or in both states at once to show how ludicrous the idea was.

He an A Einstein did all they could to belittle the theory A Einstein eventually came round to the idea.

Schrodinger never did an yet ironicly his name is for ever linked to a theory he loathed.

• colin black says:

The discovery of quantom mechanics began with Max Planks constant an the type of energetic particle we now call photons.

Max Born, Werner Heisenberg. an Wolfgang Pauli a group of German Physisists were the true Fathers of Quantom Mechanics.

13. Tzar says:

My existence depends on no one but me and yours depends on no one but you. As natural phenomena, you and I exchange energy with our surroundings and other living systems, in a wonder-filled internecine dance (some would say battle) between the dominant blind force of entropy and our natural anti-entropy metabolic machinery. This pas de deux only has one ending, entropy is always “victorious, as it appears now that we have an internal clock that tells out machinery when to stop fighting entropy and die.

But indeed if you doubt my original premise-that your existence is a material and cosmological fact and artifact, that has forever left its butterfly effect in the world since sperm met egg- you can prove it to your intuition, just get in your car and drive as fast as you can towards a wall, the closer you approach your viable breaking distance, the realer life seems, I presume you will instantly know that life is real noumenally.

In this simple game of chicken you may find the thing that makes life real: the tyranny of quanta. Because if you pass the threshold out of your safe breaking zone and into the space where no amount of breaking will save you from hitting that wall, you will learn that no amount of wishing or hoping will stop you from hitting that wall, Your reality is now plain in front of you and no amount of cognition will dominate it, It now dominates you, you will find yourself lost in its enveloping grasp if only for a few seconds.

PS: consider trying this with just some ice skates at the local ice skating rink first. or better yet ask a soldier who been shot at how real life feels.

• In the multiverse theory I hit the brakes and stop before hitting the wall in one universe, hit the wall and die in another universe, write this comment to you in this universe and do everything else possible in each of an infinite number of other universes.

And all of this happens outside time because there is no time.

In other words, we exist as an infinite set of probabilities that collapses into one of those probabilities in the presence of an observer.

Our entire life experience is one of those infinite probabilities.

• ay2z says:

Upon what should dust alight?

The dust alights on everything in my place 🙂

• Deborah Moore says:

*Snort!*
            Me too.
            Dust is so non-judgmental and lies where it will.
            Sometimes with the wind.
            (cue the music.)

• ay2z says:

Dust? What dust?

If nothing at the root exists… 😉

• You all have thoughtful comments says:

Speaking of dust:

Any religion that professes to be concerned with the souls of men and is not concerned with the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them, and the social conditions that cripple them is a dry-as-DUST religion.

-Martin Luther King

• ay2z says:

Cosmic dust of the multiversai (that correct plural form?) even have the properties that allow it (or is it ‘they’, aka ‘dustai’ or ‘dustettes’) to alight on anything in existence or not?

• Deborah Moore says:

I’ll tell you something about me, Fred. I love to read. I read a lot of fiction. There is a novel by Dean Koontz entitled From The Corner Of His Eye. Deals with quantum stuff.
        The mother of a young boy sees that her son is special when they are at a cemetery to visit his father’s grave, it is raining. When they get back in the car, the boy is totally dry. Asked how this happened, the son says I walked where the rain wasn’t.
        I’m very drawn to this theory of multiple universes.

I think there’s both an infinite probability and an infinite possibility that this theory could be so! Whatever we can think of can be made manifest.

• Tzar says:

I don’t buy the multiverse theory for two reasons
        time is linear like entropy
        and time is linear like entropy
        I really don’t want to get into relativity unless you force me to 😆

• Tzar says:

speaking of time
        I share with you one of my favs (I suspect you already know him)

• colin black says:

James Bond would simply sip a shaken Martini an hit the ejector seat in his car.

An float down serenely sipping away underneath his parachute.

In this or any other universe OO7 always survives imminent death.

