Some of you may have wondered why I did not publish a new article today.
I was working on a complaint today against a mentally disturbed right-wing GZ supporter and cyber-stalker obsessed with destroying my good name and reputation. When I ignored him, he went after Crane-Station. You may have seen her angry response in comments this afternoon.
Keep in mind that wordpress is notoriously reluctant to get involved in disputes regarding whether someone libeled someone else and they make that clear in their Terms of Service.
I posted the following complaint at 3 pm this afternoon with wordpress:
1. My true name is Frederick Leatherman.
2. I am well known and respected in the criminal defense community, particularly in Washington State where I practiced criminal law for 30 years. I specialized in death-penalty defense and forensics, especially DNA testing. During that time, I also served as a forensic and DNA consultant. For example, I was a consultant to Barry Scheck and Peter Neufeld in the OJ Simpson case. I also am a former law professor. Now I am retired and operating my blog full time deriving an income flow from my work.
3. My wordpress hosted website is frederickleatherman.com
4. My personal and professional name is incorporated into my website name. I own this domain name.
5. My name and the excellent professional reputation that goes with it is my trademark.
6. I had 441,000 visits to my website in 2012.
7. Most of the visitors who came to my website, got there by entering my name into a search engine.
8. The name of this website that I am complaining about is:
9. The person who operates this website is intentionally using my personal, professional and domain name and trademark in his website name to attract search engine attention to his site.
10. This conduct constitutes trademark and possibly copyright infringement.
11. The person who operates this website is a cyber stalker obsessed with destroying my professional reputation by a persistent and ongoing pattern of willfully and intentionally publishing false and defamatory information about me on this site.
12. He began doing this approximately 10 months ago at this wordpress site:
13. Since he did not get any traffic at his site and no one commented, he created this site including my name in the name of the website in order to leach off my audience.
14. I understand your reluctance to deal with free speech issues, however, this person is not only defaming me, he’s using my personal and professional name to do so.
15. No one should be permitted to use part of an existing website’s name to draw traffic to their own website, particularly when the part they use is the owner’s personal and professional name and trademark.
16. Trademark and/or copyright infringement constitutes a violation of your Terms of Service.
Therefore, given the egregious nature of this person’s behavior, I respectfully request you close down both sites and ban him from using word press.
In the alternative, I respectfully request you close down this site and ban him from creating a new wordpress site that contains my name or any part of it.
Signed electronically: Frederick Leatherman
I received the following prompt response at 4:19 pm from wordpress:
Thank you for the report, it is very appreciated.
The reported site has been suspended from WordPress.com.
Terms of Service
I have provided law enforcement with details and the cyberstalker’s true name and address.