Sunday, September 22, 2013

Good morning:

CAUTION: Disturbing Video

CNN reported yesterday:

The family of a Florida man has released video of his death, hoping to get criminal charges filed against the police officer who ran him over.

On May 8, Marlon Brown was being chased by DeLand police because they allegedly saw that he was not wearing a seatbelt. At a dead-end road, Brown stopped his car and started running.

One of the police cars hit and ran him over, its dashcam video recording the entire incident.

Last week, a grand jury decided not to indict officer James Harris on a criminal charge of vehicular manslaughter. That’s when the family decided to go public, and release the video.

“We knew it wasn’t going to be an easy video to watch,” says Krystal Brown the ex-wife and mother of Brown’s children, “but in order to obtain justice, and that’s what we’re looking for, we knew it was something that we had to do.”

Although the DeLand Police Department fired the officer who executed Mr. Brown and the City of DeLand settled a wrongful death claim with the family for $550,000 (without admitting liability), the State Attorney for Florida’s 7th judicial district R.J. Larizza decided to present the evidence to the grand jury instead of filing charges, which he could have done as Angela Corey did with George Zimmerman.

The grand jury declined to charge the officer with a crime last week after two days of testimony.

Yet another disgusting example of racism in Florida.

32 Responses to Florida grand jury refuses to charge police officer who executed a black man with his cruiser

1. Rachael says:

My God!!!! wtf is it with florida??? how do the people there get that way?

• Deborah Moore says:

That was my response to this post to, Rachel. Never ever going near that state.
      But, as the ocean rises, they’ll all be under water anyway.
      I’m not usually one for pre-schedenfreud (or whatever that word is), but that was another response I just felt.

• colin black says:

Its German English translation is Shamefulll Joy

In other words to get joy from others despair.

An its a tiny amount of people whom cause thease horrific acts.

Look at Ted Bundy he came to Florida an caused carnage same with Aileen Wurneroos transplanted herself to Florida an caused carnage.

Just because its got a temprate climate an attracts a lot of emigrees is no reason to hate on a State.

Happy Sunday everyone.

2. colin black says:

People are people its not the environment that’s to blame.

Place it were its deserved at us Humans an not on a geographical locale.

As I said a few days ago most of thease tragic ocourances are caused be people having moved to Florida from elsewhere.

3. colin black says:

Florida doesn’t have to wait until oceans rise to be under water.

It sits a top the largest under water aqauferns in America aqaferns huge caves an underground river systems.Thats why Florida is so swampy an also why its prone to sink holes.

• Deborah Moore says:

Happy Sunday, Colin.
      I know, I know. All in all, and anyway, I flat out don’t do reptiles. No snakes, no alligators. My son does have a red tongue slidder turtle in his tank and I’ve actually gotten to like him. The turtle And the son.

4. Dave says:

How in the hell could they tell whether he was wearing a seatbelt or not?

• Rachael says:

idk but here they have I don’t know what you call it but certain times no let you know they’re going to be like on seatbelt patrol, usually around holiday time, and they have this big campaign called click it or ticket. And it used to be they would just stop you but now you actually get a ticket for it so they can tell. I guess they look and see if you have a shoulder strap because just the lap seatbelts aren’t enough anymore

• They probably could not tell and lied about it in order to create a cover story for pulling him over for driving while black.

If he had not run away, they would have pulled him out of the car and messed with him until they found something to arrest him for and if they had not found anything, they would have thrown dope on him and arrested him for that.

You can tell to some degree from a vehicle following if you can see the chest belt parted pulling over the shoulder from the side.

However, last time I looked, police don’t get to run over people.

Has anyone started a petition?

• Soulcatcher says:

When I lived in Sac, Ca, on one paticular street, several times I noticed the police would walk down the middle of the street right before you had to stop at the light. The would look inside you car, if you did not have your belt on, they would wave you over to the side, into a parking lot, where you would be issued a ticket.

Also, like they check points they have on weekend nights to see if you have been drinking, they have them know to see if you are licensed. You unroll the window and hand the officer your license. You’re stuck like chuck, no escape route.

5. I don’t hate anyone because it’s a waste of energy and I have far more important things to do with the energy that I have.

This is not to say that energy fields do not differ from one place to another.

6. Deborah Moore says:

I’m with you, Fred, in that I prefer to spend my energy on actions that have a positive affect. Hate is a dark hole with no positive outcome.
    My honey and I were just talking about how we spend more time thinking, figuring and ruminating. I guess when we were younger, we were too busy.

7. colin black says:

To lazy to chase after him?

Did you see the girth of the LE guy that got out to check on the victim.

He was packing a lot of unessesry fat for an on duty law enforcer.

8. MichelleO says:

My friends who know me very well, know that I refer to Florida as Planet of the Apes. It’s that racially backwards and scary. We all noted that people who were born and raised there did not have this sentiment, as they were conditioned from birth to accept the place the way it is.