14. Girlp says:

My son told me about Portugal so I looked it up here is the article: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

I do not promote drug use but what we are doing is not working we need to get rid of the feel good solutions and really do something to help those addicted to drugs.

• Been awhile since I read about Portugal’s solution to their drug problem. They were managing it rather sensibly and effectively, as I recall, without locking everybody up forever.

• Girlp says:

Locking up people for years does not address the problem of addiction I believe our current system is a feel good solution it makes people feel like somethings being done and it is only it does not help the addict, most seek out drugs as soon as they get out. We should be looking at more effective solutions.

• Soulcatcher says:

@Girlp, most seek out drugs when they are locked up, and many times it is made available to them by the people who are in charge of keeping them locked up.

• Girlp says:

I’ve read me news artices where prision guards are arrested for that; prison guards are poorly paid so I’m not surprised.

• Soulcatcher says:

@Girlp, some may be paid poorly, but others paid well. I think it has to do more with the saying, anything can be bought at a price. They are just like police and sheriff, you have the good ones and the corrupt ones. I guess that can be said about any profession.

• aussie says:

A very large number being locked up are not addicted, anyway. They like the occasional smoke. The same way as other people like a drink.

15. Drew says:

The victims of this guy brought it upon themselves. Should have known better than to associate with such a lowlife. I’m so sick of white-on-white crime.

• ay2z says:

Just curious, why the ‘white on white’ description? I think I’m missing something.

Tongue in cheek because the wingnut types carry on so much about black on black crime. Ya know, we’re not supposed to be concerned about Fogen killing a black kid because there’s so much black on black crime we’re supposed to be up in arms about.

• ay2z says:

Thanks. Otherwise, that term itself becomes a racist entity. Snarks are good though. I’m not able to read so much recently, so can miss the point sometimes.

• Deborah Moore says:

I wondered about that too. But, I see 2 sides response.

16. J4TM says:

Hi all and hi Prof and Crane!

OT too for the moment.

The website is straight dope!

One time in Rockland County NY I wanted to organize a mass citizen’s arrest and have 100 women go on trial (separately) for “unlawful restraint” because here was my plan:

Judge William W. Warren of the Family Court up there would not allow ANY evidence into court if a father molested his kids. He would refuse to allow doctors to testify, he would hold lawyers in contempt for trying to file things, he would prevent the evidence from coming in PERIOD and to take an appeal was expensive so most of the time, no consequences at all for anyone. There was a molester up there who was so obviously guilty that it didn’t even bear mentioning. BOTH of his daughters were hospitalized for sexually transmitted diseases they had caught from HIM at the age (daughters) of six and nine. A surgeon at the hospital turned in a suspicion of sex abuse report to CPS but they refused to investigate. The administrator of Nyack Hospital sent the older girl home to daddy without a discharge summary so there would be no information under “diagnosis.”

So I proposed that 100 women would surround the molester — uh, the alleged molester — and some of us would handcuff him and we would take him down to the police station and read him the charges. Then we would all get arrested and charged with a felony “unlawful restraint” charge and get appointed counsel. We would all insist on separate trials and tell different stories about what we did, what we saw, etc. but none of us would sign statements. We would all fire our PD’s and go pro se. We would plead NG and we would demand a trial. We would demand jury trials.

At each jury trial we would defend ourselves by first letting the prosecution put on the charges, and then testifying in our own defense. Our defense was our reasonable belief that the guy had molested his daughters. It wouldn’t fly, legally, but we would each tell it to a jury of our peers. We would get some attention and the story would get told 100 times.

I loved the idea. I had eight women organized for the action when the MOTHER of the two girls vetoed the whole thing and took a position inimical to us and disrupted everything. I didn’t know what on earth her motivation could be until I realized she was having an affair with her (married) lawyer and he told her that she had to do that or he couldn’t represent her any more.

Of course she lost everything and the story never got told and the judge prevailed and the kids spent the rest of their childhood being taught by their daddy how to be good porn stars.