9. colin black says:

The foggage one went hell for leather chaseing after I suspect some Blahck person for non wearing a seat belt.

Using his cell illeagally to phone 911 whist in hot persuit of his perp..

And of course the officer wont get charged he will get some full time paid leave an counciling for his distress.

It s the guys fault for running after all they will say he could have been armed or he could have just commited a mass murder.

He should have just stayed still an let the police deal with him fairly as they tend to do with lone Blahck males or Females they encounter.

10. MDH says:

Don’t obey and we kill you for inconveniencing us is the motto of the PD.

IMO, the above is why George, the super cop, Zimmerman killed Trayvon. He got mad that “the suspect” did not do as he was told.

And this explains why the Sanford PD did not want to prosecute George.

Any black male who does not instantly submit to white authority is subject to execution without trial. In the mind of those “good people” like B37 it save the taxpayers money. Was it not her that said the trial was a waste of time?

I hate to say this, but it may be time for Black Americans to have an organization like the ANC.

What I just stated is a reason for so-called moderate whites who supported George to maybe think what justice is. Justice is not just throwing up your hands and saying “well, it was the law at work and the law is justice”. If that was true, then they would have no cause to criticize law abiding Germans who let the Holocaust happen. If you do not stand for justice for the other, then you stand for nothing.

• You all have thoughtful comments says:

Excellent post, MDH!!

This was a heinous act of a depraved individual who is backed up in his deed by the racist white power structure that has approved of his act by the verdict.

It is time for a non-violent, well-thought-out BLACK POWER response that hounds every act of injustice until change comes!
      You have my support!

Time for everyone to dust off those old, vintage political buttons!!

11. Tzar says:

well…it’s not that I don’t know what to say, It’s that my words are futile.

12. jm says:

After Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman trials I have no intention of visiting Florida. These 2 lying murderers walking around Florida plus the jurors who gave them freedom, plus the family who stands by these killers is making Florida look bad.

I used to visit Florida yearly but never again.

Looks like a felony murder to me and under cover of his badge. Some of these cops need to face charges and found guilty.

• Looks like murder 2 to me.

He intended to commit the act that resulted in Mr. Brown’s death and he committed that act with depraved indifference to human life.

• jm says:

bettykath says: “Better hiring practices, better training, and zero tolerance for the maiming suspects.”

I would like to know what the police are paid, what type of background checks are made, what are education requirements and are they tested for intelligence and psychologically.

I can’t imagine if pay is not sufficient that you would get top of the line police and if there is no money in certain areas does the police department have to lower their standards when hiring.

• The problem isn’t the police, the problem is the lack of repercussions for criminal behavior by the police. The failure to implement a citizen oversight committee that actually has real teeth and the ability to evaluate and comment to the press regarding their disagreement with police claims. The failure of the police protecting media to saturate the public with facts rather than the feelings of why the family/community is offended so as to blow off actual evidence of impropriety.

14. barbershoptalker says:

Here is another classic example of the George Zimmerman types that slip under the radar and actually make it onto the police force. The other was the cop that shoot the young man 12 time for just running towards him after he had wreck his car. Hate should be a crime within itself…less long killing someone as a result of that hatred

15. towerflower says:

I know my response won’t be popular……yes, it would have been better if the cop had pursued on foot instead of a vehicle but following in a vehicle isn’t uncommon. I also would like to know how fast he was driving when this occurred…this is something that hasn’t been released. It is clear on the tape that he stumbled and fell and then the police car ran over him.

Also in case if anyone didn’t know, he died of asphyxiation. His head was bent in such a way that he was asphyxiated due to them not getting the car and a chain link fence off of him in a timely manner.

Now for the rest of the story…..Mr. Brown, a son of an Atlanta police officer, was driving home at 12:36 am when he spotted a woman he knew and 3 of her friends. He asked what she was doing out and offered to take her and her friends to his home. They all climbed in when the police car passed–not the best end of town.. The cop probably used the seat beat excuse to see what was up but he didn’t get the chance. Mr. Brown told the friend that he wasn’t going back to jail and ran from the cop. The car he was in was still in motion when he decided to jump from it and run leaving the woman in the front to try and stop the moving vehicle.

They never said if there were any warrants out for him and I don’t understand why some run for such minor incidents, he would’ve only gotten a ticket for it.

But it isn’t just Florida, there are lots of states that have screwed up police. Just look at North Carolina and the case of Jonathon Ferrell, trying to get help after being in a serious car accident and is shot 10 times by the cops. Yes, they arrested the cop in this case but it should never have gotten to the point where this young man was shot.

• Police cruisers are not off-road vehicles. This cop drove into a vegetable garden to run over Mr. Brown.

The police chief fired him as soon as he saw the in-dash video, saying in effect, “we don’t train our officers to do that.”