17. looneydoone says:

Who are the the global “drug lords” ? The CIA, who’s agents all have diplomatic status courtesy the US Dept of State. CIA arrives first, establish the new cartel’s network…then the “drug war” expands while they ride herd over their black ops funding sources.

18. ay2z says:

Can’t stomach listing to this Taaffe raw and uncut, overview presents this as the new hero, with bullet points covered including the tank’s political aspirations. “ARRGHH!!!!” (to quote Lucy, Charlie Brown’s playmate)

(may not be as it seems, hope it’s not making him out to be the hero, maybe someone else has the fortitude).

• Deborah Moore says:

Why would you want to allow that Ugly into your life?
      Don’t listen, but here’s the link?
      I don’t get it.

Deborah, It’s always a good idea to know what the “other” guy is up to. I have trouble listening to him, too and will probably not go there, but it’s good to have the link just in case.

• Deborah Moore says:

Hey, ya, bettykath.
          I understand the thought of understanding the enemy.
          But, goodness, right now I’m guiding my being through the journey of grasping the Mushio Kaku 6 part series.
          Different universes.
          It’s frustrating when we are limited by Only So Many Hours in a Day.
          bk!

Oh, yes. My days are way too short for all that I want to do. And the older I get the shorter the days!! How does that happen? Another thing I need to do is figure out the time/space stuff that makes that happen. And how does it happen that time accelerates as we get older b/c it sure did creep along when I was younger. It seems to be unique to each person – slow time for youngsters and fast time for oldsters. Do we each have an internal clock that accelerates over time? Ouch, I just a got a headache. Time to wash dishes or vacuum or something else mindless.

Some say time has sped up for everyone in these last years of a universal cycle. My youngest kids sometimes say that time doesn’t seem particularly slow to them as it did when I was their age.

Bettykath, in Garcia-Marquez’s “Hundred Years of Solitude” Ursula Buendia, at age 90-something, makes the observation that the quality of time has changed. No sooner does a child get born but he is off to school with his hair slicked down; wars get started and wrapped up more quickly than you can figure out who is doing what to whom, etc.

Magnificent passage. She noticed these things from the shadows of blindness and clarity.

• Tzar says:

bunch of masochists 😆

• ay2z says:

Deborah, I was hoping it would be an exposé and not a promo, thought maybe others had dared to open the link and find a nice surprise rather than what it appears to be.

Today, for me, wasn’t the day for that !

(probably hope beyond hope that this was not as it seems)

🙂

• Deborah Moore says:

Every day is different, for everyone.
          Today I got off into a different link…
          Maybe next time I’ll go off onto a link that you share.
          It’s all wonderful.
          (But, I do try to avoid ruining my “beautiful little mind.)

Taffee’s about as much as a hero as these folk – http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/08/13/anthony_s_karen_a_photojournalist_s_unrestricted_access_to_the_ku_klux_klan.html?wpisrc=most_viral

Ain’t exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, but they may be the loudest.

Okay. Wow. This is deep. I’ll think on it and get back to ya’ll.

This is OT for this current thread but I thought it was worth a few laughs:

😆

21. Deborah Moore says:

Thank you for the post, Fred.
    I started to watch Michio Kaku’s talk, but realized I will have to get my head into a different Space for that.
    I’m going to run out, drive down the hill actually, and get a few things. When I return and settle myself, I face the black hole/white hole possibilities.
    Oh boy. I get to expand my brain today.

• It’s part 5 of a 6 part series.

Don’t forget to check out the other 5.

• Deborah Moore says:

I saw that and I’ll be listening, starting at number 1.
        I find that sometimes when my hands are busy with mindless chores, my mind can drift to other places.
        I’ve got some stuff to do while I’m floating….
        Fred!

• Deborah Moore says:

Fred, I’ve listened to Part One three times in a row, and I took a break and I might be ready for Part Two now.
          (Do I look different, now that my mind’s being blown?)

22. lurker says:

I haven’t read it, but I understand that the decision finding New York’s Stop and Frisk unconstitutional made multiple references to Trayvon Martin.

Some days things go right.

23. crazy1946 says: